Transportation - Whittier to Seward, Seward to Anchorage

mb6668

My Dad and I are taking our first Alaskan cruise in August to celebrate his 88th birthday. It's Northbound, so we end up in Whittier on a Wednesday. Based on recommendations on this board, we want to go to Seward for the Kenai Fjords boat trip. We would like to take the 9 hour tour, so based on when we get into Whittier we would have to do that on Thursday. The plan was to take the railroad to Anchorage the next night to catch our flight out at 9PM. Checking the train schedule I found that doesn't work as the train arrives after our flight leaves. Any recommendations for transportation between Whittier - Seward - Anchorage besides renting a car (quoted at $318)? If we take the 6 hour 1130 AM boat tour would we be able to do that on Wednesday if we leave early from Whittier? How much would we miss out on with the shorter tour? Then we could take the train into Anchorage on Thursday, stay overnight there and catch our plane on Friday. We would then need transport from Whittier to Seward.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi, And thank you for posting your dad's age, it helped with the suggestion.

I would take the ships transportation to Anchorage on Wednesday, then - on Wednesday - from Anchorage hook up with the Seward busline. Here is there webpage: http://www.sewardbuslines.net/

This will get you from Anchorage to Seward Wednesday leavng Anchorage at 2:30pm and arriving in Seward at 5:30pm where you can get a good meal and place to stay. I would suggest staying in one of the places located in the small boat harbor where, a block (or so) walk to the pier where your tour leaves, a close walk to a couple restaurants. Book this hotel for two nights.

To get back to Anchorage return on Friday with the Seward busline - (from purchasing a RT ticket on Wednesday,) That bus departs Seward at 9:30am and you can be dropped off at the airport arriving on Friday a noon.

Here's my take:

Going back to Anchorage then a bus to Seward seems to me to be a lot of back tracking. My suggestion is to make it to Seward on Wednesday by getting a nice early start; do the 6 hour tour; then take 6PM train back to Anchorage. The 9 hour tour must be excellent, but we did the 6 hour tour; and it was fantastic! Whatever company you choose (we did ours with Renown) work the schedule so you will have no problem taking the 6PM train back to Anchorage.

Last August we had a last minute change that meant we would have to rent a car in Anchorage with a drop off in Seward. In our case it was a lot more expensive, so we checked into a taxi. We ended up going with PJS Taxi and it was a great choice! Whittier is closer than Ancorage, and others on the boards have said a taxi is a viable choice.

I can't say what you would miss on the 9 hour tour, but as I said, we had a fantastic time on the 6 hour tour and saw so much wildlife and spectacular scenery! Also the train back to Anchorage is an experience in itself with views of glaciers and absolute beautiful scenery!

Enjoy your trip!

My Dad and I are taking our first Alaskan cruise in August to celebrate his 88th birthday. It's Northbound, so we end up in Whittier on a Wednesday. Based on recommendations on this board, we want to go to Seward for the Kenai Fjords boat trip. We would like to take the 9 hour tour, so based on when we get into Whittier we would have to do that on Thursday. The plan was to take the railroad to Anchorage the next night to catch our flight out at 9PM. Checking the train schedule I found that doesn't work as the train arrives after our flight leaves. Any recommendations for transportation between Whittier - Seward - Anchorage besides renting a car (quoted at $318)? If we take the 6 hour 1130 AM boat tour would we be able to do that on Wednesday if we leave early from Whittier? How much would we miss out on with the shorter tour? Then we could take the train into Anchorage on Thursday, stay overnight there and catch our plane on Friday. We would then need transport from Whittier to Seward.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sorry, but this is way too much to be doing with an 88 year old. You are underestimating the time and the effort it takes to get around without a car, not to mention the fact that you would have to schlepp luggage everywhere for both of you. I would suggest you stay in Whittier and go on one of the glacier cruises there. They are as good as the Kenai Fjords tours and you don't have to drag your father all over southcentral Alaska to do it. There is also a good possibility that you will make a herculean effort to get to Seward and the weather will be too bad for you to get out of the bay. If you do the Whittier tour you can take the evening train to Anchorage and get a hotel. If you rent a car in Anchorage, you can take your father up to Hatcher Pass or sightsee around the Anchorage area.

