political dramas & travel warnings for fiji

hey

i've just seen some news stories about political problems in fiji & the government issuing travel warnings for fiji.

does anyone know what P&O do in this situation when they know there are travel warnings in place before departure?

i'm not travelling for another 4 months still, but 3 of our ports of call are in fiji. the last thing i want to find out a week before we leave is that our 2 week cruise has been cut down by a week... but then again that would give me an excuse to book another one :D

They won't cut the length of your cruise because of political problems in one area. At the worst, you might miss Suva and maybe have another port substituted. That would probably be better.:)

Our daughter leaves in a few weeks time on a cruise with four ports of call in Fiji so we are watching events. I think P & O will only leave Suva off the itinerary if there is the possibility of unrest or danger to the ship and its passengers. I don't think the other ports in Fiji would be affected, but time will tell.

Evon.

hey

i've just seen some news stories about political problems in fiji & the government issuing travel warnings for fiji.

does anyone know what P&O do in this situation when they know there are travel warnings in place before departure?

i'm not travelling for another 4 months still, but 3 of our ports of call are in fiji. the last thing i want to find out a week before we leave is that our 2 week cruise has been cut down by a week... but then again that would give me an excuse to book another one :D

I doubt that tourists would be given a hard time in a place like Dravuni, but in Suva, where the Army has been given the authority to shoot anyone with no questions asked, who would want to get off the ship?

I am on the 21 dayer out of Auckland in June on "The Sun" so I am watching developments with great interest......

Hamish

:o...Liz I heard their was someone running round in a g-string and that's why they couldn't go!!!

Well then maybe it had something to do with the fashion police? Maybe there isnt political problems at all.......

I doubt that tourists would be given a hard time in a place like Dravuni, but in Suva, where the Army has been given the authority to shoot anyone with no questions asked, who would want to get off the ship?

I am on the 21 dayer out of Auckland in June on "The Sun" so I am watching developments with great interest......

Hamish

Can you please post a link to this as our cruise will be going there in june and I would like to read up on the current situation over there ...

thanks

Icy

It certainly bears watching and I am sure the cruise lines will be keeping

an Eagle eye on events over there.

It has happened a few times before but this one seems to be escalating.:eek:

Rest assured ,

if there is any chance of danger or harm to passengers,

they will simply go somewhere else,

and the local business's will be the ones who suffer.

Hey Miss Icy....I have a friend living in Suva...things are not as 'dire' as people are making out...I can post the links to what she is sending to you on FB if you like....as for not going there, well the company is keeping a close eye on developments.

SS

Hey Miss Icy....I have a friend living in Suva...things are not as 'dire' as people are making out...I can post the links to what she is sending to you on FB if you like....as for not going there, well the company is keeping a close eye on developments.

SS

thanks SS ... it was the shot on sight thingy i was wondering about ...

Can you please post a link to this as our cruise will be going there in june and I would like to read up on the current situation over there ...

thanks

Icy

Sorry I can't find a link right now - the reports that I'm quoting were from Radio & TV - they definitely are correct tho.

I wouldn't get too worried, if its still looking bad I'd imagine P & O will go around Suva but even if they do stop there you'll still be VERY safe aboard the ship. Not even the "Nutty" colonel would dare harass a cruise liner - you'll probably have a much nicer day on board anyway!

The cruise you're going on should be fantastic - we'll be on the "Sun's" 21 day out of Auckland also in June on a fairly similar path.

Have a great holiday !

Cheers

Hamish & Sharyn

Hi there,

...also wondering here - how the trouble in Thailand will affect the ships going there..ie: Diamond in November and February...we are booking the Feb trip again, but are wondering if they may miss (or substitute??) BKK (Bangkok)...due to the current and recent troubles there, over the past few months.

We watched carefully last November , - as passengers were unable to get flights home from BKK, due the airport sit in and political unrest.

Maybe they will miss BKK and use Singapore instead?..

It is such a shame too, as the Thai people are so very lovely, and welcome you to their beautiful country, they desperately need the tourism, and it is sad to see the tourism go down each time there is some political troubles there.

S&D

If you miss Suva, you have not missed anything, ! was there 18 months ago on Regal Princess, LA to Sydney.

Suva is a dirty, depressing town. You have to get out of Suva to see the real Fiji. I do not think the current political issues will affect tourism.

If you miss Suva, you have not missed anything, ! was there 18 months ago on Regal Princess, LA to Sydney.Suva is a dirty, depressing town. You have to get out of Suva to see the real Fiji. I do not think the current political issues will affect tourism./QUOTE]

Heartily agree with you.

Dont know why they stop in Suva. Much better ports are available.

I see the Colonel has now taken over the Reserve Bank and devalued the currency by 20% in an effort to make it even cheaper and attract more tourists.

A similar thing happened to Bali at one stage,and it got so cheap that business ,( Hotels etc), could only survive by charging in $US dollars.

Hi there,

...also wondering here - how the trouble in Thailand will affect the ships going there..ie: Diamond in November and February...we are booking the Feb trip again, but are wondering if they may miss (or substitute??) BKK (Bangkok)...due to the current and recent troubles there, over the past few months.

We watched carefully last November , - as passengers were unable to get flights home from BKK, due the airport sit in and political unrest.

Maybe they will miss BKK and use Singapore instead?..

It is such a shame too, as the Thai people are so very lovely, and welcome you to their beautiful country, they desperately need the tourism, and it is sad to see the tourism go down each time there is some political troubles there.

S&D

As you have probably heard, Thailand situation is all over for now.

Trouble with Thailand, you're never quite sure when the political situation might flare up again.

If you miss Suva, you have not missed anything, ! was there 18 months ago on Regal Princess, LA to Sydney.Suva is a dirty, depressing town. You have to get out of Suva to see the real Fiji. I do not think the current political issues will affect tourism./QUOTE]

Heartily agree with you.

Dont know why they stop in Suva. Much better ports are available.

I see the Colonel has now taken over the Reserve Bank and devalued the currency by 20% in an effort to make it even cheaper and attract more tourists.

A similar thing happened to Bali at one stage,and it got so cheap that business ,( Hotels etc), could only survive by charging in $US dollars.

If I was planning a visit to Fij, in the current situation, I'd only head away from the mainland, straight out to one of the islands.

We changed planes in Fiji once, during a similiar situation, armed forces at the airport, etc. - we were pleased to be out of there, as the atmosphere was so tense.

Laotoka, as a port of call, was even worse than Suva.

It is so sad, because the ordinary Fijian people are lovely.

The 'new' Fiji Boss' is actually a Commodore, also in charge of the Fijiaan Navy. So being a Naval person by reputation he might like the cruise ships calling in still. He can devalue his currency all he likes, no way I would go to Suva again. I was there in 1970 and again in 2007, still a dump. I would visit other parts of Fiji though, they are nice people the Fijiaans, well most of them anyway.

Ok, if you had to choose a port to go to would it be Suva or Noumea? Kay

I don't mind Noumea. There is quite a lot to see and the French ambience to soak up. The only thing we like about Suva is the Arts Village at Pacific Harbour. It is well worth a privately-organised visit there for their Face to Face tour.:)

Evon.

i dont like noumea, but i have never tried getting out of the city, which i will do this time round...

the olnly reason i would like to go to suva is that we were thinking about doing a private tour to the arts village, my son would get a big kick out of the place.

i dont suppose anyone knows what generally happens when you book a tour privately and the boat skips the port for reasons like political unrest?

Archived