The Metro in LA

CoffeeNerd

The native Angelenos would be amiss if we are giving advice based on "maybe's." Yes, maybe you have been lucky. I just wouldn't want to tell someone unfamiliar with this area that just because I or you or anyone else hasn't had a problem, they should go ahead and stay at a hotel in a dicey area or travel through a dicey area. Not gonna do it...and then read a report from them later on that they got off at the wrong stop and got robbed or otherwise had a major problem that would have been avoided if we were straight with them. Yes, any location here (even Beverly Hills) can have risks, but why play "Traffic Roulette"?

• 3 years later...

This thread is OLD... I'm sorry for bringing it back up. We've been going back and forth talking about whether we want to use a taxi, supershuttle, or the metro(trail?) to get from Hollywood to Long Beach. I've read LOTS and LOTS of bad reviews of the supershuttle... the taxi is expensive. So we're considering the Metro again.

We're staying at a Days Inn right next to the High School by the Walk of Fame... so we're right there at the Hollywood & Highland Station. I know we get off at the 7th Stree Metro Station, then get on the blue line and get off at the Long Beach Mall Transit stop.

We'll have two suitcases for the cruise... these are not HUGE ones either... just normal suitcases. Will this be a problem? I've seen photos of people getting on the Metro with bikes and strollers etc., so why would anyone care? Is there ALWAYS a security guy in each cabin. I'm also not too worried as we'll be leaving around 8:30... so it's not like it's late at night or early early morning. Whatcha think? $6 total(2 people $1.50 per person on red line, then $1.50 per person on blue line) is a good deal from Hollywood to the port.

There's a bus I gotta get on at the Long Beach Transit stop... I forget what it's called, but you get off at the Queen Mary stop.

Rarely is there any kind of guard in the cars and usually not even in the stations. I've only seen them get on, check for tix and get off at the next stop.

Remember you will have to buy a TAP ($1) card as there are no paper tickets on the metro. And DON"T FORGET TO TAP for each segment. The fine for not tapping/no ticket can be as much as $250.

The Blue Line is almost always standing room only. Anything larger than a 22" case is a PITA on the metro and Passport. The only area for larger cases is at the doors. At least the Blue Line starts at the 7th St station so you can grab a seat. The Blue Line travels thru some of LA's toughest neighborhoods: Compton, Watts and Southcentral. Areas where large many-day riots have started. Don't want to scare you but also want you to know what you are getting yourself into. Expect it to take approx 2 hours. (Every once in a while the Blue Line shuts down because some pedestrian does not understand flashing lights and crossing arms.)

Knowing this I am planning on going metro to Carnival at the end of January. We have taken metro several times to Long Beach and many times to other areas of LA. Hopefully it works out for you also. :)

ETA--I feel like I'm stalking you all over CC;) :D Have a great cruise and easy transfers.:)

I'm watching this video:

It's really not bad... AT ALL! We have the metro here in St. Louis Missouri, and it feels just like that to me. There's rough areas you go through if you're going into downtown and Illinois. You just have to be smart with when to board it.

What do you mean larger than a 22" case is PITA? Never heard that term. I know it's probably short for something. I honestly think people overthink the "suitcases are bad" for trains... I've seen people take suitcases... strollers... bikes and nobody really cares.

So you buy the TAP card at the station... then what? Put that card back in the machine to buy the $1.50 fare? Kind of a weird system... why not just tickets? There's 2 of us... so we buy 2 tap cards? huh

Yeah, we plan on getting on the red line at like 8 or 8:30... then will be at Long Beach around 10. Not to bad really.....

I'm watching this video:

It's really not bad... AT ALL! We have the metro here in St. Louis Missouri, and it feels just like that to me. There's rough areas you go through if you're going into downtown and Illinois. You just have to be smart with when to board it.

What do you mean larger than a 22" case is PITA? Never heard that term. I know it's probably short for something. I honestly think people overthink the "suitcases are bad" for trains... I've seen people take suitcases... strollers... bikes and nobody really cares.

PITA- Pain in the A:eek: :p

When we took the metro in November DH and I only had 22" cases. Our computer, totes, purse were in the bags. Still have the bruise on my shins from DH's bags.

