Why alaska?

Mrs Charmin

Scenery is awesome, wilderness that goes on for miles. Even looking out the window on our way into Anchorage made me glad I wasn't lost in that white wilderness below.

The wildlife (whales, moose, wolf, sea otters, sea lions, bears, eagles & puffins). Not everyone ever gets to see this varied wildlife.

Glaciers calving, icebergs in the water. Yikes! I prayed we made it through Tracy Arm safely.

The history of not only the U.S., but Russia. In Sitka you see where the first U.S. flag was raised over Alaska when we purchased her from Russia. There is a beautiful Russian Orthodox Cathedral in the center of town. The Raptor Center (birds of prey, like owls & eagles) was really interesting. And walking back downhill through the National Park Rainforest we saw a Russian Memorial to folks killed in a Native uprising.

Totem poles and the natives that carve them.

Out of Skagway there is the Whitepass Yukon RR that follows the trail the gold rushers took to get to the Yukon in their search for gold. Whitehorse and Dawson City were very important towns during the Gold Rush days with lots of local history. Jack London's "Call of the Wild" and a Canadian writer Robert Service also had a cabin in Dawson City.

We visited small out of the way towns (Sitka, Seward, Eagle, Chicken, Tok) as well as the larger towns (Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan). You get such a different feel for Alaska in each of the different towns. And of course there is Denali (or Mt. McKinley). "The Great One" being the highest mountain peak in North America. The remoteness and stillness of the breeze blowing through the trees (almost like you are the only person hearing it) until you get to Glitter Gulch and see that you are only one of thousands.

And yes, it was cool in August '07 for our last trip. I wore my cuddleduds under sweats everyday of our 11 day trip, and had a ski parka for outside the coach. It rained a couple of times, but we didn't let that dampen our spirits.

Only you can ultimately decide if the trip is worth it to you. If you are having doubts, then you probably should go with what you know you like.

I like traveling to cooler places in the summer and to warmer places in the winter. If I lived in Florida, I'd be thrilled to get out of that oppressive summer heat and humidity by going to Alaska! :)

Alaska cruise #3 is coming up next month. I live in central Illinois - where it's FLAT, and we're surrounded by corn and soybean fields! The mountains, glaciers, and wildlife in Alaska are pretty impressive.

I am a little surprised that although there have been some 'sensible' replys, that much of this thread is domiated by the weather, it seems it is high in the list of decison making factors.

If the weather is going to dominate it would be worth remembering the following.

CLIMATE is what you expect,

WEATHER is what you get.

I go for the peace and serenity for my psyche that the awesomeness of the beauty and majesty of Alaska gives me.

I have been 3 times all in May and Mid to end of June. In Juneau it was 80 and my daughter wore shorts and a tank top. But, it is chilly (cold from the wind) when the ship is approaching a glacier. But, when the ship stops and if the wind isn't blowing it isn't that cold at all.

We don't bring down coats. Layer, layer, layer. A fleece with a rainproof parka with a hood over it. Then you can layer and take off according to what is the need at the moment. We have never had the need for longjohns.

We don't bring down coats. Layer, layer, layer. A fleece with a rainproof parka with a hood over it. Then you can layer and take off according to what is the need at the moment. We have never had the need for longjohns.

I wore all of my layers, including longjohns and wind pants, when we were approaching Glacier Bay in early June 2007. I was standing on the bow of the ship, and it was very cold with the wind. Then when the ship stopped and turned into the sun, I peeled off the layers. If you intend to spend much time out on deck (particularly at the front of the ship) while the ship is moving, you will be glad you brought the longjohns, which take up very little room in the suitcase.

I wore all of my layers, including longjohns and wind pants, when we were approaching Glacier Bay in early June 2007. I was standing on the bow of the ship, and it was very cold with the wind. Then when the ship stopped and turned into the sun, I peeled off the layers. If you intend to spend much time out on deck (particularly at the front of the ship) while the ship is moving, you will be glad you brought the longjohns, which take up very little room in the suitcase.

