Earthquake today on Big Island

kapoho2

The folks visiting Hilo today on the POA most likely felt the 5.0 magnitude earthquake that hit at about 12:43 pm HST. The quake was centered in VNP and most folks felt a jolt followed by rockin' and rollin". I was in Hilo sitting in my car and the car swayed back and forth for about 20 seconds. There were no reports of injuries or damage, but some pcitures fell from walls in the little towns around VNP. There were also reports of several small rockslides on Chain of Craters Road that were quickly cleared. No tsunami was generated.

I am sure we will hear more about this when this week's cruisers return home!

Recent Earthquakes in Hawai`i - Index Map

Darn, I missed it by a week! I would have been there at that same time! The staff at the VNP knew something was developing as the hole where the steam comes out of had gotten significantly larger over the previous 3 days.

There was one on the Big Island while we were in Kauai, back in March. Didn't feel that, but heard about it on the news. Earthquakes are quite frequent in the VNP area, but not felt too often.

We were in VNP last week when the earthquake hit. We were at the end of the Chain of Craters road near the ocean when we felt it. We were told that the epicenter was very close to where we were and we definitely felt it. It only lasted a few seconds but we knew what it was right away even though we live on the east coast and are not used to them. Made the long drive to the bottom very worthwhile! We did notice some small rock slides on the ride back up that were not there previously on the way down. It will definitely be a distinct memory from our trip!

We were at VNP at around 11:00 AM with a tour group but in our travel around there we did not feel anything but heard reports from others from the ship. They say people aren't sure which way to head when they feel the tremors (toward inland or outland), which is scary. Glad to be back in our safe area in Milwaukee. But sure loved the trip!!!

Archived