Luggage Limit of 2!

suzyed

I met Rick Steves too. and yes he only carries one backpack his assistants carry the rest. Also I'll bet this is another rule that will not be enforced(it will be on planes)...like the no soda rule...Don't call just take what you need.

Three days of clothes for a 14 day trip? I don't think so, I'm wearing clean clothes daily and not going on vacation to do laundry. :) I'll take my 5 bags if the airlines allow and take my chances with NCL. If the porters won't take them I'll carry them on. Clearly I will never be touring with Rick Steves, who-ever that is. :eek:

So you will end up after the cruise spending a day doing laundry instead? When I return from a cruise there are plenty of clean clothes left in my closet so I don't have to do laundry the first day back...

One hour at a self serve laundry mat where ever once or twice during a cruise is better for my back.

So you will end up after the cruise spending a day doing laundry instead? When I return from a cruise there are plenty of clean clothes left in my closet so I don't have to do laundry the first day back...

One hour at a self serve laundry mat where ever once or twice during a cruise is better for my back.

Ok, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to pack 5 bags for 2 people on a 14 day trip, that's my thing. I was just replying to the comment on how anyone could need more then 2 bags per person, that would be me. Do I "need" them? No. Is that my preference? Yes. Thankfully we don't all think the same, what a boring world that would be.

BTW - no I don't do laundry the day after returning home, I space it out, I have lots of clothes. :)

Personally I don't care if someone thinks all you need it one checked bag.. one carry on bag... or a back pack. It is my vacation be it a 7 day cruise, a 14 day cruise, a 21 day cruise or longer. And if I feel I need 5 pieces of luggage , I will continue to take five pieces of luggage. I don't understand why people can come on here and say people are taking too much. Thats not for you to say. You can say YOU are taking too much, but you really have no right to say if someone else is. It's their vacation, their luggage. I will continue to take as many pieces as I choose and if NCL does not like it, they can kiss my fat, spending money on their ships, taking as much luggage as I choose, A**. I am quite sure some other cruiseline will welcome me with as many pieces of luggage as I choose. :eek:

So until NCL tells me to my face I have too much luggage, I guess I will keep doing what I've been doing.

Its amazing how much we pack rat too. After I donated all the clothes in my closet I had not worn in a month, and most likely would never wear again, it did wonders freeing up space in my closet as well. Of course, I do keep my coats, sweaters, shorts and swim trunks....Yes, many of us think differently...

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents.

The Welcome Aboard book says the limit is 2 bags/pp with each bag limited to 50 pounds. The 200 pound limit is no longer.

I don't know how they will enforce it either...might be interesting if they do try to enforce it. :rolleyes:

I agree. We never take more than 1 bag each on a one week cruise...and we pack enough to have clean clothes for both daytime and night...in other words 14 days worth each.

True...but we will be in Seattle an additional week after the cruise, so we will need our laptops and our clothing needs will be a bit different than the Freestyle concept. ;)

And, yes, SHOES!!! When my daughters travel, they have one whole suitcase just for the shoes!! :eek: Of course most of our previous sailings were out of Florida, so we drove to port...so no airline restrictions.:p

Three days of clothes for a 14 day trip? I don't think so, I'm wearing clean clothes daily and not going on vacation to do laundry. :) I'll take my 5 bags if the airlines allow and take my chances with NCL. If the porters won't take them I'll carry them on. Clearly I will never be touring with Rick Steves, who-ever that is. :eek:

Hee Hee! Ditto!

Personally I don't care if someone thinks all you need it one checked bag.. one carry on bag... or a back pack. It is my vacation be it a 7 day cruise, a 14 day cruise, a 21 day cruise or longer. And if I feel I need 5 pieces of luggage , I will continue to take five pieces of luggage. I don't understand why people can come on here and say people are taking too much. Thats not for you to say. You can say YOU are taking too much, but you really have no right to say if someone else is. It's their vacation, their luggage. I will continue to take as many pieces as I choose and if NCL does not like it, they can kiss my fat, spending money on their ships, taking as much luggage as I choose, A**. I am quite sure some other cruiseline will welcome me with as many pieces of luggage as I choose. :eek:

So until NCL tells me to my face I have too much luggage, I guess I will keep doing what I've been doing.

