walking shoes

Pam-

They are called Charm- and I got the bone/silver pair... I think they are pretty cool.. I felt dorky at first, but get compliments on them. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wont feel bad if you say eww!

WindDown17, I stopped by my local Ecco store today; spent about 30 minutes trying on a few styles; and guess which pair I chose!

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I really like their look.

Pam

Thank you very much. They look great to me; I definitely will go to my local store and check them out. The two pairs I have (black and wine-colored) just are not right with capri's for summer sightseeing!

Hope you make out with them! I loved them so much I bought my 2 YO his own pair of Ecco for our trip!!

I have horrible feet- bunions that kill! And they are a dream.. anything that makes my feet feel good make me so happy! (But I cant wear my Ugg slippers walking in Europe..) :)

Hope you make out with them! I loved them so much I bought my 2 YO his own pair of Ecco for our trip!!

I have horrible feet- bunions that kill! And they are a dream.. anything that makes my feet feel good make me so happy! (But I cant wear my Ugg slippers walking in Europe..) :)

See my post from today (#27); I purchased a pair today, and will start breaking them in. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, what is a YO? (Young ???)

Pam

Yes.. My 2 year old (YO) son.. Even he has Eccos now!!

Let me know how you like them Pam- I really never experienced a break in period with them.. will be interesting if you find the same.. but I did need to go 1 size higher than usual inthis "model"..vs other Eccos.

Does anyone have plantar fasciitis? What shoes do you recommend? Thanks ! :confused:

This problem flares up for me every now and then when I spend too much time shoeless (my favorite in the house). I have high arches thus the pulling in the tendons. We were headed to a beach vacation in Jan., so I had a steroid shot in the heel about 3 weeks before. PERFECT! Come fall when we cruise, I'll do the same if needed.

In the meantime, I have to wear ANY brand shoe that has at least a 1 3/4 in. heel. I have NAOT and Teva sandals when I"m going casual and walking long distances. But figure I'll have to upgrade for the many miles at the ports. :rolleyes: My fit HAS to be personalized because of the arches.

I wear the highest heels I have in the evening on vacation to relieve the arches for the next day. Oh, and ibuprofen (6 a day) to relieve inflamation if needed...per doctor.

There are posts on the fashion board re this condition. But in general, no matter the person or condition, it's a ...try -on- till -you -find -the- right fit.

Does anyone have plantar fasciitis? What shoes do you recommend? Thanks ! :confused:

I have had it for years -- one of the reasons I retired from teaching. Retirement (and not standing for long hours on hard floors) really really helps;) I also found that Foot Solutions orthodics were much softer and kinder to my feet than the RX ones provided by the podiatrist. Just my opinion. I also got Foot Solution orthodics that are water proof for my water shoes as the water therapy for Plantar Fascitis was making my feet hurt more. Just keep trying til you find what works for YOU -- then adopt the idea that all fashion stops at the ankle. Keep them dogs from barkin'

PS Lidoderm patches (RX self sticking through the skin lidocaine) are great when you have a flare up and can't just sit all day. Put them under socks and they dull the pain some.

I have had it for years -- one of the reasons I retired from teaching. Retirement (and not standing for long hours on hard floors) really really helps;) I also found that Foot Solutions orthodics were much softer and kinder to my feet than the RX ones provided by the podiatrist. Just my opinion. I also got Foot Solution orthodics that are water proof for my water shoes as the water therapy for Plantar Fascitis was making my feet hurt more. Just keep trying til you find what works for YOU -- then adopt the idea that all fashion stops at the ankle. Keep them dogs from barkin'

PS Lidoderm patches (RX self sticking through the skin lidocaine) are great when you have a flare up and can't just sit all day. Put them under socks and they dull the pain some.

Thanks Bowie MeMe -

I also am a teacher - college professor. I have been bothered with this for the past 2 years. I've been to podiatrist, had a shot, motrin, pain killers. Nothing much has helped. Unfortunately, right now it is really bothering me, and we leave on our Med cruise in 4 weeks. Where do you get the Foot Solution orthotics? The last ones the podiatrist gave me are old ( and quite hard), and I can't get in to see him again before we leave. Thanks very much.

will be traveling to europe.....looking for a great pair of walking shoes and we have 10 ports to visit and will be doing alot of walking..any suggestions would be helpful

thanks,

carol

Hi Carol from Carole

I have a pair of slip sneakers (also good for TSA)from Talbots. They have a nautical design & look stylish. I put a Dr. Scholl's pad in them and have been wearing them walking around my neighborhood for the past sveral days( I always break in every shoe). So far they are comfortable.

