Westerdam balcony cabin

jerseygirl3

I just talked a friend, who is a loyal RCI patron, to give HAL a try. They're doing Westerdam southern Caribbean itinerary (HMC, Aruba, Curacao). They've booked Cabin 5053. It appears to have the forward view blocked by the cabin right in front of them. That's not a big issue (I figure it'll also block the wind, so it may not be a bad thing). But will the balcony be the same size as other balcony cabins on that deck. I know Deck 4 has the larger balconies, but the only VF categories available had the steel encased railing and I didn't think they'd like that. Any negatives about 5053?

But will the balcony be the same size as other balcony cabins on that deck.
Yes, all of the VE and VF balconies on deck 5 are 4.5 ft by 9 ft, except for the four angled ones. Other than the slightly obstructed forward view, I don't think there are any other negatives to 5053.

Yes, all of the VE and VF balconies on deck 5 are 4.5 ft by 9 ft, except for the four angled ones. Other than the slightly obstructed forward view, I don't think there are any other negatives to 5053.

Thank you! I want them to love this cruise. We've done this ship and itinerary twice and loved it, but both times we were in a VD on Deck 4.

We were just in 5053 on the Eurodam last week - I believe the setup is similar to the Westerdam. We were extremely grateful to have the plexiglass versus the solid metal. The balcony was small but still big enough for 2 chairs, a foot stool and small table. It also kind of elbowed out at a 135 degree angle so you could actually look back at the cabins towards the aft and this small part of the balcony would get more sun. The balcony did look down at a bigger balcony on deck 4 and the life boat was in front of the balcony next door. I actually thought we got a better view of the water than the neighboring balconies directly over the life boats.

We were just in 5053 on the Eurodam last week - I believe the setup is similar to the Westerdam. We were extremely grateful to have the plexiglass versus the solid metal. The balcony was small but still big enough for 2 chairs, a foot stool and small table. It also kind of elbowed out at a 135 degree angle so you could actually look back at the cabins towards the aft and this small part of the balcony would get more sun. The balcony did look down at a bigger balcony on deck 4 and the life boat was in front of the balcony next door. I actually thought we got a better view of the water than the neighboring balconies directly over the life boats.

When you say the balcony "angled out" do you mean it was smaller than the other balconies on Deck 5? In other words, does one end of the balcony get smaller? Or does the angled part make it slightly larger?

We were in 5055 on the Westerdam in December. The balcony is nice, not as deep as the fourth floor but it was covered by the fourth floor balcony which I liked, especially when we were getting some liquid sunshine. Perfect for two a bit crowded for three but we made it work. The view down is over top of the life boats instead of a straight shot to the water. The front view was slightly obstructed but not by much. You will enjoy the balcony and most of the time we were looking out instead of fore or aft.

I just talked a friend, who is a loyal RCI patron, to give HAL a try. They're doing Westerdam southern Caribbean itinerary (HMC, Aruba, Curacao). They've booked Cabin 5053. It appears to have the forward view blocked by the cabin right in front of them. That's not a big issue (I figure it'll also block the wind, so it may not be a bad thing). But will the balcony be the same size as other balcony cabins on that deck. I know Deck 4 has the larger balconies, but the only VF categories available had the steel encased railing and I didn't think they'd like that. Any negatives about 5053?

We were in 5051 last month and so your cabin was right next door. Cabin 5051's balcony is just a tad larger than 5049 etc cause it has that little angle. Nice spot to be in as you will be protected from the wind..

We are planning a cruise next February break on this cruise - first time on HAL after Carnival, Disnet, RCCL, Celebrity. Tentatively we were going to book a VF, 5055 - 5065. After reading posts, we are considering VD on deck 4. How much bigger are the rooms and balconies on deck 4? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to VF deck 5 vs VD deck 4?

We are planning a cruise next February break on this cruise - first time on HAL after Carnival, Disnet, RCCL, Celebrity. Tentatively we were going to book a VF, 5055 - 5065. After reading posts, we are considering VD on deck 4. How much bigger are the rooms and balconies on deck 4? Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to VF deck 5 vs VD deck 4?

Hi Katjef...We are on the same cruise as you, stop by the thread we started for that sailing.

We also have done RCCL and Disney many times and we also tried Costa.

I'm confused...Don't deck 5 cabins look down onto the top of the lifeboats? If so, are there any obstructions on deck 4 regarding the lifeboats.

I can't wait to get my brochure from HAL because it is very hard to understand this ship from the computer. When I look in the Cruise Travel magazine at the Eurodam, I'm really confused LOL

Yes, all of the G/GG/H/HH cabins are partially or fully obstructed by the lifeboats and their davits in front of the windows.

I am still confused too, about the VD balcony rooms on deck 4 - are any obscured by lifeboats? And how big are the VD room/balconies on deck 4 as compared to the VF room/balconies on deck 5?

I am still confused too, about the VD balcony rooms on deck 4 - are any obscured by lifeboats? And how big are the VD room/balconies on deck 4 as compared to the VF room/balconies on deck 5?

No, the VDs on Deck 4 don't have any lifeboat obstructions; the lifeboats are between the fore and aft VDs.

The cabin size isn't bigger but the balconies are bigger - they are deeper and there are a few feet that is not covered above.

My vote is for VD all the way!:eek: Had it on the Westerdam a few weeks ago and I've got it for our Eurodam cruise in March 2010 sailing.:D

The extra room on the balcony was great and the lounger does not have to be angled to lay in it.

My vote is for VD all the way!:eek: Had it on the Westerdam a few weeks ago and I've got it for our Eurodam cruise in March 2010 sailing.:D

The extra room on the balcony was great and the lounger does not have to be angled to lay in it.

This post states there are loungers on the cat. VD verandahs

This post states there are loungers on the cat. VD verandahs
Using the ottoman with one of the chairs gives you a sort-of lounger. If coho ken had a VD with a true lounger he had one with non-standard furniture, perhaps brought there by a steward.

I have to check the price... I have a VF with our friends next-door to us... Not a guarantee. I have to go on the HAL site to see what the difference is... I'm not sure it's worth it for a little more space.

Archived