Luggage Limit of 2!

suzyed

I can't believe in this day and age that people feel they have to pack their suitcase as if they were back in Thomas Jefferson's time. Have they not heard about travel clothing? Why do they have to bring CD's, DVD's, many books (the ships have libraries on board), many evening bags, huh? Small, battery operated fan is white noise; I prefer the balcony door open. I took a nebulizer and 10 medications with me, plus a cane/stool and didn't come close to 50 lbs.

To each his own I guess but gosh almighty! :confused:

I have a kid. Therefore, I probably pack more than you people gloating over your light suitcases. :p Everyone has different needs for reasons that won't immediately come to your mind.

Lord knows I've learned things on this board about different needs for different cruisers... yowsers... Arwenmark's story about getting loaded onto a transfer is burned into my memory. :eek: I'll never step onto a small boat again without being thankful!

In addition, with the stories of NCL cruise ships' laundry services shrinking clothes, changing colors, and using detergent that didn't agree with the cruiser's skin, I'm not so blase as some others on this thread about sending out my clothing.

(And yes, I have travelled overseas with my child... There's nothing like taking a very-delayed horrific series of flights to get to Paris, and then finding out the bag with the diapers didn't make it! :eek: Actually ALL the bags were delayed or lost, but the important one by that point at night was the one with the diapers. LOL!)

I have a kid. Therefore, I probably pack more than you people gloating over your light suitcases. :p Everyone has different needs for reasons that won't immediately come to your mind.

Lord knows I've learned things on this board about different needs for different cruisers... yowsers... Arwenmark's story about getting loaded onto a transfer is burned into my memory. :eek: I'll never step onto a small boat again without being thankful!

In addition, with the stories of NCL cruise ships' laundry services shrinking clothes, changing colors, and using detergent that didn't agree with the cruiser's skin, I'm not so blase as some others on this thread about sending out my clothing.

(And yes, I have travelled overseas with my child... There's nothing like taking a very-delayed horrific series of flights to get to Paris, and then finding out the bag with the diapers didn't make it! :eek: Actually ALL the bags were delayed or lost, but the important one by that point at night was the one with the diapers. LOL!)

Carry-on diapers. Or, stay closer to home until you don't have to pack all that "stuff".

If you purchase the correct clothing, you don't have to send it out to the laundry, even on an extended cruise. You can get travel size Woolite and hang your things to dry on the clothes line in your shower or on the balcony chair overnight.

I always "splurge" and buy a new pack of undies pre-packaged for my cruises. I like cotton, but they offer cute nylon as well. I've started using packing cubes and they organize your stuff very well.

Chico's traveler's pants are great, and I have purchased tops from Travel Smith and Casual Living that work well with mixing and matching. I have a basic black Travel Smith long dress for formal or not nights, also a blue one. You really can pack without bringing your whole closet. I also wear these clothes to work as well. They launder great and no need to iron or worry about wrinkles.

On our last one week cruise DH thought one suitcase for both of us was enough. After much persuasion we ended up with one medium case and one carry on each.

We had enough clothes for two outfits every day (trousers and jeans were worn more than once). I honestly can't understand why anyone would need several evening bags.

We also carried lots of medications and the usual stuff of chargers etc.

Maybe 200 lbs belonged to the day of those cruises were women wore evening dresses and would want a different one every day.

Carry-on diapers. Or, stay closer to home until you don't have to pack all that "stuff".

Do you realize how rude you came across here? :mad: I had mentioned a long, delayed trip to Paris, and you reply how I should have stayed home or carried on diapers.

On our last one week cruise DH thought one suitcase for both of us was enough. After much persuasion we ended up with one medium case and one carry on each.

We had enough clothes for two outfits every day (trousers and jeans were worn more than once). I honestly can't understand why anyone would need several evening bags.

Maybe 200 lbs belonged to the day of those cruises were women wore evening dresses and would want a different one every day.

My husband looks great in his tux. He kinda struts when he wears it.

My evening dresses don't take up as much room... but my kid's princess dresses... good grief! Even vacuum-packed, those wands didn't get any smaller. ;)

Personally I don't care if someone thinks all you need it one checked bag.. one carry on bag... or a back pack. It is my vacation be it a 7 day cruise, a 14 day cruise, a 21 day cruise or longer. And if I feel I need 5 pieces of luggage , I will continue to take five pieces of luggage. I don't understand why people can come on here and say people are taking too much. Thats not for you to say. You can say YOU are taking too much, but you really have no right to say if someone else is. It's their vacation, their luggage. I will continue to take as many pieces as I choose and if NCL does not like it, they can kiss my fat, spending money on their ships, taking as much luggage as I choose, A**. I am quite sure some other cruiseline will welcome me with as many pieces of luggage as I choose. :eek:

So until NCL tells me to my face I have too much luggage, I guess I will keep doing what I've been doing.