The seats are configured in twos facing forward. No room for a suitcase and your legs between the seats. 22" bag just (barely) fits under the seat.

What day of the week are you going??? Sundays are worse than Mondays or Fridays. Don't want to dissuade you but just know what you are getting into. :)

On the other hand the Passport bus is fun. Crew take it. We have heard interesting conversations. Many times dissing other crew members.

It'll be a Monday we ride down there on the Metro... so really, how many people are gonna be getting on/off on the way SOUTH on a Monday! Everyones going North for work etc. Sure it'll be a PITA with suitcases, but they'll live with it. Probably have one on top of me and the other on the side.

So you buy the TAP card at the station... then what? Put that card back in the machine to buy the $1.50 fare? Kind of a weird system... why not just tickets? There's 2 of us... so we buy 2 tap cards? huh

Yeah, we plan on getting on the red line at like 8 or 8:30... then will be at Long Beach around 10. Not to bad really.....

We normally travel under a different system that connects with the metro system and doesn't use the TAP card. November was the first time DH & I encountered it.

The TAP system is kindof confusing. We did all-day tix (bathroom is at Union Station:) at the end of the Red Line.) People helped us and were rolling their eyes at the machines along with us. Very confusing.

The machines should take cash or cards. Each person needs their own TAP card. Use small bills as change is given back in coin.

You will choose how much money or what type of tix and also buy a TAP card ($1). Get a receipt. No idea your age but in order to qualify for any special rate (HC or Senior) you need to send in proof and a picture. Mom received her senoir card in 6 weeks. The TAP cards are good for several years.

If you decide to take the metro back you tap your card on the machine at the Blue Line and put money on your card.

The system has one good point in that your card never goes into a machine so it cannot ever be 'eaten'.

Once you figured out the machines the next step is validating the card.

TAP at a turnstile or at a freestanding TAP stantion. For the Blue Line transfer there are waist-high stantions placed near the escalator fencing once you are upstairs.

ETA-- Just noticed you'll be riding on a Monday. Much less people than on Sunday. On our Monday Southbound travels we encounter many vendors selling candy and water, hobos and business people. Not so many families. You'll do fine. We've never had a problem.

Will the Hollywood/Highland Station sell these tap cards? I guess maybe they're by the ticket machine or something? We'll probably just buy the 2 cards, then just put $6 on it... 2x$1.50(red line) plus 2x$1.50(blue line).

How do we "load" the tap card? We tap it at the ticket station, then put cash in the machine... will it then say how much is on the card? Weird system honeslty...

EDIT: Wait I think I get it now. TAP cards are only sold WITH the fare included. So we would buy the card and the one way fare at the same time... the card that comes out will have that $1.50 on it for us to travel on the red line. Once at 7th Street, we re-load it again for a one way $1.50 amount. So, total it would be $8 for two of us. Is the one-way fare a option for the TAP card?

Oh, gosh...

Where do I start?

First of all, you are NOT "right there" at the Hollywood and Highland station...you have a good half a mile walk from your hotel, with luggage, through the busiest part of Hollywood...your hotel is on Sunset, closer to La Brea than to Highland...it's a quarter of a mile east on Sunset, then a quarter of a mile north on Highland and across Highland to the entrance to the station...

Then, after negotiating the ticket system, you wait for a crowded train ( any time of day at this location) to take you to Union Station in Downtown LA...the central hub of the whole system...where you are schlepping your luggage off the train and looking for another train...one that will take you the length of the system through all of Downtown LA, South Central LA, Watts, Willowbrook and Compton stopping frequently along the way before landing you in Long Beach...where you will now have to schlepping your luggage off the train and find a bus (also not equipped for luggage) to take you close to the pier...

It is NOT worth it...

I don't know what you've "heard" about Super Shuttle, but they are NOT that bad...and certainly better than taking the Metro...The only minor irritations I have ever had with any of the shared shuttle services is that you sometimes wait while they make slightly out of the way stops to pick up or drop off others...

...but this can be avoided too...Super Shuttle offers a service called Execucar Express...for this trip only $70...door to door direct service with no out of the way stops...no walking to a busy Metro station...no changing train to train to bus and hauling your own luggage...no unnecessary stops or waits...no chances of missing a connection or getting on the wrong train or bus...

