Mendenhall Glacier Question

lovebug33

Okay, I just read somebody who posted that it is 14 bucks to go to Mendenhall Glacier. I booked an excursion that took us to some sort of gardens and then Mendenhall. It costs 58 bucks a person. Is it worth going to that to see the gardens or should I just take the shuttle bus? How does the shuttle bus work? TIA!

The Mendenhall shuttle bus is also point to point- dock to glacier and does NOT go to Glacier Gardens. For getting there, best would be a cab and perhaps city bus, between there and downtown?? With a cab one way, two rides, you need to budget at least another $25-30+++

Okay, I just read somebody who posted that it is 14 bucks to go to Mendenhall Glacier. I booked an excursion that took us to some sort of gardens and then Mendenhall. It costs 58 bucks a person. Is it worth going to that to see the gardens or should I just take the shuttle bus? How does the shuttle bus work? TIA!

What is the name of the tour that is taking you to the gardens? We booked a tour Junea's Best. I clicked on the link for the gardens and that looks like another great side tour.

May I jump in with a couple questions?

We plan to go the Mendenhall, then whale watching with Orca. I will arrange for Orca to pick us up at Mendenhall.

What would the cost be for a cab to Mendenhall?

Is there food available at Mendenhall? If not, any suggestions for where to pick up lunch to take with us to Mendenhall before we board the shuttle or cab to Mendenhall?

Is there food available at Mendenhall? If not, any suggestions for where to pick up lunch to take with us to Mendenhall before we board the shuttle or cab to Mendenhall?

There is no food available at Mendenhall and I would eat before heading out there as it's not recommended to have food out there.

Also, I would just take one of the $7 shuttles out to Mendenhall instead of getting a cab.

Thanks, everybody. It seems like we are a getting a good deal with the cruise ship and more convenience if we stick with what we have! Thanks again!

The problem with the cruise line excursions is that they spend only 45 minutes at Mendenhall -- not nearly enough time. You need at least 60 minutes to explore the various trails, plus another 30 minutes to go to the Visitor Center and view the 15-minute movie.

In summary, what would you recommend the best way to do Medenhall Glacier as oppose to the cruise line? Thanks!

Mighty Great Trips (the blue buses you'll see at the pier). I believe it's still $12 round trip, and you can stay out at Mendenhall as long as you like, since the buses run back and forth throughout the day.

It is $14 for the Mendenhall shuttle bus, last year. A cab is at least $25+++, and you have to call for a pick up at Mendenhall.

MANY people find 45 minutes enough time. AND there are only 3 trails there that can be done in 60 minutes. All others need way more time.

IF you are going direct from whale watching/flying to/from Mendenhall, take your own food, or arrange for a take out with Hot Bites on Auke Bay.

Archived