what to expect from zipline excursion?

cones09

we would like to do one of the zipline excursions in southern carribean in july. it's listed as VERY physical. my question is there a lot of walking/hiking prior to the zipline or are we on a jeep until zipline? My back doesn't like it when i stand or walk for long periods of time. other than than, it's not restrictive. your thoughts?

Not only might there be some walking, you have to climb, either stairs or ladders...to get to the actual line. Then, you're harnessed, and you have to be able to use your arms to help slow your descent....It IS PHYSICAL. How much walking will depend on the location!

We did a zipline tour in Hawaii about 2 weeks ago, It was fantastic, but I will say, the drive up the mountain was incredibly rough, and you did do quite a bit of hiking over rough, muddy terrain, totally worth it, but if you have back problems, or are not in shape, I'd think about it.

I think it depends on what island you do the zipline at! On Barbados, there was very little walking, maybe 100 feet with a slight up hill climb at the end of the course. There were 7 zips, and the guides were very helpful. They probably label it very physical because it does involve "Zipping" over large heights and distances, but it does not usually include a lot of hiking. I know some of the courses are more challenge courses and might have rope bridges and rope ladders that are more strenuous. Check out the port of call boards on the island you are thinking of doing this excursion and find out what the courses are like. Each island has its own individual and unique course.

In addition to hiking or climbing, on some ziplines you have to jump up to be clipped into the line. At others, they provide steps or chairs. But you should check before you go, because by the last traverse, my jumping ability was severely limited. :)

Thanks that's very helpful. I'll do some more research and look at which island we should zipline on.

We did the zipline in Belize and it was about a 45 minute drive and then a very lenghty walk and there was climbing.I would say that it would be very physical.

My wife and I did ziplining at Lotterie Farm in St Martin, and while there was some walking/hiking, it wasn't really bad. My wife was just 3 weeks out from gall stone surgery, and she handled it well. I have read that others are more strenuous though.

• 4 weeks later...

I did mine in Honduras, i have had a back injury for 14 yrs. I didn't have too much of a walk/hike, took my meds before, and I did great, so glad i didn't listen to the warning for not go if you have a bad back!!!!

Archived