EASY...

They will pick you up right at your hotel, load your luggage in the trunk...and you sit COMFORTABLY while they drive you directly to the port...then let you off right at the front door of the terminal and unload you luggage right to the porters...you arrive at the terminal, relaxed, fresh and unhassled...you've saved about two hours of your time...you've avoided even the chance of a wrong turn, a wrong train, a rare case of being harassed, robbed or pickpocketed...you haven't had to walk a step, let alone half a mile...

It is easily worth the money...

EDIT: Wait I think I get it now. TAP cards are only sold WITH the fare included. So we would buy the card and the one way fare at the same time... the card that comes out will have that $1.50 on it for us to travel on the red line. Once at 7th Street, we re-load it again for a one way $1.50 amount. So, total it would be $8 for two of us. Is the one-way fare a option for the TAP card?

You almost have it!!! :)

No one-way option just buying each segment for $1.50. There is an all-day option for $5 but you do not need that. (Even if you bought the all day option you still need to TAP on every segment.)

You need to buy a TAP card and put money on it. The dollar pays for the card, there is no other value to the card. TAP cards are purchased from the machine. Just make sure you hit the correct buttons, TAP card + fare.

For each passenger buy a TAP card and load $3 (for your two segments) onto your card. $4 total.

When you tap the screen should say how much you have left on the card.

If you decide to take metro back you can put money on the card at any time. You only need to buy the card once and it is good for several years.

Some things are easier said than done, this isn't one of them. sigh

Expect crowding on the Red line in the morning. It is a main line to Union Station and other downtown connections.

Early checkin for the Inspiration should be at the Queen Mary starting around 9am. The Dome usually opens up around 11:30.

Why would I go all the way to Union Station? We would get off at 7th Street(where blue line starts).

You have to have PATIENTS with this type of thing. I deal with this here in St. Louis when we use the Metro. It's NOT that bad. It's a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the Hollywood/Highland Station. and I don't mind carrying the luggage for that time either. These are two normal sized suitcases... not HUGE.

Don't have to go to Union Station but the Red line ends there and that's where the bathrooms are.

(I'll assume you're a guy and don't understand a woman's obsession with bathrooms.)

Steve is right the 7th street station will be crowded at 9am. We usually don't arrive there until 10.

If you've never seen Union Station in person you should. It is the last of the Grand Terminals built in the US.

Across the street is Olvera Street, where LA was founded.

Oh, gosh...

Where do I start?

First of all, you are NOT "right there" at the Hollywood and Highland station...you have a good half a mile walk from your hotel, with luggage, through the busiest part of Hollywood...your hotel is on Sunset, closer to La Brea than to Highland...it's a quarter of a mile east on Sunset, then a quarter of a mile north on Highland and across Highland to the entrance to the station...

Then, after negotiating the ticket system, you wait for a crowded train ( any time of day at this location) to take you to Union Station in Downtown LA...the central hub of the whole system...where you are schlepping your luggage off the train and looking for another train...one that will take you the length of the system through all of Downtown LA, South Central LA, Watts, Willowbrook and Compton stopping frequently along the way before landing you in Long Beach...where you will now have to schlepping your luggage off the train and find a bus (also not equipped for luggage) to take you close to the pier...

It is NOT worth it...

They will pick you up right at your hotel, load your luggage in the trunk...and you sit COMFORTABLY while they drive you directly to the port...then let you off right at the front door of the terminal and unload you luggage right to the porters...you arrive at the terminal, relaxed, fresh and unhassled...you've saved about two hours of your time...you've avoided even the chance of a wrong turn, a wrong train, a rare case of being harassed, robbed or pickpocketed...you haven't had to walk a step, let alone half a mile...

It is easily worth the money...

You're so right about the ticket system. Seems to be designed by someone that doesn't use it.

It took us 10 minutes to figure it out at the Orange line depot in Chatsworth then another 10 minutes at the Red Line to figure out what we did wrong at the Orange line. We donated $5 to the metro that day.

I didn't want to scare him about the robberies in the Hollywood area. Crooks stealing purses, etc then running into the metro to escape.

