The Metro in LA

CoffeeNerd

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the Metro system in LA is? My wife and I are going on the Mariner on July 5th and will be in town the 2nd. The Best Western we are staying at in Long Beach is right across from a train station. It got me thinking it could be an option.

It looks like it could take 60 to 90 minutes to get to where the walk of fame is, so we know it would take longer then driving and we are OK with that. Not having to find parking would be great.

I guess my real question is, is it scary? Should we be worried? Do only crazy people take it? When I go away for work I normally jump on public transport first, but when I take the wife I do not want to take her in less then ideal situations but she wants to give it a try. So i want to know what I am getting us into.

Thanks every one:-)

Oh and great site. I have been lurking since my first cruise in March 2008 and have found it very informative.

First, let me caveat that I have never used the Metro...and I have lived here virtually my entire life...

Most Angelenos don't use public transportation...We are an automobile culture...we invented the drive-thru everything...No one wants to buy a house with less than a three-car garage (I have a four car garage...My brother has a six-car garage and, believe it or not, added a two story garage to his guest house...okay, he collects vintage cars)...But the point is, we love our cars...

The city, up until the early 1950s had the most extensive fixed rail system in the country--the "Big Red Car"...but they shut it down long ago...and had no new rail system until recently...In the meanwhile, the city grew, rather sprawled, into a megalopolis based on a Freeway system (The "Freeway" was actually invented here as well...the first freeway in the world is still here...built in the 1920s, the Pasadena Freeway--the 110 between Downtown and Pasadena-- was the first divided highway without intersections, lights or stop signs...with access by ramps and overpasses...It's actually a good lesson for city planners to see how freeway design has improved over the years...The Pasadena Freeway has short onramps with no acceleration lanes, narrow or nonexistent shoulders...anyway, back to the Metro)

So, with most Angelenos going everywhere by car, the Metro was really designed for the poor...the folks who cannot afford a car...Working class people in low-paying jobs who need to get from the poorer neighborhoods to jobs in the Downtown area and in the industrial sections surrounding it...

Yeah, they try to look a little more egalitarian and cover more people...but, the routes were actually designed to spur the most use--which means the folks without cars...

More than most, that line from Long Beach to Downtown accomplishes that...It cuts through some of the "worst" neighborhoods in Los Angeles--Compton, Watts/Willowbrook, South Central--to get you up to Union Station in Downtown where you need to switch to the line that heads up to the Valley through Hollywood...This line goes to and through some better neighborhoods, but still accesses the poorer areas in this direction...So, it does attract some riders with professional jobs in Downtown offices coming from the Valley suburbs...

But, the entire route from Long Beach to Hollywood COULD be scary to some...You will be riding with poor folks, recent immigrants, unemployed or marginally employed people...You will be making several stops in "gang territory"...

Really, to be honest, there's not all that much danger...most of these people are poor, don't have cars, don't dress all that well...but, they are mostly good people...and the Metro system supposedly has good security...So, your ride will likely be very safe...But, yes, it could be intimidating to some...

OTOH, most of US would prefer to drive it...for a number of reasons...it also gives you the freedom to diverge from your simple route to Hollywood and back...You might want to head over to the Grove on Fairfax, to Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills or other places off the Metro route...

Parking is not all that bad in Hollywood... You may have to pay a few dollars to park in a lot...or get validated parking at Hollywood and Highland if you buy something or eat in one of their restaurants. You could get lucky and just find someone pulling away from a meter...I always seem to find a spot when I need one...

Good luck...

Cool. Thanks guys.

Really informative post Bruin Steve. Some good to know things. I did not notice the line went through Compton. A car might be in order. I will relay this information to my better half. She tends to be the one who would be more intimidated.

I concur with Bruin's great summary. Although it's reasonably safe, I would avoid wearing jewelry, an expensive watch, etc. on Metrorail (the same goes for mass transit in almost any other large city). And it's probably not a great idea to ride Blue Line after dark.