Carole

Hi Carol from Carole

I have a pair of slip sneakers (also good for TSA)from Talbots. They have a nautical design & look stylish. I put a Dr. Scholl's pad in them and have been wearing them walking around my neighborhood for the past sveral days( I always break in every shoe). So far they are comfortable.

Carole

I wore a similar pair, alternating with white and black athletic shoes that worked beautifully for our 28 days in Europe back in January and February and the dozen ports we visited and WALKED (averaged 5-10 miles every port day!) For dinners on the ship I brought one stylish pair of black wedge sandals that I wore every night!

Thanks Bowie MeMe -

I also am a teacher - college professor. I have been bothered with this for the past 2 years. I've been to podiatrist, had a shot, motrin, pain killers. Nothing much has helped. Unfortunately, right now it is really bothering me, and we leave on our Med cruise in 4 weeks. Where do you get the Foot Solution orthotics? The last ones the podiatrist gave me are old ( and quite hard), and I can't get in to see him again before we leave. Thanks very much.

Yep, I'm a retired teacher too!!! My dr. said that at least 50% of his plantars f. patients were or still are teachers. And people think our job is soooo easy??

The shoe inserts I got from my podiatrist are really hard too and I hate them. Altho I was told that you have to break into them, I never could. Caused the problem to be worse.

The other orthotics mentioned by Bowie are available here too, just never got them. We have a store that specializes in them...name slips my mind. Think it's called The "Foot Store" or something simple like that. Also some Walgreens stores have machines that "read" your feet and rec the insert. But don't know how good those are.

Good luck.

Last Oct I took some Maryjane danskos that I had broken in before we left-I still had blisters and was miserable--:(once you get blisters it is not fun!! I even had thicker socks (wool-that breathe) Next time I don't care if they look American or are not cool but I am wearing my athletic shoes-not going through this again:)

Again--pick shoes that fit you--don't worry about what brand or how they look.

The key is to WALK before you go. Everyone talks about "breaking in" the shoes, remember you also have to "break in" you body. Its more than the shoes--it is getting used to walking for long periods of time over uneven surfaces. So start walking--outside--as much as you can, wearing the shoes, before you go. Find two pairs of shoes so you can switch and wear them to work, wear them to play and get out and walk. Don't forget to look in your closet--you may have a good old pair of comfy shoes sitting right there.

Yep, I'm a retired teacher too!!! My dr. said that at least 50% of his plantars f. patients were or still are teachers. And people think our job is soooo easy??

I can't speak for everyone but have great respect for teachers, so here's some info I hope will help you that I'm leaving in honor of all the teachers I love. :) We have some of those stores for feet here in my area (Foot Solutions, etc.), and I know doctors that just shake their heads about this. The plastic orthotics that are sold there for $200+ are available elsewhere for $20 - 30. And I'm advised by medical professionals that most people do not need the custom orthotics.

When I was in the New Balance store last week (Little Rock, Arkansas), they had those plastic orthotics that will fit in dress shoes, sneakers (tennis shoes), and some sandals for $20. They also had the ones that are bigger, thicker, and softer that are used in sneakers, and I don't really know how to describe those. Those were $30. These are exactly identical to the ones sold in those specialty stores for $200+.With those two types of (not custom) orthotics, you buy based on your shoes size. If you can't find them in your area, I'll post the phone number for my local store. However, those specialty foot stores do have some shoes and sandals with built-in arch support in the $200+ range (MBT, etc.) that are very nice for those who can or want to pay that much, and I'm sure they provide a lot of service.

I think I pay extra attention to these matters because I have a dear friend who is a podiatrist, and she gives a lot of great advice. One thing I've noticed while on the zappos.com Web site--in the customer reviews section, there's a note for each shoe style saying "79% said that the shoe provided excellent arch support" or "85% said that the shoe provided moderate arch support." See http://www.zappos.com/product/7211311/color/129437. I saw a segment on Good Morning America the other day about how bad UGG boots are for all feet (not just those who have fallen arches) because the boots have no support and are too soft on the bottom. The doc said that all of us need a shoe that has a sole that is not too flexible--that kind of goes against our gut instinct to get something sort--and has arch support. These shoes have a range of prices, but you might look at Merrill, Ecco, Mephisto, Finn Comfort, Clarks, Dansko, Naot, or see my tips above for getting inexpensive orthotics that may work with shoes you already have or a nice pair of black New Balance sneakers. Hope that helps.