How hilly is that area? I've only been underground through there recently.

How hilly is that area? I've only been underground through there recently.

It's fairly flat from the Days Inn to Hollywood and Highland...a slight uphill grade in that direction...it doesn't get really hilly until you get north of Franklin...they'll have more resistance from the homeless, the panhandlers and the street people than from the terrain...but it will be an interesting walk...

Why would I go all the way to Union Station? We would get off at 7th Street(where blue line starts).

You have to have PATIENTS with this type of thing. I deal with this here in St. Louis when we use the Metro. It's NOT that bad. It's a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the Hollywood/Highland Station. and I don't mind carrying the luggage for that time either. These are two normal sized suitcases... not HUGE.

Sorry...okay...sure...7th Street as opposed to Union Station...my comments still stand...trade one busy downtown station for another...same number of changes, same busy part of town...same difficult journey...

OTOH, it is now apparent to me that you are stubbornly set in your ways...

Though unfamiliar with Los Angeles, unfamiliar with the Los Angeles public transportation system...and convinced that it is all the same as you are familiar with in St. Louis, you are absolutely determined to face all of the challenges involved to save $50 or $60...

I guess for some people, the cheapest way is the best way...all other issues be damned...

You will likely make it to the pier...it may take you five to six times the time it should take...you might find the whole experience interesting...With nothing to compare it to, you will likely convince yourself you've done the absolutely best thing...

There is probably not another local other than Sadie who would encourage you to do this...and I'm not really sure even she is trying to be all that encouraging.

But, it's okay...sounds like you've convinced yourself that this is best...and all you needed was to find somebody who could help you rationalize it.

I wouldn't do it...but, I also probably wouldn't stay at the Days Inn on Sunset (there are very few hotels in Hollywood I would stay in save the Loews and the Roosevelt, maybe the Magic Castle ...but we all have different standards)...I also would never hesitate spending an extra $50 or $60 on my vacation to make a connection far simpler and far quicker. But, of course, everyone is not like me...

OTOH, I may know Los Angeles far better than a lot of people...I've lived here virtually my entire life...and in different parts of the city...I have a degree in Geography from UCLA and studied the city at length...I work in real estate and, over a 35 year career, have bought and leased property all over the metropolitan area...

The Metro in Los Angeles is NOT like the Metro in other major cities...In most cities, public transit is generally used by everybody...rich and poor, commuters and students, city dwellers and suburban visitors... And tourists of all sorts...it is long-established in most cities and considered integral to city life...

Not in LA...We went from the early 50s, when the old Big Red Car was shut down and dismantled, until very recently, with zero rail transit...we had cars and freeways...and a very bad fragmented bus system for the poor...The current system is rather skeletal. It is centered around Downtown, butDowntown in LA is not the important urban center found in most cities. Despite some recent amount of gentrification, Downtown is NOT where most people who can afford otherwise would live. There is a business/financial district which comes alive from about 9 to 5 Mondays through Fridays, but is, at other times, deserted to the poor, the homeless, etc. The lines of the Metro in current form, are designed to service the poorest neighborhoods--the people who really need the service. I know a few professional types who use the system to get to jobs downtown, but, if they find they will be working late or odd hours, will avoid the Metro and take their cars...they make up a very small percentage of the ridership. most of the nicer parts of LA are not served by the Metro in any near-direct form. It is usable for certain purposes, but, it helps to know the system and the geography and the area. It is generally safe...but not entirely. Tourists with luggage riding through South Central will likely attract attention. Yes, you can get from Hollywood to Long Beach...and, for someone on an extremely tight budget, maybe they are forced to do it this way...But most people with a car...or who can afford a car, wouldn't.

I love Los Angeles...but I also know its good AND its bad...I try my best to steer visitors on this board in the right direction... But, I get it...some people don't want help...

I wish you luck...I hope you enjoy Hollywood...I hope you make it easily to your cruise...and I hope you have a nice cruise...

Not trying to be encouraging or discouraging but I am one who likes knowing all my options then throwing out the ones that don't make any sense to me.

Cookson--On your travels thru Hollywood go to the metro station and buy your fare early. If you can't figure the TAP system out then arrange for a ride.