My husband and I take the Metrorail to all the basketball games at Staples Center, the Green Line and transfer to the Blue Line in Watts. Yes it is filled mostly with working class people, students, women with children in stollers and the occasional person seeking donations. I have never felt unsafe and it is a very efficient means of transportation.

We come home at 10:30 pm on the Blue Line and again, do not feel unsafe. As in any public transport and any big city, just use your common sense.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the Metro system in LA is? My wife and I are going on the Mariner on July 5th and will be in town the 2nd. The Best Western we are staying at in Long Beach is right across from a train station. It got me thinking it could be an option.

CoffeeNerd...

I have a bigger question/concern for you than your actual post question...

You are getting into town on the 2nd (obviously from your post, planned without a car), then staying all the way to the 5th before your cruise in Long Beach?

And you don't say which Best Western in Long Beach (because there is only one decent one right next to the convention center).

Sure that might be okay, for a day or day and a half before a cruise - but almost 3 days?!?!

That's kind of like going to Toronto, then staying in the suburbs out of the actual city for 3 days.

Why don't you actually stay somewhere like Santa Monica, Venice, or Hollywood where you can actually see a lot of LA and sights (without even needing a car), and then just shuttle down to the port on the morning of your cruise?

I would seriously reconsider your plans on this, as it's not the best use of time, money, or location for 3 days in LA.

I've got lots of personal hotel recommendations in easier tourist areas if you need.

Let us know.

I would like to add a few things about the public transist system in LA, as there's the tendency for people to forget that we Angelenos are trying to give the best advice to those coming here for the first time.

Those who use the Metrolink live here. They know which areas are safer than others. And believe or not, one neighborhood can be a "safe" one, and a few blocks away, there could be one that is gang-infested. We even have that problem here in the suburbs.

Another thing to remember about the Metrolink, it's not practical if you have luggage. Again, it's primarily used by commutors (many who are middle class, but have a long commute that they rather not use their cars for) and people without cars. These riders would not appreciate it if someone comes aboard schlepping baggage.

I did use the public bus system to get from home (at the time, Encino in the Valley) to a part time summer job at UCLA back in my college days, but that was just a few times a week, and I had the luxury of time for the commute. My hubby also tried Metrolink when it was pretty new to get to work downtown LA, but he decided to join a vanpool instead.

And you don't say which Best Western in Long Beach (because there is only one decent one right next to the convention center).

BINGO!

Curt, I think you've hit the bigger issue...

There is only one Best Western in Long Beach that would be described as "right across the street" from the Metro Station...

The Metro runs along Long Beach Boulevard...

The "good" Best Western is a few blocks to the East...Only the one at Long Beach Boulevard and PCH is "across the street" from the Metro Station--which it is!!!

Yeah, CoffeeNerd, I have to agree with Curt here...if you've got 3 nights in the LA area, you don't want to spend them in this neighborhood...even if you have a car at your disposal...You'd also be spending a lot of your time getting between your hotel and places you'd probably like to visit...Consider other locations...

Being from a small town in Tennessee, I was nervous about riding the Metro with my daughter when we were in LA last year. (I won tickets to the American Idol finale)

We stayed at the LAX Hilton and could catch the Metro at the airport. I had rented a car, but parking downtown was outrageous as the Lakers Playoffs were going on at the Staples Center across the street from the Nokia Center, where we were headed.

I asked some folks at the Hilton about taking the Metro, including security people, and they said it was safe enough.

So we rode it from the Airport to Downtown and we had no problems at all. The cars were pretty full and yes, with mostly working class people, but I never felt uneasy. We actually enjoyed the experience and I wouldnt hesitate to take it again. It was nice to leave the driving to someone else, especially in LA.

Just know from Long Beach you're going to have to take the Blue Line to 7th St then transfer to the subway to get into Hollywood. It's easy and I'd say it's safe, especially during the day. Just don't set any valuables down on the floor, I saw a cell phone get snatched out of a bag on the floor in the blink of an eye right before the doors closed on the train. I'm guessing it wasn't the first time for these hoodlums as the timing was perfect leaving no chance to go after them.