Thanks for the laugh. I've been giggling for the past few minutes. :D:D

Let me be sure I understand here. The limit on board used to be 200 pounds per person? What could anyone bring that would remotely approach 200 pounds for a cruise, short of a year long round the world? And even then what would it include? Seriously, what could you bring? You are more than welcome to do it, but I just cannot imagine what it would include. Obviously you are sick of the suggestions to pack light but 200 POUNDS OF STUFF? As you say, it takes all types. I love traveling with about 20 pounds max in one small roll on. I have been in one too many places where there was me and my suitcases and a long hike around a train station to catch a train. Never again.

I'd think heavy coats, jeans, sweaters, boots could add a lot of weight for a cruise to Alaska; but my suitcase usually weighs in around 40 lbs for a

7 - 10 day trip. 200 lbs in a suitcase is alot of stuff.

I'd think heavy coats, jeans, sweaters, boots could add a lot of weight for a cruise to Alaska; but my suitcase usually weighs in around 40 lbs for a

7 - 10 day trip. 200 lbs in a suitcase is alot of stuff.

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but I just want to point out the rule of "200 pounds" is for all of the cruiser's suitcases, not just one suitcase.

Were people bringing their dive gear, along with sodas, rumrunners, and unboxed wine? That's a funny thought... :D

I remember those days of packing diapers, med's, sippy cups, bottles, formula, babyfood, 3 outfits per day "just in case he spits up or his diaper leaks" etc...and having to pack it all because you 'might' not be able to buy it when on vacation....I bet our suitcases weighed 100 lbs each in those days :D he's 9 now so I only have basic stuff to pack for him these days.

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but I just want to point out the rule of "200 pounds" is for all of the cruiser's suitcases, not just one suitcase.

Were people bringing their dive gear, along with sodas, rumrunners, and unboxed wine? That's a funny thought... :D

No, I meant 2 suitcases. I guess I missed the extra S. Either way that's a lot of stuff for 1 person. :D

I remember those days of packing diapers, med's, sippy cups, bottles, formula, babyfood, 3 outfits per day "just in case he spits up or his diaper leaks" etc...and having to pack it all because you 'might' not be able to buy it when on vacation....I bet our suitcases weighed 100 lbs each in those days :D he's 9 now so I only have basic stuff to pack for him these days.

You forgot the spare changes of clothes for the parents... I swear, the kids AIM for the parents. ;)

I'm really looking forward to just carrying my OWN spares for my OWN spills on myself. *laughing at myself*

Some of us still wear evening dresses. FREESTYLE do as YOU want remember. same thing for the evening bags this is how I like to cruise.

As far as soda and water are concerned. If they insist on not letting you check them as they are that just means that the line to and the things in the "naughty room" is going to be a lot longer since then those same people would have to put these items IN a suitcase and then they have to be opened to be sure they are not alcohol.

and might I add that now that they are going to Pepsi, all the confirmed Coke drinkers will be bringing stuff they might not have bothered to before.

All around pure bad judgement on NCL's part.

They will NOT be able to enforce it and they WILL generate a LOT of bad will if they try.

My suitcases themselves weigh between 15 and 20 lbs empty.

have you considered updating your luggage? Newer bags weigh next to nothing and are quite strong, using new materials. And it isn't necessary to spend millions on them. Dropping nearly 50 pounds by changing your suitcases would make a huge difference!

I think it depends on the itinerary. I just returned from two week S.A. Lordy, had to pack gear/clothes for Antarctica and clothes for two climates. Luckily the airline allowed us each two bags up to fifty pounds checked at no extra charge. I used three and my mom one! But one was meet and greet gifts, prizes, etc. And my bullet size blender. That is a must! With my Absolut thru NCL bar setupi must have made at least forty frozen cosmos. It was so worth it.

My next cruise - twelve day to Rome, Athens, Cairo,etc. I plan one checked and one carry on. I plan to pack only two or three jeans/capris and have those laundered. I doubt NCL's laundry could mess those up. A variety of tops don't take up much room. I take one dressy black skirts and a few dressy tops for evening variety.

I wear something on the plane going that I can toss and I take tennis shoes that I can toss at the end of the cruise.

But the blender goes on the cruise no matter what!

Thisis what works for me. Would never imply my packing strategy on anyone else.

