The Metro in LA

CoffeeNerd

Hubby took the Metro from Northridge (near where Rosefloater was going to leave from) to downtown LA a few days ago because he had a morning meeting and wanted to see if that was an option from having to deal with rush hour traffic (usually by the time he leaves for his normal work shift' date=' traffic is much better) or the option he tried before, which was sleeping in the fire dispatch dorm (which turned out to be too noisy for him). He actually found it fine, but he only took his lunch pail and left his briefcase at home, as he had a bit of a walk from the station to his building. But definitely it's for commuters, especially those who know LA. He wouldn't recommend it for lugging your luggage on, especially if it's filled with passengers.

[/quote']

Did it take DH longer to get to downtown by taking public trans rather than driving?

The largest suitcase we take is a 22" and had no problem, even in a blue line car that was full. But I wouldn't take anything larger than that.

Did it take DH longer to get to downtown by taking public trans rather than driving?

The largest suitcase we take is a 22" and had no problem, even in a blue line car that was full. But I wouldn't take anything larger than that.

It was more that he didn't have to drive in rush hour. But the train should take less time just because it's going via the rail and not on the freeway. Some of the guys who work in his division take the train (in fact, one of them survived that terrible accident a few years ago when that guy parked his vehicle on the rail).

Well, we're only going to be in Hollywood for two days, and the first day we won't be in the hotel till around 1. A tour sounds great, but we honestly have both days already planned out. Makes me kind of wish we planned to stay in LA a few extra days, but we'll make do with the time we got before our Baja Cruise.

We're probably not gonna take the metro rail to Long Beach, but I still kinda do. :D

Well, we're only going to be in Hollywood for two days, and the first day we won't be in the hotel till around 1. A tour sounds great, but we honestly have both days already planned out. Makes me kind of wish we planned to stay in LA a few extra days, but we'll make do with the time we got before our Baja Cruise.

We're probably not gonna take the metro rail to Long Beach, but I still kinda do. :D

Then you'll just have to come back again!:)

• 2 weeks later...

So we're THINKING about the metro rail again... lol.... we're thinking about starting on the red line at about 9:45/10AM, which means we'll be at Transit Mall around 11/11:15AM. My question is, how often does the Passport bus pick up at that bus stop? Every how so many minutes? We're hoping to be at the pier around 12. The chance to save a lot of money is just too good to pass up... so we're re thinking a bit. lol

We have happily used public transit for every trip we've made to LA with no problems. Knock on wood, I know. As I recall, when the Passport bus is running, one picks up about every 10 minutes. Here is a link to my blog about getting from LAX to our last cruise that might have some helpful hints or links for you.

http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com/2012/05/heading-for-disney-wonder-inaugural.html

Shouldn't be too crowded.

The bus isn't one level. There are a few seats (3-4 rows) then there are a few steps up to the other seats.

Search for Long Beach Passport bus. IIRC the Passport runs every 10 minutes or so. The stop you want is the Queen Mary.

How crowded is the Passport bus usually around the 11/11:30 time on a Monday. While we do only have two pieces of luggage, I'm hoping it's not that crowded..... anyone have trouble with luggage on this bus?

Last time we took the Passport on a Monday, it was pretty full, but there were some seats. Will let you know how it is when we are on the bus tomorrow.

The largest pieces of luggage that we took were 22" and a tote/backpack. We had no problem. Some people had 24" suitcases and a case of water.

If there is a line starting to form at the stop, try to be at the beginning of the line to make sure you get a seat on the lower level. The lower level has the floor space as the seats are facing each other against the sides of the bus. The upper level has few seats and are facing forward with little floor space.

How crowded is the Passport bus usually around the 11/11:30 time on a Monday. While we do only have two pieces of luggage, I'm hoping it's not that crowded..... anyone have trouble with luggage on this bus?

Just got back from our cruise.

Both the Blue Line and Passport were crowded this time.

Going to Long Beach--

We couldn't get off at the Long Beach Transit Center due to a power outage. We had to get off at the Artesia Station and walk to a Passport stop. (I couldn't get a map on my IPhone because I don't have an Adobe reader app.) Had the taxi number as back up, JIC.

Arrived around noon and the Priority Checkin was empty as were the lines to get into the Dome. Long line for regular checkin inside with many windows open.

Leaving Long Beach--

No problem. The Passport bus was half full and The Blue Line was very crowded.

There was at least one other couple traveling on the metro system from the ship.

Just be aware that if you call a cab you could be waiting as long as 30-60 minutes. If you call from a major hotel, hospital, etc. the wait won't be as long. Also, my understanding is that cabs will not go to some areas of South LA although it shouldn't be a problem during the day. (Of course the chances you will need a cab are small).

I'd guess the reason transit was so crowded is due to the recent gas price increase. Unleaded in SoCal is $3.85-$4.00 and climbing. The main Blue Line ridership are people who are very affected by this.