Tips for all--there are great sites online such as shoebuy.com that have free shipping to you and free return shipping. So you can try out some shoes that are highly rated by other customers with no obligation (just wear them with socks inside your house for a few hours). And always do a Google search for "shoebuy.com coupon" or "onlineshoes.com coupon", etc. before you place your order to save some $$.

One thing I've noticed in walking around on vacation is that if your feet get hot, you're hot. So there are sandals you can buy that have removeable footbeds to accomodate orthotics. I think Finn Comfort (expensive) and Aravon (not cheap and made by New Balance) fall into this category. I have a pair of Mephisto sandals that have great arch support. But using a sandal as a walking shoe in Europe, you have to have a great fit to ensure that you don't turn your ankle on cobblestones. I'm really happy I found my Ecco sandals because while they don't look that great, I'm confident that they fit me like my sneakers (my foot doesn't slide around in the sandal) yet I won't be hot. I've read that Keen sandals are also great, but I've never tried them. I have a friend who swears by Merrills, but I can't wear them (my heels are narrow, so Merrills ride up and down on me), and that's why I don't try to say that one shoe or another will work for anyone else. I will also be alternating my shoes every other day (we walk many miles every day in port too), so I'll post any additional info I find.

Donna

The shoe inserts I got from my podiatrist are really hard too and I hate them. Altho I was told that you have to break into them, I never could. Caused the problem to be worse.

Like an earlier poster, I suffered occasional "flare-ups" with no relief. Thanks Bowie MeMe for the tip on the Lidocaine patch - a great idea. I'll seek them out.

Me too as far as high arch and happens most often after being shoeless for a while, etc. I bought inserts on line (forget where but Shopping channel had same brand) that are, like yours eadnj, hard.

Mine though have changeable inserts in the arch area, low, medium and high. So can start out low and not so hard to get used to. They take time to reshape your feet but *really* helped. Started with the low and it felt awkward like a huge lump in the shoe but in short order (days not hours) was hardly noticeable so moved up to medium. Pain gone.

Now back to shoeless at home at lot and occasional suffering. I'll either have to try the Lidocain patch or start preparing for another vacation!

-YoHoHo

I can't speak for everyone but have great respect for teachers, so here's some info I hope will help you that I'm leaving in honor of all the teachers I love. :) We have some of those stores for feet here in my area (Foot Solutions, etc.), and I know doctors that just shake their heads about this. The plastic orthotics that are sold there for $200+ are available elsewhere for $20 - 30. And I'm advised by medical professionals that most people do not need the custom orthotics.

When I was in the New Balance store last week (Little Rock, Arkansas), they had those plastic orthotics that will fit in dress shoes, sneakers (tennis shoes), and some sandals for $20. They also had the ones that are bigger, thicker, and softer that are used in sneakers, and I don't really know how to describe those. Those were $30. These are exactly identical to the ones sold in those specialty stores for $200+.With those two types of (not custom) orthotics, you buy based on your shoes size. If you can't find them in your area, I'll post the phone number for my local store. However, those specialty foot stores do have some shoes and sandals with built-in arch support in the $200+ range (MBT, etc.) that are very nice for those who can or want to pay that much, and I'm sure they provide a lot of service.

I think I pay extra attention to these matters because I have a dear friend who is a podiatrist, and she gives a lot of great advice. One thing I've noticed while on the zappos.com Web site--in the customer reviews section, there's a note for each shoe style saying "79% said that the shoe provided excellent arch support" or "85% said that the shoe provided moderate arch support." See http://www.zappos.com/product/7211311/color/129437. I saw a segment on Good Morning America the other day about how bad UGG boots are for all feet (not just those who have fallen arches) because the boots have no support and are too soft on the bottom. The doc said that all of us need a shoe that has a sole that is not too flexible--that kind of goes against our gut instinct to get something sort--and has arch support. These shoes have a range of prices, but you might look at Merrill, Ecco, Mephisto, Finn Comfort, Clarks, Dansko, Naot, or see my tips above for getting inexpensive orthotics that may work with shoes you already have or a nice pair of black New Balance sneakers. Hope that helps.

Tips for all--there are great sites online such as shoebuy.com that have free shipping to you and free return shipping. So you can try out some shoes that are highly rated by other customers with no obligation (just wear them with socks inside your house for a few hours). And always do a Google search for "shoebuy.com coupon" or "onlineshoes.com coupon", etc. before you place your order to save some $$.

