Passport question.

Napi's Mom

Some local post offices offer a Passport office too. Ours is open a few days a week...you'd have to check for specific hours.

I also found it cheap and easy to do the required photos at Walgreens. But shop around. I know our AAA Travel office does them. Don't know the cost.

A well-reasoned, rational response. Let's all remember there is a big difference between facts and opinions. When asked for my opinion, I say get a passport. When asked for the facts, I tell the facts, and provide references. Glad to know you think the same way.

Thanks. There are so many opinions and incorrect info on these boards lately re passports, that it just has become MORE confusing. On very important issues like this one, our opinions just get in the way of first time travelers. And what they really need to know. And it certainly doesn't help if the cruiseline is saying one thing and the government is ruling another.

I'd guess when the agent says," We RECOMMEND everyone has a passport" the customer hears it differently.

A well-reasoned, rational response. Let's all remember there is a big difference between facts and opinions. When asked for my opinion, I say get a passport. When asked for the facts, I tell the facts, and provide references. Glad to know you think the same way.

I had earlier misstated what was on the WHTI site and stated as fact that all required a Passport after 01 June. You pointed out my error that there were cases passports weren't required. I posted an apology for passing bad gouge. I asked the Host to remove my original post since it put out bad info. They removed not only my post, but your response and my apology since they referenced the bad info.

It is important that we try and get it right, and to make sure WE and the people we are responding to know the difference between opinion and a fact being referenced. Not always easy.

Denny

We are thinking of taking out 14 yr old grand-daughter on a short cruise this year' date=' as she's rarely had a vacation and we [u']had[/u] hopes of doing this with all 3 grand daughters but 1 now in college, and one possibly going to boot camp after HS graduation (as she joined the National Guard while a Soph. in HS, and will be going into the Reg army for a while after graduation). So they are no longer available to go along. The point is this, as we aren't rich the best I can hope for is a Carib. cruise, or 4-5 days to the Bahamas etc.

The question is, I KNOW she has no passport, she is a minor.But can she travel on OUR passports as we're NOT her parents??? If she needs a passport that will change the whole timetable of when we could take her. Any reply would be helpful???

Hi

1st you are wonderful grdparents to even consider taking her on a cruise. Yes she does need a passport or US Stae Dept issued card for Carib- get the passport in the long run its better. As she is underage you will also need a notarized letter from parents stating its OK for you to take her out of the country. If you are in a rush there are passport expediators- look in yellow pages or check with local courthouse/post office sometime they are faster then US Passport Office. I know that a few yrs ago I rushed a passport by going to the Stamford CT district office.

Carole

Hi

1st you are wonderful grdparents to even consider taking her on a cruise. Yes she does need a passport or US Stae Dept issued card for Carib- get the passport in the long run its better. As she is underage you will also need a notarized letter from parents stating its OK for you to take her out of the country. If you are in a rush there are passport expediators- look in yellow pages or check with local courthouse/post office sometime they are faster then US Passport Office. I know that a few yrs ago I rushed a passport by going to the Stamford CT district office.

Carole

Sorry....This is totally wrong information. As Cheryland replied to you, Please read all the previous posts on this thread and note the sites which will explain the US Customs law to you. It is unhelpful to offer information that you cannot document. And only adds to the confusion. ;)

Sorry....This is totally wrong information. As Cheryland replied to you, Please read all the previous posts on this thread and note the sites which will explain the US Customs law to you. It is unhelpful to offer information that you cannot document. And only adds to the confusion. ;)

Here is the information that I posted back on page one. This is the official information from the passport site and below is the link to the page with all of the US passport requirements.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

• CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

Archived