Sorry, but this is way too much to be doing with an 88 year old. You are underestimating the time and the effort it takes to get around without a car, not to mention the fact that you would have to schlepp luggage everywhere for both of you. I would suggest you stay in Whittier and go on one of the glacier cruises there. They are as good as the Kenai Fjords tours and you don't have to drag your father all over southcentral Alaska to do it. There is also a good possibility that you will make a herculean effort to get to Seward and the weather will be too bad for you to get out of the bay. If you do the Whittier tour you can take the evening train to Anchorage and get a hotel. If you rent a car in Anchorage, you can take your father up to Hatcher Pass or sightsee around the Anchorage area.

My dad is in really great shape. You would never know he is 88 (or will be when we leave). Last year we did a 12 day Med cruise with 3 days in Rome first and we didn't have any problems. I realize Alaska is different with terrain, weather etc. I am very much into seeing wildlife and the Kenai Fjords trips sounded wonderful. But, I also don't want to take on more than we should having never been there before. Would your answer be different if we rented a car? Going to Seward on Wednesday, taking the Kenai boat tour on Thursday and heading to Anchorage on Friday.

Frankly, I would rent a car- although costly, it is the MOST direct and best use of your short time. It isn't that significant of a cost, if you base this on the entire vacation cost.

Make a reservation with Avis. Get an early start and be ready to pick up your car when they open at 8am. Get in the tunnel line for the 9am opening. Then go with the regular 11:30pm tour. http://www.seward.com has a detailed map. Overnight in Seward then drive to Anchorage, take your time, and see some sights along the way.

It is too much, in my opinion Sepyle's is not a good option with the above recommendation, getting to Seward, take the boat tour, then the train to Anchorage. Far better to consider your overnight in Seward, no matter what the ages. And I definately do not recommend the poor backtracking plan of Melody.

This offers you ease of transporting your luggage, a "seat" and time if needed for your dad. No "waits" for buses/trains, loading/unloading, etc etc etc.

You have no option for the Northwestern Fjords tour on this trip. It is superior for more scenery and wildlife. I have taken this several times along with the regular Kenai Fjords tour. AS long as you are on the water at least 6 hours- you will have a great opportunity for some excellent sightseeing.

Frankly, I would rent a car- although costly, it is the MOST direct and best use of your short time. It isn't that significant of a cost, if you base this on the entire vacation cost.

Make a reservation with Avis. Get an early start and be ready to pick up your car when they open at 8am. Get in the tunnel line for the 9am opening. Then go with the regular 11:30pm tour. www.seward.com has a detailed map. Overnight in Seward then drive to Anchorage, take your time, and see some sights along the way.

It is too much, in my opinion Sepyle's is not a good option with the above recommendation, getting to Seward, take the boat tour, then the train to Anchorage. Far better to consider your overnight in Seward, no matter what the ages. And I definately do not recommend the poor backtracking plan of Melody.

This offers you ease of transporting your luggage, a "seat" and time if needed for your dad. No "waits" for buses/trains, loading/unloading, etc etc etc.

You have no option for the Northwestern Fjords tour on this trip. It is superior for more scenery and wildlife. I have taken this several times along with the regular Kenai Fjords tour. AS long as you are on the water at least 6 hours- you will have a great opportunity for some excellent sightseeing.

Thanks Budget Queen. We get in on Wednesday and our flight out is Friday night at 9PM, so won't we be able to do the Northwestern Fjords on Thursday? I thought we would rent the car Wednesday, drive to Seward and overnight. On Thursday take the Northwestern Fjords tour and overnight again in Seward. Friday drive to Anchorage taking our time, sight-seeing etc. and fly home at 9PM?

I've enjoyed reading your posts. You helped us decide what we wanted to do once we reached Whittier and the end of our cruise!

Thanks Budget Queen. We get in on Wednesday and our flight out is Friday night at 9PM, so won't we be able to do the Northwestern Fjords on Thursday? I thought we would rent the car Wednesday, drive to Seward and overnight. On Thursday take the Northwestern Fjords tour and overnight again in Seward. Friday drive to Anchorage taking our time, sight-seeing etc. and fly home at 9PM?

I've enjoyed reading your posts. You helped us decide what we wanted to do once we reached Whittier and the end of our cruise!

Yes, very doable, thought you were coming into Whittier Thursday??? My mistake on the reading.

Yes, very doable, thought you were coming into Whittier Thursday??? My mistake on the reading.

Great! Thanks again and thanks to all for their input. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and experience and willingness to help!

Archived