Hmm wonder why they were busy on a monday. What's the taxi number I would need in case of an emergency.

Was anybody on the train carrying suitcases on board that you noticed?

http://www.lbyellowcab.com/

Only we were with suitcases. Many were commuters to work. SOme strollers and bikes. At times it was standing room only.

So SadieN, would you recommend still using the local transportation after this experience?

Yes. I would do it again. :D

Mom and Sis had other problems on the Orange line.

But we have taken the lines many times and have had no problems until this time.

(OK, there was that one time when they were working on the railline and we had to debark onto a bus. No room for cases on that crowded bus.)

Friends, Sadie MAY do it again...

Sadie is from the area...she knows where she's going...she knows what to expect...she may recognize what to do when things don't go as expected...

BUT, I really would not recommend this option for MOST people...

There are oh so many things that can go wrong for you...

And, why subject yourself to them? To save a few dollars?

IMHO, it is well worth the few extra dollars for a shuttle in order to get DOOR-TO-DOOR service...to not have to deal with transfers from train to bus to walking, etc., to do it all in one trip, not to waste time waiting in stations or on street corners, to minimize your time spent traveling...

I usually get a chuckle whenever someone phrases a question like "What is the cheapest way to get from LAX to the pier?"...the cheapest way? WALK!! Of course, it will take you a long, long exhausting time, etc. BUT, it IS the cheapest way...

Friends, the cheapest way is not usually the BEST way...the best way is what is the simplest, the most efficient, the quickest-relatively speaking...that one can find for a REASONABLE price...Not the cheapest price...

If you we're buying air fare...and you could get a flight for a reasonable price--nonstop to your destination and at a reasonable time...OR...you could pay half the price, but the flight would force you to make two stops to change planes and take three times the time, would you really choose that second, cheaper option?

I know...no matter what I say, there are some people who will decide that they know better...that, despite not knowing the area, the routes, the system, etc., that they want to save as much money as possible, no matter the time needed, the inconvenience, the lack of comfort...and nothing I say is going to change those people's minds...

BUT, for most people coming to LA for a cruise or a visit, please heed my advice...use public transportation only for limited purposes in limited places...don't use it for your major LAX to hotel to port with luggage trips...use a shuttle service, a limo/town car service or even a taxi...don't make your visit more difficult than it has to be...

JMHO...

I agree with Steve. LA public transportation is not for the faint of heart.

As of right now it is easy to get to Long Beach. Meeting Mom at the Aquarium in a few weeks. Almost impossible to use PT to get to San Pedro. Not worth the money or effort.

This past cruise another couple traveled on the same trains as we did. I got off before them.

We are driving to our cruise this Friday out of Long Beach. The savings isn't great and DH needs to get back to work. For 4 day and longer cruises I will take PT again.

One of the reasons I'm interested in the local TP is the fact we'll be staying in Japan next year, and will HAVE to use the trains etc. I also laugh when someone says that out of towners shouldn't use the system simply because we don't know the area etc.... well, I've studied the area pretty well, and know where we have to get off etc. etc.(not much different then STLs metro).

That said, my wife is pregnant now, and using it as our MAIN point of transportation may not be the best option for this specific trip. We're leaning towards just gettting a cab to our hotel from LAX, as I'm sure she'll be tired after a long flight... and will probably just do the same from the hotel to the port. For this specific trip, yes convience is the better option. I would easily opt for the metro rail in LA if she wasn't pregnant. We will use it for something quick on Sunday, but that's probably it.

I have just been studying the system for the reason of simply getting use to train systems as we'll be using that non stop in Japan next year, like I said. They're simple to learn when you have people helping you, like SadieN. This specific trip though probably isn't the bext option to do all that.

Just got back from our cruise.

Both the Blue Line and Passport were crowded this time.

Going to Long Beach--

We couldn't get off at the Long Beach Transit Center due to a power outage. We had to get off at the Artesia Station and walk to a Passport stop.

We got off at the Anaheim station (in Long Beach), not Artesia.

Mom and Sis had other problems on the Orange line.

But we have taken the lines many times and have had no problems until this time.

We thought we would have problems on the Blue Line, but the problem on the Orange Line was between a chick who decided to argue with a guy about something (and wanted him thrown off the bus), but in the end, the bus driver didn't throw the guy off the bus.

Cookson - we will definitely take the Red and Blue lines again. Even with the interruption in services, there were people on board who told us where to go to catch the Passport bus to the Queen Mary.

One of the reasons I'm interested in the local TP is the fact we'll be staying in Japan next year, and will HAVE to use the trains etc. I also laugh when someone says that out of towners shouldn't use the system simply because we don't know the area etc.... well, I've studied the area pretty well, and know where we have to get off etc. etc.(not much different then STLs metro).

