Where to "Lunch" in Rome?

Hello Everyone -

We're on the Navigator: 5/16 Monte Carlo to Athens and the first stop is Civitavecchia for Rome.

Our excursion is "Rome on the Lighter Side" which allows us personal time to wander and have lunch in addition to some structured time.

Can anyone recommend a wonderful place to have lunch? I haven't been to Rome in over 20 years.

We're wondering if anyone has taken this excursion and has any recommendations.

Many Thanks! :)

I haven't taken the tour, but if you can give an idea of what area of Rome you might be in at lunchtime I could make some recommendations.

Alternatively, you should realize that a "good" lunch in Rome won't be a quick affair. You may just want to grab a panini or slice of pizza on the run to allow more time for sightseeing.

Hello Everyone -

We're on the Navigator: 5/16 Monte Carlo to Athens and the first stop is Civitavecchia for Rome.

Our excursion is "Rome on the Lighter Side" which allows us personal time to wander and have lunch in addition to some structured time.

Can anyone recommend a wonderful place to have lunch? I haven't been to Rome in over 20 years.

Rome is a Huge city with fab restraunts on every corner

I would strongly suggest that you get up early and eat a very hearty breakfast. That will hold you, along with pizza or pannini, for the balance of the day. You don't want to spend a lot of time during your one day sitting down eating what would probably be an expensive lunch.

I haven't taken the tour, but if you can give an idea of what area of Rome you might be in at lunchtime I could make some recommendations.

Alternatively, you should realize that a "good" lunch in Rome won't be a quick affair. You may just want to grab a panini or slice of pizza on the run to allow more time for sightseeing.

Hello Cynthia,

i would love to hear some of your recommendations. This time in Rome we decided for a change of pace to just relax,feast, people watch and wing it. We're staying at the Grand Flora hotel on Via Veneto. Our only designated plans is the Rome by twilight walking tour. I thought we would enjoy a leisurely lunch, find some gelato for DH,stroll around, and then have dinner after our tour.

Thanks

Mari

Hello Cynthia,

i would love to hear some of your recommendations. This time in Rome we decided for a change of pace to just relax,feast, people watch and wing it. We're staying at the Grand Flora hotel on Via Veneto. Our only designated plans is the Rome by twilight walking tour. I thought we would enjoy a leisurely lunch, find some gelato for DH,stroll around, and then have dinner after our tour.

Thanks

Mari

I usually don't stop for a lunch myself; most of these are dinner suggestions (but they may serve lunch; I just don't have first-hand knowledge). My personal favorites from my last trip were Giggetto and Piperno (in the Jewish Ghetto area), and Cavour 313 (Enoteca near the Colosseum)

Near Pantheon:

La Campana --18/20 Vivolo della Campana-A few blocks north of the Pantheon--try the carciofi ala Romana or ala Giudea( braised or fried artichokes)-**One of the oldest restaurants in Rome**

Armando Al Pantheon -- Salita da Crescenzi, 30. Family place since 1961 with authentic Roman fare by Pantheon

Near Spanish Steps:

Ristorante Edy---Vicolo del Babbuino, no.4; between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps. Try Zuppa di faro e fagiole--a grain and bean soup. Also recommended tthere is Spaghetti Alcartocio( a pasta and seafood with a light sauce baked in a foil pouch)

Otello alla Concordia -- via della Croce, 81--near Spanish Steps

L' Orso -- 80 via dell'Orso-near Sp. Steps

Al 34 -- via Mario de' Fuori,no.34--near Sp. Steps

Hosteria da Pietro -- via Gesue Maria-near Sp. Steps-off Via del Corso

Near Piazza Navona:

Da Francesco--Piazza del Fico,no.29--near Piazza Navona---ask for pasta "cacio e pepe" ; with parmesan, ewes cheese and pepper. It is not on menu but the locals eat it. Also great pizza.

Da Tonino al Governo Vecchio -- via del Governa Vecchio, 18-near Piazza Navona

Pizzeria Baffetto -- via del Governo Vecchio,2--near Piazza Navona

Near Forum/Colosseum

Ristorante/Pizzeria Due Colonne; Via dei Serpentini no.91; near forum, coloseum (best minestrone)

La Taverna degli Amici -- Piazza Margana,37-Capitoline Hill

Cavour 313 -- Via Cavour; excellent enoteca, cannot go wrong with the daily specials

Trastevere

Trilussa Taverna – Trastavere

Sabatini -- Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere,13

Checco --Trastavere

Pizzeria San Calisto -- Piazza San Calisto-Trastavere

Other Locations

La Cisterna -- via della Cisterna, 13

Der Pallaro -- Largo dell Pallaro,15-near Campo di Fiori-fixed price-no menu-eat what they serve that day