In November there was only one other family that I noticed who took the bus and train into LA.

Not trying to be encouraging or discouraging but I am one who likes knowing all my options then throwing out the ones that don't make any sense to me.

Cookson--On your travels thru Hollywood go to the metro station and buy your fare early. If you can't figure the TAP system out then arrange for a ride.

In November there was only one other family that I noticed who took the bus and train into LA.

Yeah, our first day around Hollywood we'll be walking around(obviously) the walk of fame etc. We'll stop inside the station and pick up the cards early. Another thing I wanted to ask.. if we load the cards the Saturday we get in, will the amount still be good on the Monday we head to the pier, or is the amount you put on it only good for that day?

Really, watching that video I posted above reminds me SO MUCH of the St. Louis Metro... yes, the low incomed people ride it... and it can be bad when you're riding it could be bad if riding it late at night, but during the day, I doubt anything happens. Yes, I have enough patients to pay less in trade of getting there later.

OTOH, it is now apparent to me that you are stubbornly set in your ways...

Though unfamiliar with Los Angeles, unfamiliar with the Los Angeles public transportation system...and convinced that it is all the same as you are familiar with in St. Louis, you are absolutely determined to face all of the challenges involved to save $50 or $60...

Yes, I'm not geographically familar with LA.... but I've read a lot about the metro rail system, and DO have something to compare it to here in St. Louis.

BTW, you want to compare most dangerous cities.... http://keepittrill.com/online/2013/01/fbi-lists-top-20-dangerous-cities-america-2012/

Look what's at #3!!! LA isn't even on the list. If I can handle STL.. we can handle LA.

Yes, I'm not geographically familar with LA.... but I've read a lot about the metro rail system, and DO have something to compare it to here in St. Louis.

BTW, you want to compare most dangerous cities.... http://keepittrill.com/online/2013/01/fbi-lists-top-20-dangerous-cities-america-2012/

Look what's at #3!!! LA isn't even on the list. If I can handle STL.. we can handle LA.

Statistics can be deceptive...

LA, overall, is not that dangerous...but LA covers a very large area...Some parts are almost entirely safe...Averaging that out, some parts are terrible...You are travelling through some of the most terrible parts...Be very wary...In ALL major cities, criminals like to pick on the obvious tourist...usually confused, paying attention to other things, susceptible to all sorts of crimes and scams. YOU will be the obvious tourist--dragging your luggage around through Hollywood and down through South Central on the Metro.

A lot of LA is beautiful...upscale, pleasant, well maintained...You have chosen to stay in an area that isn't...Hollywood sounds romantic to some...It was very stylish back in the 20s and 30s...Today, it is a bit run down...There are still very upscale, expensive neighborhoods in the Hollywood Hills--to the north of where you are...But down in central Hollywood, you are in the realm of the street people--homeless, drug addicts and drug pushers, pimps an prostitutes, panhandlers, thieves, pickpockets and other criminals...Yeah, lots of honest working people as well, but an inordinate number of those others...

It IS interesting as well, of course...and there are a good share of the typical well-known LA landmarks--Grauman's Chinese, the Walk of Fame, the Hollywood Sign, etc. Most of those sights are concentrated up around Hollywood Blvd. in a small area that will be crowded with tourists...

For most LA visitors, I usually recommend staying on the West Side--Santa Monica, for example, and use the HOHO bus or a tour company to see Hollywood...or up at Universal (from where it DOES make sense to ride the Metro the few stops down to Hollywood and Highland)...These areas present a much nicer side of Los Angeles...The tourist staying in Hollywood ends up with a much different picture of exactly what Los Angeles is...

When staying IN Hollywood, what makes the most sense for most tourists is to stay at the Loews (formerly the Renaissance) which is right IN the Hollywood and Highland complex or at the Roosevelt--which is Hollywood's "Grande Dame" hotel...Both of these are first class hotels and provide a bit of insulation...

Otherwise, it makes sense to some to stay in WEST Hollywood (several hotels there--Sunset Plaza, Chateau Marmont, W, Andaz, etc.--but West Hollywood is NOT Hollywood...and most people choosing to stay there do it for the music and club scene...it's LA's nightlife center with lots of music and comedy venues...but it's several miles from where you are.