I think you missed the point of everyone's concern. Navigating the LA light rail system is very easy, in fact, easier than Japan's (more on that below). The concern is the route goes through high-crime areas of LA where some people don't have your best interests in mind, and an unplanned service interruption (power failure or collision with a car or person) will leave you on the street to find your way to the port on your own. The trip time will take a lot longer than other choices that aren't too expensive. Only you can put a value on your vacation time.

The transit systems in Japan are virtually crime-free, as is the entire country. Young women commute alone from their work, late at night. They walk downtown streets and take the subway without worry, and don't need to. Just avoid rush hours, or you will probably find yourself shoved out to the platform with a crush of people. There are even white-gloved platform attendants to "sardine" passengers into the car so the doors can slide shut! :)

Japanese travel very light. One way to become an "Ugly American" quickly is to take your luggage to your seating area or have a lot of luggage at peak commute hours. Japanese are so polite they would never say anything but it won't make a good impression. This article is good: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html I'm not saying you wouldn't think of others, but the Japanese mindset in public is constant concern for how your actions affect or inconvenience others.

An extremely convenient way to travel light is takuhaibin. You can have your luggage shipped for about $15 per piece. There are counters at most airports, 7/11 stores, hotels, etc. Delivery is usually overnight or the day after. It works especially well for cruises...you can do your land travel with the essentials and ship everything else ahead to the pre-cruise hotel.

About navigating the subway- signage outside the fare gates is usually in Japanese only. Look confused and someone eager to practice their English on you will offer to help within a minute or two. Once you're inside, the signs are in Kanji, Hiragana, and Romaji (alphabet). The other tactic is to pay the minimum fare to get through the turnstile. At your destination, go to the add-fare booth and they will collect the shortage (remember they are impeccably honest).

Sorry to hijack the LA Metro thread but hope the tips and contrasts between the two are useful.

I hope that anyone who is checking out this thread with the idea of saving some $ by utilizing the public so-called rapid transit here reads Steve's and Kenish's posts. Just because you were able to get around another big city using the buses or commuter trains there, won't mean it won't be a very time-consuming, dangerous (using the example above if you have to leave the vehicle if there's mechanical problems, or accidentally getting off at the wrong stop -- some streets such as Rodeo can be okay in some places, and in gang territory in others).

While I have been on some city bus/metro systems (Seattle, BART, etc.), I wouldn't use any of them with luggage unless they're a flyaway from an airport, transporting people to hotels. If a bus is crowded with people trying to get to work or school and there's people trying to pinch pennies and dragging on suitcases or big duffel bags, I don't consider that considerate.

While I was planning our ports for our most recent cruise, my very frugal hubby stated "no buses." Two years ago, we took public transit in Hilo, Lahaina and Honolulu. We did save some money, but these bus trips took up more time than if we had gotten a taxi. In December, we took taxis in Lahaina to our destination, which did cost about $16 plus tip each way, as opposed to $2 each for three of us one way, but we didn't have a crowded bus like the last time, and we were able to get in the vehicle as soon as it showed up, rather than waiting for the bus and then dealing with people pushing onto the bus. With Honolulu, didn't have to get on the right numbered bus, just told the driver where we wanted to go. (Hilo, we jumped on the Walmart bus, but we had to wait a longgggggg time).

The upshot is that you can be giving up time (and if you're only here for a few days or less...) and convenience just to save a little money. Same thing if you stay in a little dinky out-of-the-way hotel in Pacoima, El Segundo or wherever, because it's less money than the Doubletree near the port.

I think you missed the point of everyone's concern. Navigating the LA light rail system is very easy, in fact, easier than Japan's (more on that below). The concern is the route goes through high-crime areas of LA where some people don't have your best interests in mind, and an unplanned service interruption (power failure or collision with a car or person) will leave you on the street to find your way to the port on your own.

I understand the high crime areas. Anyones a fool thinking the LA system is harder than Japans.

That article you linked to said its ok to travel with larger luggage on airport trains in Japan. We wouldn't plan on bringing luggage on our site seeing days in Japan.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just got back from our trip. Great few days in Hollywood, and had a great cruise.

My wife was in the mood to go ahead and ride the train from Hollywood down to Long Beach... I guess she liked it since we were on it the day before to visit something quickly(had to ride from Hollywood/Vine to our destination that Sunday as Hollywood/Highland was closed for the Oscars.)

The Hollywood/Highland station was open Monday morning, so we left at about 9:30. Took the Passport Bus from the Transit Mall Station to the Queen Mary and arrived somewhere between 11 and 11:30 for early check in. We had no issues whatsoever on the trains or passport bus. Spent only $6. Well worth it in my opinion. Had no issues with luggage. I don't see why people would find the luggage to be a problem as I saw a bunch of people with bikes, and strollers.... there were also a good share of others with luggage as well. If you have a bunch of luggage.. of course this isn't for you though.

Archived