One thing I've noticed in walking around on vacation is that if your feet get hot, you're hot. So there are sandals you can buy that have removeable footbeds to accomodate orthotics. I think Finn Comfort (expensive) and Aravon (not cheap and made by New Balance) fall into this category. I have a pair of Mephisto sandals that have great arch support. But using a sandal as a walking shoe in Europe, you have to have a great fit to ensure that you don't turn your ankle on cobblestones. I'm really happy I found my Ecco sandals because while they don't look that great, I'm confident that they fit me like my sneakers (my foot doesn't slide around in the sandal) yet I won't be hot. I've read that Keen sandals are also great, but I've never tried them. I have a friend who swears by Merrills, but I can't wear them (my heels are narrow, so Merrills ride up and down on me), and that's why I don't try to say that one shoe or another will work for anyone else. I will also be alternating my shoes every other day (we walk many miles every day in port too), so I'll post any additional info I find.

Donna

thanks for the great info. what style or name of ecco sandals do you have.? i tried on the yucatan and they felt great. hope they will work working around europe. looking forward to hearing from you.

carol

thanks for the great info. what style or name of ecco sandals do you have.? i tried on the yucatan and they felt great. hope they will work working around europe. looking forward to hearing from you.

carol

I bought those Yucatans (http://www.zappos.com/product/7211311/color/129437), and they are very comfortable on my feet. They do have good arch support too. I've tried them with and without lightweight socks (that I'll wear if we run into some cool weather).

:) Donna

As a runner, I just want to add that shoes are just half the issue.Many people will research and find a comfortable shoe, then match it with a cheap sock.

They make anatomical socks, which I find very comfortable, running or walking.

People that get blisters or find the need to let their shoes air out from one day to the next, will really find this link useful.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--13118-0,00.html

I bought those Yucatans (http://www.zappos.com/product/7211311/color/129437), and they are very comfortable on my feet. They do have good arch support too. I've tried them with and without lightweight socks (that I'll wear if we run into some cool weather).

:) Donna

Thanks Donna,

i tried on the yucatan sandals and found them the most comfortable of all the shoes i tried on...various styles and brands. some people have said that sandals are not that great for walking but i felt these would serve my feet well and would let my feet breathe in the really hot weather i will encounter. i didn't read your whole post...did you use these sandals for your excursions? hope i'm not being a pain. thanks loads

carol

Thanks Donna,

i tried on the yucatan sandals and found them the most comfortable of all the shoes i tried on...various styles and brands. some people have said that sandals are not that great for walking but i felt these would serve my feet well and would let my feet breathe in the really hot weather i will encounter. i didn't read your whole post...did you use these sandals for your excursions? hope i'm not being a pain. thanks loads

carol

No problem at all, and I'm glad to help if I can. :)

I wore my Ecco sandals one day when I walked 7 miles total (I wear a pedometer) stop and go and found them comfortable at the end of the day. They felt the same as they did when I first tried them on. I find them to have as much stability as sneakers because they can be adjusted to fit my foot. We have walked 12 miles in one day in Europe, so I'm hoping that my Eccos will be comfortable for as long as I need them because I haven't tested them past 7 miles. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Keens to check them out for an alternate pair, so I'll let you know how those work out if I do.

I agree with the note that socks may make a difference. I've tried some high $$ socks (SmartWool, Mephisto, and Thorlo) and have not found any that work better for me than the Danskins I buy at Wal-Mart. So maybe I just haven't found the right sock yet.

Donna

No problem at all, and I'm glad to help if I can. :)

I wore my Ecco sandals one day when I walked 7 miles total (I wear a pedometer) stop and go and found them comfortable at the end of the day. They felt the same as they did when I first tried them on. I find them to have as much stability as sneakers because they can be adjusted to fit my foot. We have walked 12 miles in one day in Europe, so I'm hoping that my Eccos will be comfortable for as long as I need them because I haven't tested them past 7 miles. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Keens to check them out for an alternate pair, so I'll let you know how those work out if I do.

I agree with the note that socks may make a difference. I've tried some high $$ socks (SmartWool, Mephisto, and Thorlo) and have not found any that work better for me than the Danskins I buy at Wal-Mart. So maybe I just haven't found the right sock yet.

Donna

I would suggest some anatomical socks, I can almost guarantee you will feel a marked difference. I log 65-75 miles a week and wouldnt leave home without them :D

Archived