political dramas & travel warnings for fiji

the olnly reason i would like to go to suva is that we were thinking about doing a private tour to the arts village, my son would get a big kick out of the place.

i dont suppose anyone knows what generally happens when you book a tour privately and the boat skips the port for reasons like political unrest?

On our recent cruise on Pacific Dawn a group of CC'ers had booked a visit to the Arts Village, but we didn't get into Suva because of rough seas. Rob (who had booked the tour) phoned the Arts Village from the ship to advise them. They already knew the ship would not be in port because the tour booked by P & O was cancelled. The Arts Village advised Rob that there would be no charge for the cancellation.

Most places we have booked with do not require any payment or even a deposit in advance.

If I was booking a tour at the Arts Village in the current political climate, I would ask them what would happen if the ship did not call into Suva. I believe they will tell you that there would be no financial penalty (as happened a few weeks ago with our cruise).:):)

Evon.

Most places we have booked with do not require any payment or even a deposit in advance.If I was booking a tour at the Arts Village in the current political climate, I would ask them what would happen if the ship did not call into Suva. I believe they will tell you that there would be no financial penalty (as happened a few weeks ago with our cruiseEvon.

Good point Evon. I am always a bit wary of private tours that want payment in advance.

i'm not quite ready to book the tour yet, but when i do i will get confirmation about the payment policy when the ship doesn't make it to port.

i'm also a bit suss about these things so i will be printing out copies of any correspondance i've had with both p&o and tour operators and taking it with me so that i have writen proof of what was agreed on.

Archived