I don't think you're giving your own town enough credit.... the Days Inn is right next to the High School. Is there REALLY gonna be shaddy things going on around here? Seriously, it's right next to the attractions down there. I've read plenty of reviews of the hotel, and for the majority, it's positive. Like I said, our suitcases are not that big... about 24 inches long(2 feet)... I'll be picking them up, not dragging them(I'm only 25, so this is not a big deal). I've seen PLENTY... PLENTY of people carrying oversized things(strollers, bikes etc.) to/in the metro here in St. Louis, and have seen pictures and videos of it on the LA Metro... so it's not like it's uncommon. Like I said as well, I'm 25, will be walking faster with the luggage. I doubt someones gonna come up to us.....

It's a intimidation thing when it comes to stuff like this... and since I've SEEN things and have experienced bad areas before here in St. Louis, it doesn't bother me. It's not like we're gonna get off at Compton and walk around then get back on the train. If we're on the train from start to finish(besides 7th street, which I'm patient enough to handle), and don't get off at any of the bad areas south.... my friend, we'll be fine. I thank you for your concerns, but I honestly don't think you give your own train system enough credit.

Bear in mind that in areas with relatively low populations, a small number of crimes can generate a large per capita rate.

I don't think you're giving your own town enough credit.... the Days Inn is right next to the High School. Is there REALLY gonna be shaddy things going on around here? Seriously, it's right next to the attractions down there. I've read plenty of reviews of the hotel, and for the majority, it's positive. Like I said, our suitcases are not that big... about 24 inches long(2 feet)... I'll be picking them up, not dragging them(I'm only 25, so this is not a big deal). I've seen PLENTY... PLENTY of people carrying oversized things(strollers, bikes etc.) to/in the metro here in St. Louis, and have seen pictures and videos of it on the LA Metro... so it's not like it's uncommon. Like I said as well, I'm 25, will be walking faster with the luggage. I doubt someones gonna come up to us.....

It's a intimidation thing when it comes to stuff like this... and since I've SEEN things and have experienced bad areas before here in St. Louis, it doesn't bother me. It's not like we're gonna get off at Compton and walk around then get back on the train. If we're on the train from start to finish(besides 7th street, which I'm patient enough to handle), and don't get off at any of the bad areas south.... my friend, we'll be fine. I thank you for your concerns, but I honestly don't think you give your own train system enough credit.

Cookson,

I think that you should do what you want even though Steve Bruin gave you excellent advice about Los Angeles and the metrolink.

I grew up in St. Louis and also lived in the L.A. area for 35 years, and other than the North side of STL, L.A. is far less safe.

Of 200 cities and areas of Los Angeles County, Hollywood is ranked as the 27th most unsafe, with Watts being 11th. Bear in mind that in areas with relatively low populations, a small number of crimes can generate a large per capita rate.

Do what you want, but the LASD has to assign armed officers to ride the metro link 27/7, and on the runs (which you will take) through Watts and Athens, they assign more, and yet there are still shootings and assaults during the day and night.

But like you said, you are 25 and can handle it.:) Good luck.:)

Bear in mind that in areas with relatively low populations, a small number of crimes can generate a large per capita rate.

Cookson,

I think that you should do what you want even though Steve Bruin gave you excellent advice about Los Angeles and the metrolink.

I grew up in St. Louis and also lived in the L.A. area for 35 years, and other than the North side of STL, L.A. is far less safe.

Of 200 cities and areas of Los Angeles County, Hollywood is ranked as the 27th most unsafe, with Watts being 11th. Bear in mind that in areas with relatively low populations, a small number of crimes can generate a large per capita rate.

Do what you want, but the LASD has to assign armed officers to ride the metro link 27/7, and on the runs (which you will take) through Watts and Athens, they assign more, and yet there are still shootings and assaults during the day and night.

But like you said, you are 25 and can handle it.:) Good luck.:)

Our family has taken the metro many times with no incident in the past 16 years it has been in our area. Only once have we seen armed Sherriffs (they were with K-9s at Union Station) and only an handful of times have we seen ANY type of official onboard.

DD took the metro to college for a month over the summer and she only saw an official once.

Archived