Cruisin Chick - OP was asking about the Metrorail, the electric local transport, not the Metrolink, which is indeed commuter rail coming from the suburban locations. And baggage would not be involved as OP was planning to use the Metrorail for transportation from the hotel for sightseeing, etc.

Kenish - TonyFred is indeed talking about the Blue Line which takes one to the Nokia Center. He started on the Green Line from the airport area, as we do from Redondo Beach, and transfered to the Blue Line to get downtown.

Again, it is a safe and sane way to travel. There is certainly some interesting people watching but that just makes it more interesting. Just got home from the last basketball game, our last Metrorail ride for a while and I will miss it.

Thanks every one.

I had originally wanted to stay at the convention center Best Western (we have a 200 gift card) but it was completely full. The person there had suggested the one on Long beach Blvd saying it was close. I just took her word on it.

I am now starting to think I should rent a car and change my Hotel Location. I already have a car reserved, but when looking at the Hotel and seeing the train I had gotten an idea in my head. But you never really know a place until some one that lives there can tell you about it.

What will LA be like on the 4th of July? Does the city shut down? Will things be open? In Canada everything is closed on Canada day so I assumed the same.

I really appreciate everyone's help here. I will look into Santa Monica, Venice, or Hollywood area's to maybe maximize our time in the area.

CoffeeNerd!

Let me give you some ideas to start. These are all hotels that are decent in the budget that I know personally are good.

Click on the links for pics and info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679886

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679916

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724713

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680211

But now that I think about it...

The Best Western Sunset Plaza is absolutely fantastic!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917446

Great Best Western Hotel. Fantastic central location for tons of LA sights. Tons of great things in walking distance.

A great home base for you!

Is Best Western a mandatory? If so, that one is one of the best for the money in all of Los Angeles.

If Best Western is vital, I'll tell you which ones are good and bad in the area (if you want)...

Hopefully this helps.

PS Fourth of July won't be shut down too much. Lot's still open and things going on...

In a Best Western mode, here are the only ones that combine nice hotel with decent location (although that one Sunset Plaza is unquestionably the best one):

Gateway Santa Monica

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?&srcPage=SelectHotel&isMapOpen=false&selectedHotels=undefined

Only if you have a car, if not, not so great.

Royal Palace Inn and Suites

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05268&group=false&disablenav=false&hideProgressBar=false&photoCategory=HOME

Only if you have a car. Not at all without one.

Sunrise at Redondo Beach

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?&srcPage=SelectHotel&isMapOpen=false&selectedHotels=undefined

Good without a car for one day. For more than one day, you need a car.

Any others are either not good, or not conveniently located!

See if that helps.

On 4th of July most communities have fairs and other outdoor events followed by fireworks around 9pm. I would guess the ones over LGB harbor will be good. Stores and restaurants will all be open, although some will have earlier closing hours.

Taking the blue line from Long Beach to Hollywood is easy and inexpensive. The only downside is the blue line travels and stops in several places in Compton. If you're not from an area where all of the houses have security bars on the windows, you may be in for a culture shock.

Thank you every one. We reconsidered where we are staying and figured a car is the best option. We really want to enjoy our time there.

Curt Jerome Wild, i tried to talk my wife into Best Western Sunset Plaza but she is a little frugal and felt the price was more then she could stomach, regardless how nice it looked. We changed to the Royal Palace Inn and Suites that you had suggested. The location seemed to be great with a car, allow easy access to Santa Monica Pier and to Hollywood and The Grove and allowing us to enjoy more for the same price.

Thank you everyone.

We changed to the Royal Palace Inn and Suites that you had suggested. The location seemed to be great with a car, allow easy access to Santa Monica Pier and to Hollywood and The Grove and allowing us to enjoy more for the same price.

Great! Much, much better than your original Long Beach location.

