Oceania trip insurance

Acrusa

About to take out trip insurance as we always due before final payment next week.We are insured for our air by the airline ,hotel is with HH. We are just insuring the cruise portion.Anyone have expirience with O insurance?

The big negative about purchasing insurance directly from the cruise lines is that you are NOT insured against the financial default of the cruise line. So if they go belly up after you have made your final payment or while you are on your cruise you are SOL. You may be able o get yourmoney back if you paid with a credit card but I prefer to get independent outside insurance that covers me for financial default

Hmmmm. Interesting. I have been shopping around for trip insurance and I am leaning towards Insure my trip.

Thanks for this information.

Also look at trip insurance store dot com.

Very helpful website, compares and sells many different policies.

Check out statravel.com. This is a student travel site, but their travel insurance can be purchased ( at a much lower cost) by anyone. The insurance is underwritten by a major insurance co. Typically, a 14 day trip is $100.

I do not think O has an insurance company ...they use a an independent insurer

In this case Berkley Care

Check the fine print of any insurance contract to make sure you understand what you are covered for.

You need to do your homework

I do not think O has an insurance company ...they use a an independent insurer

In this case Berkley Care

Check the fine print of any insurance contract to make sure you understand what you are covered for.

You need to do your homework

Thats correct. Its happened to us before and the underwriter of the policy pays off.We are comparing covarege the main concern to us is Emergency accident and evacuation. Do we need $25,000.00 pp or $50,000.00 pp ?We will be in the mediteranian and thats our thinking. Will the cost to medivac be very high?Im that region.It's not like we will be in southeast Asia or Africa.

Do we need $25,000.00 pp or $50,000.00 pp

Acrusa-

Depending on what you might need medically, it can very easily go higher than that.

On the Maiden voyage of the (now, not so "new") Noordam in '06, a rougue wave broke Jims leg in St. Martin.

That is a fairly simple "condition" and we only had to get back to NYC, but we were still 20k into it before all was said and done.

Keep in mind that, regardless of your plans or desires, the patient cannot be transported home until they are pronounced "stable and ready to travel" by the doctors.

Medicare does not apply to any treatment outside of the USA, so you're talking about huge hospital, doctor, and ambulence fees, plus lodging and expenses for the "healthy" spouse.

Oh, and the "advising" medical staff will spend your money very freely. In our case, they determined that it was essential for us to purchase an entire row of economy seats, so that the leg could be elevated intermittently.....and then the angle of the cast made that impossible!

Hope you never need to use this information-

The key decision to make, in my opinion, is whether you want coverage to the closest suitable facility (a choice made by the insurer) or to a location chosen by the insured. Covering the latter, not surprisingly, costs somewhat more. But the additional cost, surprisingly, may well be modest.

As to the limits to take for medivac, since the price of a private air ambulance is reported to be extremely high, given the skilled staff necessary on board, you might want to have even more than $50,000.

Acrusa-

Depending on what you might need medically, it can very easily go higher than that.

On the Maiden voyage of the (now, not so "new") Noordam in '06, a rougue wave broke Jims leg in St. Martin.

That is a fairly simple "condition" and we only had to get back to NYC, but we were still 20k into it before all was said and done.

Keep in mind that, regardless of your plans or desires, the patient cannot be transported home until they are pronounced "stable and ready to travel" by the doctors.

Medicare does not apply to any treatment outside of the USA, so you're talking about huge hospital, doctor, and ambulence fees, plus lodging and expenses for the "healthy" spouse.

Oh, and the "advising" medical staff will spend your money very freely. In our case, they determined that it was essential for us to purchase an entire row of economy seats, so that the leg could be elevated intermittently.....and then the angle of the cast made that impossible!

Hope you never need to use this information-

Stan and/or Jim. Thanks for the information. After numerous cruises there is always something to learn about the essentials. I have used Travelex Lite and now upgrade to the Travelex Plus package. Thanks to you and others who spend the time to post.

I am looking into trip insurance & just called Statravel at Rindiar's suggestion. Their prices for over 35 have gone up & are certainly not cheaper. They also do NOT cover for financial belly-up of the cruiseline. I do believe some other companies will cover that though. That should be a major consideration when buying trip insurance in this financial climate.

Most insurance plans are secondary insurers, which means you pay first, even if you are on Medicare. That's why I always go with a plan that pays as the primary insurer.

The site from which I buy my policies is http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com. Actually I call their 800 number. Great to talk to a person in the know. With this company, one does not need to pay the entire premium up front if one wants to take advantage of the "pre-exisitng conditions" clause, which I do for DW.And what's really nice is that one can change travel dates without incurring a penalty.

Archived