Personally, I would skip the long johns because I hate to be too hot, and they are not an easily-removed layer. I found Alaska in the summer to be much like Seattle (where I live) in the spring. I never wear long johns here unless it's below freezing and I'm going out to play in the snow with the kids or something like that... which is rare. I even hate wearing a heavy coat in the winter if I'm just running errands because I get hot and have to take it off as soon as I walk inside. I like to plan my layers so that I'm not too cold outside, but not too hot inside.

• Administrators

Without trying to be flip, I would say you either "feel it" (the pull of visiting Alaska) or you don't. If you clearly do not, then a lower-priced and less time-consuming vacation to the Caribbean may be perfect. Even the cheapest Alaskan cruise has hidden costs in flights and frequently hotels. Same day flying and cruising is possible to the Caribbean.

There's no substitute for doing your own legwork to educate yourself about what's important to you, and what isn't.

Hello

Being from Montreal I too thought NAH never Alaska ..However we are going my son sister and I this year in July .Why you ask .First many cruise companies will no longer leave out of Vancouver as of next Year.I got good air NONSTOP with Air CAnada .Next year US companies will charge per bag ...not AC which is good cause I do not travel light

We will take this opportunity to visit Vancouver first ...first time for this Eastern Canuck so looking forward to spending CDN $$$$ at par ..LOL ;) :) :)

Last winter MARCH with Carnival Victory out of Roseau Dominica we went whale watching .It was UNBELIEVABLE .Researchers from Dalhousie University out of Halifax ....yes in Nova Scotia lent our captain sonar detectors so we saw whales very close .It was really special.

So now I want to see the glaciers close up and whales and everything else ...bears from a distance only please .I hear by 2012 many glaciers will be GONE

Apparently even Mandenhall has receded quite a bit

This year also prices for Alaska really went down .Mine was reasonable

We are also going on a bus tour to the Yukon as a CDN I feel that is special .Let 's face it how often will I go to the YUKON ...hopefully I will be able to say I've been

I actually bought a new jacket Windproof /waterproof very warm for this trip ..I figure warm sweaters and pants I have I will pack for cool weather and some short sleeve stuff just in case

I will write a review when I get back

Now you know my reasons for going .By the way I LOVE LOVE LOVE the southern Caribbean but this is a different type of trip ...cultural.scenic wildlife

The Caribbean for me is all about WATER and snorkeling

There is a snorkeling trip offered in Alaska in a wet suit .I am TEMPTED but if my hair gets wet then what ????Apparently sea life is very colourful .I just might bring my mask just in case !!!!I have a prescription one

Hope this clarifies my reasons

Michele

Mrs Charmin

We were in AK 2 years ago and liked it so much we are going back this year. All posts have it right--go for scenery, wildlife, chance to see a declining ecosystem, serenity, and psyche. I also agree not to let weather be the major decision point. When we went 2 years ago weather was great--70 degrees, clear, no rain. We were told we were lucky and maybe we were. My simple solution to bad weather--go sit inside, at any window (bars, public areas, or Crow's Nest) and have a great time!! Tip--Crows Nest is very popular, so get there early!

Mary Lynn

We don't usually cruise to the same place over and over. Like to see new places and people. So - we went to Alaska 5 years ago. The scenery and wildlife just blew me away. Pictures don't do it justice. You don't get the whole "majestic" tone of it.

The next years we went to Hawaii, Baltic, Med, & South America. Guess where we are going back to this year?!! ALASKA Nothing can compare to this amazing place. There are also so many different types of excursions to do - as active as you like. We will even do the longer 14-day cruise just so we can see some new places. I can't wait!!:D

Thanks everyone for all your comments and helpful information. Yes, Michelle, I only want to see bears from a distance. Saw one up close years ago while camping (very close) and that was enough for me. I do want to see lots of sea life however.

I'm sold. After reading so many wonderful comments and checking out photos on Google Earth, I can hardly wait for next year. It looks spectacular! We just have to decide what itinerary, what ship, etc. I'll post another post of what we're considering.

Thanks again.

Archived