You go, Terry!! ;)

Susan

You think maybe you're over reacting a wee bit here? :D

I don't do laundry the first day back because there's plenty of clean clothes left in my closet and the LAST thing I want to do on a cruise is laundry. Plus, my sherpa has a strong back.:D

Its amazing how much we pack rat too. After I donated all the clothes in my closet I had not worn in a month, and most likely would never wear again, it did wonders freeing up space in my closet as well. Of course, I do keep my coats, sweaters, shorts and swim trunks....Yes, many of us think differently...

What are you freeing up space for? Isn't that the purpose of a closet, a place to put clothes? Yes, we all do think differently.:D

Ok, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to pack 5 bags for 2 people on a 14 day trip, that's my thing. I was just replying to the comment on how anyone could need more then 2 bags per person, that would be me. Do I "need" them? No. Is that my preference? Yes. Thankfully we don't all think the same, what a boring world that would be.

BTW - no I don't do laundry the day after returning home, I space it out, I have lots of clothes. :)

You took the words right out of my fingers.:p:p

Let me be sure I understand here. The limit on board used to be 200 pounds per person? What could anyone bring that would remotely approach 200 pounds for a cruise, short of a year long round the world? And even then what would it include? Seriously, what could you bring? You are more than welcome to do it, but I just cannot imagine what it would include. Obviously you are sick of the suggestions to pack light but 200 POUNDS OF STUFF? As you say, it takes all types. I love traveling with about 20 pounds max in one small roll on. I have been in one too many places where there was me and my suitcases and a long hike around a train station to catch a train. Never again.

You can always let the ship's laundry do the laundry.

What are you going to do WHEN and IF NCL will only accept two checked bags? Leave three of them on the pier or drive home?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a Systematic Suitcase Stuffer.:p

Last year for a B2B, I had one larger suitcase and a carryone. I had plenty of clothes, lots of shoes to match and don't think I repeated any outfits. Clothes weren't wrinkled either. :D

You can always let the ship's laundry do the laundry.

What are you going to do WHEN and IF NCL will only accept two checked bags? Leave three of them on the pier or drive home?

Honestly, and not trying to be sarcastic, I would just go to another line; I'm not going to be forced to rewear clothes or use their laundry service. I'm trying NCL for the first time in May, when I received my booklet in the mail a week or so ago it came as a surprise to me on the luggage limit thing as that's not what I had found on their website. I will travel with the number of bags that I want; my guess is there will be no issue and they most certainly will not make me leave my bags behind. I can only assume they don't want to have their staff handle all those bags so they are trying to encourage a limit. Like I said, if they don't want to take 5 from me at the port I'll wheel the 5th through. I can't think of any other reason they would want to put a limit other then the burden on the staff having to deliver them to state rooms; so if I wheel them then it shouldn't be an issue.

Rick Steves doesn't run cruise ship tour groups.

What cruise ship passenger with only a few hours to spend in a port is going to waste even 5 minutes on laundry?

I completely agree on this point. But I do not understand why people think that clothes can be worn only one time. Maybe I'm just not into being a clothes horse when I travel. I travel to see, not be seen. A dark skirt or pair of pants look fine for many days of travel if you are careful- hang them up at night, sponge off any stray dirt or spills, they look perfectly fine in the morning.

A dark skirt or pair of pants look fine for many days of travel if you are careful- hang them up at night, sponge off any stray dirt or spills, they look perfectly fine in the morning.

Different stokes for different folks. I am not really a clothes horse honestly but I like clean, fresh smelling clothes that aren't crumpled looking and after a days worth of wear, especially when out touring, traveling in public transportation, working up a little sweat in the heat of the day, well... to me that's yuck.