Click on this thread/link where I have some actual pictures of the Best Western Royal Palace...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16734691&postcount=14

You actually get really large rooms for the money there.

Be aware, it's not the "fanciest" area (in a local condominium/apartment area) - but a great great convenient driving location.

10 minutes to the pier, 20 minutes to Hollywood, etc.

Be sure to have lunch (even if it's to go) one time here at Hamburger Habit down the street!

http://www.hamburger-habit.com/

Best best burgers in Los Angeles, and fresh cholesterol free fries!

Totally awesome little place!

:D

You're also really close to Westside Pavillion for any shopping or movies!

http://www.westsidepavilion.com/

Enjoy and let me know if you need any more help with questions, driving directions, or things in the area.

PS Since you're going to be so close to this, I thought I'd share an old, old song in honor of the cross streets!

• 2 months later...

I have just gotten back from my Cruise I wanted to thank Curt Jerome Wild and everyone else for their help.

The hotel that Curt Jerome Wild helped me pick was really a great hotel. The front desk staff was wonderful and gave us tons of great tips and the breakfast provided was perfect for me and my wife. They also have cookies the freshly bake all day long that was a great treat.

Thanks every one. I will try and provide help to others on these boards as well. We picked up a few helpful hints for while in LA. Like parking at the mall I think was called H&H on Hollywood and Highland while visiting the walk of fame. Parking was only 2 or 4 dollars for 4 hours of parking with parking Validation.

I have just gotten back from my Cruise I wanted to thank Curt Jerome Wild and everyone else for their help.

The hotel that Curt Jerome Wild helped me pick was really a great hotel. The front desk staff was wonderful and gave us tons of great tips and the breakfast provided was perfect for me and my wife. They also have cookies the freshly bake all day long that was a great treat.

Thanks every one. I will try and provide help to others on these boards as well. We picked up a few helpful hints for while in LA. Like parking at the mall I think was called H&H on Hollywood and Highland while visiting the walk of fame. Parking was only 2 or 4 dollars for 4 hours of parking with parking Validation.

Fantastic!

I'm so glad that I could help!

That hotel is one of the hidden bargain gems in West LA, so works great for people with your criteria!

Thank you SO MUCH for reporting back and letting us know!

:D

Cool. Thanks guys.

Really informative post Bruin Steve. Some good to know things. I did not notice the line went through Compton. A car might be in order. I will relay this information to my better half. She tends to be the one who would be more intimidated.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the Blue Line (light rail), yes, even through Compton. I grew up East of Los Angeles and use the trains (all of them ) to get around when I am going into LA, Long Beach, or Hollywood. I have even taken a small child. I've used the light rail to get to the Aquarium, I've used it to get from Long Beach to Staples Center. For the most part, people don't bother others on the Blue Line. There is also generally a sheriff's deputy on board patrolling (and writing tickets for non-ticket holders).

I would use the rails with no worries, the regular busses......well that's a confusing ball of wax there.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the Blue Line (light rail), yes, even through Compton. I grew up East of Los Angeles and use the trains (all of them ) to get around when I am going into LA, Long Beach, or Hollywood. I have even taken a small child. I've used the light rail to get to the Aquarium, I've used it to get from Long Beach to Staples Center. For the most part, people don't bother others on the Blue Line. There is also generally a sheriff's deputy on board patrolling (and writing tickets for non-ticket holders).

I would use the rails with no worries, the regular busses......well that's a confusing ball of wax there.

There's a major difference between locals (those familiar with LA) using the local transist -- whether the buses or the trains -- and telling out-of-town visitors who don't know which areas are relatively gang-free that it's perfectly safe.

There's a major difference between locals (those familiar with LA) using the local transist -- whether the buses or the trains -- and telling out-of-town visitors who don't know which areas are relatively gang-free that it's perfectly safe.

Yeah, and I'm telling you that I've never had a problem in any of the times that I've used the Metro - Red, Green, Blue Line or Metro Link. And I've done this since the system was built.

Archived