Dino and Tony's Hosteria -- via Leone IV,60--near Vatican

Da Vito e Dina -- near Vatican

Ristorante Antica Taverna -- via Monte Giordono, no.13-near Vatican

Il Matriciano -- near Vatican

Uno e Bino -- via degli Equi,58-San Lorenzo

Tritone -- via dei Maroniti 1-3-5

Restaurants with a View

Taverna Ulpia is a great lunch place (dinner is expensive) where you can eat on its terrace which overlooks Trajan's forum, and which has ruins in the basement, viewable on request. Another restaurant for lunch or dinner with ruins in the basement is the Ristorante Da Pancrazio, Piazza del Biscione 92/94 (off Campo dei Fiori), built over the ancient theatre of Pompey, where Caesar was murdered. Do ask permission to see the basements. Finally, Giggetto, via del Portico d'Ottavia, 21 for lunch or dinner you can dine outdoors next to the ancient portico of Octavia, which is still half buried below the street, and then you can stroll around the neighboring theater of Marcellus (Jewish ghetto area).

RESTAURANTS FROM SLOW TRAVEL:

Near Piazza Navona

Osteria del Gallo, Vicolo di Montevecchio 27, 06-6873781

This is a charming, unassuming, classic Roman trattoria, tucked away on a quiet street away from the hustle and bustle of Piazza Navona. Try to get a table outside. The chef here is very sweet and enthusiastic - he came out of the kitchen to talk about my order, customizing things for a solo diner. The service is warm and friendly.

Ristorante Montevecchio, Piazza Montevecchio, 22/a 06-6861319

This tiny restaurant has inventive takes on Roman classics in a lovely, intimate setting. Everything here is done with great care and attention to detail. Be sure to make a reservation here; the dining room is the size of a postage stamp.

Ristorante Santa Lucia, Largo Febo, 06-8802427

This is my pick for a great seafood meal. The pastas are perfect, grilled scampi to die for, and lovely whole, roasted fish. It has a fantastic outdoor seating area, in the middle of the square, next to the pretty, ivy-covered Hotel Raphael. Twinkling lights are all around and there is plenty of lively people-watching.

Near the Pantheon

La Sagrestia, Via del Seminario 89, 06 6797581

I love this place and always go here for my Roman pizza fix. There is never a wait, the pizza is fantastic and the setting is sweet and simple. The food here is good too, they do a nice crispy artichoke, and you can get a small steak or some simple chicken dishes.

Myosotis, Via della Vaccarella, 3/5 06-6865554

I had such a wonderful meal here two years ago, I can close my eyes and still remember the grilled veal sweetbreads, drizzled with olive oil and a few drops of balsamico. They have a great wine list and really nice service, and are in a lively piazza that is great for people-watching, if you choose to sit outside.

Obika, Piazza Firenze, corner of Via dei Prefetti 06-6832630

This is a pretty cool place to worship all things mozzarella di bufala. The setting is funky and modern, and you can sit at the bar to have a small meal or plant at a table for a mozzarella tasting menu.

La Pigna, Piazza della Pigna, 06-6787993 and 06-6785555

This restaurant is a true gem and totally unknown by the tourist crowd; I am almost afraid to share it with anyone, so please keep it a secret! I had one of my best meals ever in life here, with a friend who lives in the neighborhood. Don't miss the antipasti, and let them choose for you; if puntarelle are in season, go for it!

In the Ghetto

Piperno, Via Monte de'Cenci 9, 06-68806629

This fabulous restaurant is not sitting on its laurels, despite its popularity. This is my pick for classic Jewish fare, especially the heavenly Carciofi alla Giudea. If the weather is nice, eat outside. Select a nice bottle of wine, and order multiple courses to share, and the meal will become epic. The waiters here are very knowledgeable, so take their advice, let them pamper you, and don't miss dessert.

Vinando, Piazza Margana 23, 06-69200741

I love this enoteca and restaurant, for many reasons. It is always open, from 10am to 1am, so it is a never-fail choice at odd times of the day. The menu is huge. You can have a number of small plates with your wine - yummy things to spread on toasted bread, platters of cheeses and cured meats, delicious salads and antipasti, fantastic pastas and secondi. Late at night, you may even catch the owner playing the piano and belting out a tune.

Il Sanpietrino, Piazza Costaguti 15, 06-68806471

This family-operated restaurant is great choice for a cozy dinner, just fancy enough to feel special, but still comfortable. The restaurant is at its best when serving honest, traditional food, but there are modern touches to the menu that can be surprisingly good. The seafood offerings are not to be missed.

Cynthia,

Thank you so much. What a list!

If you don't mind, I'll post it on the roll call page.

I'm sure others on our cruise would love to view it.

So many wonderful choices, it's going to be difficult to just pick a few.

Thanks again,

Mari

Hello Everyone -

If you walk across the Tiber river (lots of little bridges), there're tonnes of very quaint, moderately priced restaurants. Last time we were there, we ate at this place where there were mainly locals and the price was very good.

Archived