Suggested tips for Ekol driver and guide?

Taking a Kusadasi half day tour, wondering how much, and in what currency, to tip.

Also...should we add Terrace Houses? I find it hard to climb a lot of stairs.

We're also taking a tour through Ekol, in June. I inquired about what they suggested the tip be and the response I received was: Tip to driver and guide are each separate. 5-10 USD for the driver and 10-15 USD for the guide.

They did not indicate if this should be in lira or dollars.

Joe

We did a tour of Ephesus last October with Ekol. The Terrace houses are well worth the effort. There are stairs but my 83 year old father who has trouble with his knees did it. IMO You don't want to go to Ephesus and not see the houses.

A word to the wise- we enjoyed our tour with Ekol but felt that we were rushed by the guide because he wanted to take us to the rug factory, tile factory and the fur factory for some "local culture". We only went to the rug factory and then told him we did not wish to go to the others. We were diappointed that we could have spent more time at Ephesus instead of being hearded around for his monetary benefit. I did write to the company after we returned to voice my concern about this practice but never received a reply. My advice is if you don't care to see these places make it very clear up front.

We're also taking a tour through Ekol, in June. I inquired about what they suggested the tip be and the response I received was: Tip to driver and guide are each separate. 5-10 USD for the driver and 10-15 USD for the guide.

Joe

USD = United States Dollars :D

We did a tour of Ephesus last October with Ekol. The Terrace houses are well worth the effort. There are stairs but my 83 year old father who has trouble with his knees did it. IMO You don't want to go to Ephesus and not see the houses.

A word to the wise- we enjoyed our tour with Ekol but felt that we were rushed by the guide because he wanted to take us to the rug factory, tile factory and the fur factory for some "local culture". We only went to the rug factory and then told him we did not wish to go to the others. We were diappointed that we could have spent more time at Ephesus instead of being hearded around for his monetary benefit. I did write to the company after we returned to voice my concern about this practice but never received a reply. My advice is if you don't care to see these places make it very clear up front.

Thanks for the heads up - that's great advice.

Joe

I just used Ekol for a private tour (just me!) out of Kusadasi to Didyma, Priene, and Miletus. First let me say that for anyone returning to Kusadasi who has already done Ephesus, this is a GREAT alternative. I'm happy to give more details if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I did not have a separate driver and guide, just one person. I tipped $20 US for what was a 6-hour tour. I had advised Ekol in advance that I was not interested in any shopping stops, and the driver never mentioned anything other than asking me if I wanted to be dropped off in Kusadasi town for shopping or just taken back to my hotel.

My wife and I used Ekol last August for Istanbul and Ephesus. We merely told the guide in Istanbul to skip the rugs and he was more than obliging to drop us off where we wanted - the Grand Bazaar - and even gave us a tour around. YOu can definitely ask them to modify their route given the close proximity of the sites. Rather than taking the car RT back to the ship, we had them leave us at the Bazaar and spend the other part of the day walking down hill to the Egyptian Bazaar and across the bridge to the ship. I really is easy. We also enjoyed Ephesus. Not sure who to recommend as both of our guides were doing it in summer, one was a business professor at Istanbul University and the other was a student. But both were very knowlegable and courteous.

Joe

Is this per person? There are 2 of us on the excursion.

Is this per person? There are 2 of us on the excursion.

They did not say. There also will be 2 on our excursion.

I assume it is not per person. It takes the same effort to drive the car for two or four people and same effort to guide two or four people.

Joe

Archived