Take the quiz at their web site

http://www.independenttraveler.com/packing%2Dquiz/

Systematic Suitcase Stuffer quiz:

Are you a perfect packer ... or are you in desperate need of some practical packing tips? Answer the following questions to find out how good you really are at stuffing your suitcase. Don't worry if it turns out your packing strategy needs work -- we'll provide customized tips based on your personality type.

When I am finished packing my bag, it is shaped like:

X A bag

A lumpy bag

A tightly packed ball

An open mouth (I can't close the zipper)

When I lift my carry-on into the overhead bin:

X I put the bag in the bin and sit down

Someone has to help me lift my bag

Three large men have to help me lift my bag

I collapse under my bag and require medical attention

When I buy souvenirs, I:

Pack them neatly in my suitcase

X Pack them in an extra carry-on bag

Stuff them in my partner's bag when he or she is not looking

Pay to ship them home

My travel partner complains that I:

X Brag about how great I am at packing

Always borrow his or her stuff

Make him or her carry my 100-pound bag

Run up hundreds of dollars in checked baggage fees

When packing for a trip, I:

End up buying things during my trip that I forgot to pack

Pack one or two outfits and use the hotel's laundry service

X Pack some tops, some pants, one formal outfit and I'm good to go

Pack as if I am permanently moving to my destination

I start packing:

Two weeks before I depart

A week before I depart

X The day before I depart

In the car on the way to the airport

The most unnecessary thing I've ever packed was:

A journal

X A few extra pairs of shoes

A blender

A Halloween costume

My packing strategy is:

To make a detailed, color-coded list

X To start laying things out a few days ahead

To pick up whatever's on the floor and put it in a bag

I have no packing strategy whatsoever

The last time I purchased travel insurance was:

X Before my last trip

A few years ago

Back when flight attendants were called stewardesses

I have never purchased travel insurance

The most important thing I have forgotten to pack was:

Dental floss

X A rain coat

My passport and credit cards

All of the above

My Results

You Are a Perfect Packer

Perfect packer, we salute you! You're probably a well-seasoned traveler who has learned the art of perfect packing over years of trekking across the globe. Or you're a natural-born packing genius. Either way, you have the right combination of careful planning and selective packing skills that gets you to your destination with everything you need and nothing extra.

Take the quiz and report back how good a packer you really are!

Different stokes for different folks. I am not really a clothes horse honestly but I like clean, fresh smelling clothes that aren't crumpled looking and after a days worth of wear, especially when out touring, traveling in public transportation, working up a little sweat in the heat of the day, well... to me that's yuck.

My feelings exactly, except I think my other name should be clotheshorsesrus.:p

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a Systematic Suitcase Stuffer.:p

Last year for a B2B, I had one larger suitcase and a carryone. I had plenty of clothes, lots of shoes to match and don't think I repeated any outfits. Clothes weren't wrinkled either. :D

My DW usually bring one large bag and one carry on for a cruise, and I am able to stuff my stuff in one carry on. Bless her, she knows my back isn't what it used to be. Both of us were on the Rick Steves two week tour, and somehow she got down to 20 pounds too.

NCL is only asking for two checked bags 50 pounds each. My DW wouldn't have any problems meeting that goal..

Like I said, if they don't want to take 5 from me at the port I'll wheel the 5th through. I can't think of any other reason they would want to put a limit other then the burden on the staff having to deliver them to state rooms; so if I wheel them then it shouldn't be an issue.

If that 5th bag is too big to fit through the xray machine, in other words bigger than an airline carry on bag, you're not going to be allowed to bring it on board yourself.

Pillows, books, CD,s white noise generator, small CD player and speakers, Personal DVD player and headphones, binoculars, about 10 lbs worth of medicine, Hot water bottle and ice bag. Duct tape, several evening bags, shoes, shawls normal clothes for the length of the trip. I do buy and use many reversable clothes when cruising though. My suitcases themselves weigh between 15 and 20 lbs empty. That's just off the top of my head. doen't include my Soda or water.

Archived