Give up paid airport hotel and head to the beach?

Mom2ncr

I am taking my 18yod on a surprise cruise to celebrate her graduation and 18th birthday. It is our first cruise and we've never been to Miami (flying in the day before and arriving at 2pm). In November when I booked the cruise, I anxiously went to Priceline and bid on an airport hotel. It's the Wyndham Miami Airport and I got it for $80. I realize now I should have done my research first. We are leaving in 2 weeks and I keep thinking that an 18yo would much rather stay at the beach, even for a day. I think she'll love the atmosphere of the South Beach area. We normally don't get to take vacations so this could be our only time there.

I cannot get any of my money back on the Wyndham. I am on a tight budget, but I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and book another hotel at or near the beach? Even if we stay at the airport, we would take a taxi to the South Beach area but it seems that will cost $60+.

Any advice?

Rest for an hour at the Wyndham, then take a cab to South Beach. Walk Lincoln Road then have a nice dinner, followed by a people-watching walk. Consider the cab fare plus dinner as the cost of a "shore excursion" in Miami Beach.

The Airport Wyndham is a decent hotel. By the time you check into your room prime beach hours will mostly be over.

For much less than the cost of paying for another hotel on South Beach, rent a car for the day from the airport and go wherever you want after you check in. I don't know if the car rental companies shuttle you for free to the port, but they do in Fort Lauderdale, so check on that. Be prepared to pay for parking in south beach.

You can try to get a refund on Priceline. I did it just last month.They make a one time exception if you give them a reason. You can just say you really need to stay in Miami Beach. The way you have to do it is email them with the refund request, and once they say you can, you bid on another hotel in a different area or a different date. Then they will refund your first hotel reservation, minus a $25 fee, and keep your new reservation. For me, it was worth the $25 fee and I'm glad I did it.

Thanks for your replies....GraysLadyMurphy, I did email Priceline as you suggested but the answer was no. Maybe it's because I purchased the airport room with the "name your price" option? I think that is more restricted. But they did send me a $10 coupon if I want to bid on something else. I'll watch their website for last minute deals and if there's nothing spectactular at the last minute, we'll use our paid-for room and catch a cab to the beach. I can get a rental car pretty cheap, but since I've never been there I don't want to fool with driving (getting lost), parking & fees, etc.

Thanks for your replies....GraysLadyMurphy, I did email Priceline as you suggested but the answer was no. Maybe it's because I purchased the airport room with the "name your price" option? I think that is more restricted. But they did send me a $10 coupon if I want to bid on something else. I'll watch their website for last minute deals and if there's nothing spectactular at the last minute, we'll use our paid-for room and catch a cab to the beach. I can get a rental car pretty cheap, but since I've never been there I don't want to fool with driving (getting lost), parking & fees, etc.

One round trip cab fare might cost as much as a beach hotel. :D But then I guess you'd have to get to a beach hotel by cab anyway. The beach will be closer to the port anyway.

You're right royalcruz....when I chose an airport hotel I was only thinking of the free airport shuttle. I live in a small college town where you can go anywhere for a $5 taxi ride (they keep it cheap for the students). I also expected more hotels to extend freebies such as port and/or beach shuttles. (again, you can tell I have limited vacation experience and it's not been in a large beach city)

Keep the hotel you have and cab it to S. Beach for late afternoon people watching and shopping and a nice dinner on the street tables. Your daughter will love the atmosphere. And it so changes from late afternoon to evening.

Would cost too much to find another ideally located hotel when losing the other paid res. if you are on a budget. Lesson learned. You didn't say when you are traveling. Start saving $ for cabs now, so it won't be so painful then. Maybe there will be other cruisers at the hotel in the morning that will split a cab going to the port.:)

Book into the Wyndham, have them take you back to the airport, pick a south beach hotel and catch a shuttle to that hotel usually about $12 per person hey presto you are in south beach.

Hope this works, next day pick up the free car rental shuttle from the airport to the port.

Book into the Wyndham, have them take you back to the airport, pick a south beach hotel and catch a shuttle to that hotel usually about $12 per person hey presto you are in south beach.

Hope this works, next day pick up the free car rental shuttle from the airport to the port.

The discussion of "stealing" a ride on a "free" car rental shuttle has come up before.

Most here... that actually rent a car, don't appreciate facing a full van with standing room only because some people feel entitled to something not intended for them. It's because of your thinking that some companies have begun to charge or discontinue the service for its REAL customers.

Maybe in Liverpool...but not here please:rolleyes:

eandj....thanks for clarifying that about the "free" shuttle, but since I'm obviously a newbie I didn't even know what he was talking about!

I would definitely rent a car. While traffic can be hectic, Miami is pretty well laid out so you will not have any problems making your way to the beach.

Your teen will love South Beach!

Archived