You forgot the spare changes of clothes for the parents... I swear, the kids AIM for the parents. ;)

I'm really looking forward to just carrying my OWN spares for my OWN spills on myself. *laughing at myself*

:DRThat day will come! I used to travel with 3 young ones. My dream was of the day when they could fill out their own immigration forms on entering a country. And guess what- THEY CAN NOW! But we used to pack mostly the nylon ripcord material stuff that you could throw in a sink and swish around for a minute then hang and they would be dry in a flash. And yes they sometimes looked grubby but on the other hand- you haven't seen what I would have looked like it I had had to drag around bags and bags of stuff. My kids were allowed a school size backpack for all and everything they needed. If we needed dress up I would usually relent and put those things in my bag.

And I would not stand near my kids when they were eating! I actually remember one time in Bali when some kind soul gave my 2 year old an ice cream. Within minutes he was wearing it from his hair to his toes. A complete mess but also a chance to truly interact with people- they let us use some of their water and we gave him an impromptu bath as we all sat laughing hysterically. Put a change of clothes onto him and drove away much enriched by the lovely experience.

Pillows, books, CD,s white noise generator, small CD player and speakers, Personal DVD player and headphones, binoculars, about 10 lbs worth of medicine, Hot water bottle and ice bag. Duct tape, several evening bags, shoes, shawls normal clothes for the length of the trip. I do buy and use many reversable clothes when cruising though. My suitcases themselves weigh between 15 and 20 lbs empty. That's just off the top of my head. doen't include my Soda or water.

And wine! Don't forget the wine and champagne! Binoculars, little fan with extension cord, my Brita pitcher, shoes, shoes, shoes, books, i pod, headphones, measuring tape (to measure the cabin for McCall ;)), post-its, hi-liters,

frilly nightgowns:eek:!!

My husband (Login: Wife's_Packhorse ;)) would like to publicly side with the group that believes no one needs more than 2 bags per person. :D

Thought that would make you guys chuckle, too.

(What can I say... 11 inches of snow outside and we're going a bit loopy!)

=========

5waldos: I took the very very expensive travel underwear with me to India. I really didn't care for it. It was easy to clean, but uncomfortable to wear in hot, sticky weather. I'll keep an eye out for little ripcord dresses in pink ruffles. :)

I can! We'll be on a 12 day Baltic with a few additional days on land. The weather will be on the colder side in May so 14 days clothes (and not talking shorts and t-shirts) will likely fill more then 4 cases when you add in shoes and such. Course, I'm a girl, gotta have my shoes. DH and I generally have 3 large cases between the 2 of us for a 7 day cruise so I'm thinking we'll have at least 5 for this Baltic trip.

My cruise booklet that came in the mail did have the 2 cases up to 50 lbs limit noted in it.

Oh, my aching back . . . and I thought my wife was bad. :) We managed the Baltic cruise with a large suitcase each, plus a small backpack. And that included my tux and DW's gown . . . and my running shoes. It can be done. There will be laundry specials during the cruise. We had two on the Jade.

This thread reminds of how when our sons went to summer camp everything they needed for a week could fit into a book bag yet our daughter's footlocker for camp must have weighed 500 pounds. Vive la difference.

And wine! Don't forget the wine and champagne! Binoculars, little fan with extension cord, my Brita pitcher, shoes, shoes, shoes, books, i pod, headphones, measuring tape (to measure the cabin for McCall ;)), post-its, hi-liters,

ROTFLMAO It's been our experience that those frilly nightgowns just end up on the cabin floor ;) so you might as well just leave them at home. :D

have you considered updating your luggage? Newer bags weigh next to nothing and are quite strong, using new materials. And it isn't necessary to spend millions on them. Dropping nearly 50 pounds by changing your suitcases would make a huge difference!

I use to sell luggage, in fact I was the stores top grossing salesperson so I know luggage. My current luggage is hard shell though It is fairly new, so the materials are new as well. They are large suitcases though. and they give me the protection that some of my stuff needs.

but thanks for the suggestion.

LOL, In my case I don't drink alcohol. and take a very small tape measure I am sure the door and hall aren't that big LOL. Don't forget the SHOE BAG to hang over the bathroom door.

Oh, my aching back . . . and I thought my wife was bad. :) We managed the Baltic cruise with a large suitcase each, plus a small backpack. And that included my tux and DW's gown . . . and my running shoes. It can be done. There will be laundry specials during the cruise. We had two on the Jade.

This thread reminds of how when our sons went to summer camp everything they needed for a week could fit into a book bag yet our daughter's footlocker for camp must have weighed 500 pounds. Vive la difference.

I could kiss the person that invented wheeled luggage (and my DH might just go so far as well :eek:). I'm a girl, I like to "look pretty" what can I say, I'll take my chances with my bags, I really don't believe they will make me leave one of my bags at the pier and if they do I'll just make sure it's the one with DH's clothes in it.

Archived