When do the Salmon Run?

DoggyDaddy

We are taking a HAL (Veendam) from Seward to Vancouver starting July 5, 2009. We are stopping at the typical spots. The question is - when do the salmon start running, as there are several spots where you can see them running, fish ladders etc. Also, I assume that the salmon bakes would use fresh salmon if available.

Where are the most scenic places to see the salmon, if running?

DD

We took Zaandam on a NB cruise leaving Vancouver July 6 last year. We never saw salmon until we were in downtown Anchorage! Ketchikan is supposed to be an ideal spot and we were disappointed there were none (so were the locals). But I heard 3 weeks later the creek was full of salmon!

There are several fishing websites that show when each type of salmon are usually running.

Cruise ports- you are too early. Do you have time and your own transportation, interior Alaska?? Do a search and find out about Russian/Kenai Rivers?? Would be a stop, via rental car on the way to Seward. Downtown Anchorage- Ship Creek.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but I'm doing some research for my upcoming trip. From what I've read (in Milepost mainly), different varieties of salmon migrate at different times. The king/chinook (the largest) start in May and June, but they will be in the largest rivers - particularly the Kenai River. Other varieties migrate later in the summer, mainly in July and August. So the answer to your question will vary by river or stream and which varieties of salmon are migrating there.

Archived