Airtran question

Cookie2boys

I saw a $99 airtran flight but about two weeks from the date I want to travel. (1) How often do airtran have these low flights . (2) How low have you seen a flight go down in price.

Now the biggie question, (3) I know airtran will allow you to switch to a different flight if they change your flight time to one that's inconvenient for you, but if they change your flight time, could you change and fly out of a different airport under certain circumstances. This may sound strange but anythings possible.

I saw a $99 airtran flight but about two weeks from the date I want to travel. (1) How often do airtran have these low flights . (2) How low have you seen a flight go down in price.

Now the biggie question, (3) I know airtran will allow you to switch to a different flight if they change your flight time to one that's inconvenient for you, but if they change your flight time, could you change and fly out of a different airport under certain circumstances. This may sound strange but anythings possible.

I have not seen an airline allow you to change airports for any reason. If they change your flight time drastically, yes, you can change to another flight, but if you change airports, it will be a cancellation of one flight and you would have to book the second and pay the going rate.

1. No idea

2. Lots, but why would this matter to you? The only important flight is the one you are one. No other flight matters

3. Absolutely no way. Anything is not possible. Of course, you could pay the cancellation fee ($150 I believe), get vouchers and use them to purchase a new flight.

Airtrans does run sales from time to time but don't count on seeing all days of the week and all destinations. Its very hit and miss depending on how sales are going or are anticipated to go. Just because you've seen a $99 flight two weeks before your date does not automatically mean you will find one for your flight.

As far as how low I've seen prices go I don't think that question is going to be of any help to you unless you're flying out of the same airports. ;)

If Airtran changes or cancels your flight to an unacceptable time for you they will let you change to to another flight that same day or, in our case they allowed us to change to a flight the day before. And yes, we looked at the option of flying out of another close by airport and they said they would probably let us do this but there were no flights we wished to take from the other airport. BUT depending on the other options for you at the same airport on the same day I wouldn't automatically expect them to do that for everyone that had their flight times changed on them so yes, possible, but not a guarentee you'd actually be able to do that.

Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to make a change - IF the airports are considered "co-terminals" per the fare rules. Examples may include FLL/MIA, DCA/IAD/BWI, JFK/LGA/EWR, SFO/SJC/OAK, LAX/BUR/ONT/LGB/SNA or ORD/MDW. Again, this is a maybe, depending on the fare rules and the specific airline policies.

Trying to change from one metro area to another (say LAX for SAN or ORD for MKE) would probably be disallowed.

FWIW, I was once offered the option to switch from one airport to another when there was a schedule change eliminating my flight from JFK. I took a flight from LGA that worked better.

I have not seen an airline allow you to change airports for any reason. If they change your flight time drastically, yes, you can change to another flight, but if you change airports, it will be a cancellation of one flight and you would have to book the second and pay the going rate.

Although not on AirTran, this coming June I had a flight departing DTW on AA. Time got changed so the I called the agent and explained to her that I live in Sandusky, OH which is actually closer to CLE than DTW just the other direction. She switched my flight to CLE (I researched schedule before calling and requested this specific flight) and now I can still make the 2nd leg out of ORD that I was originally scheduled on.

You might get lucky and get a cheap flight, but usually when it gets closer to your departure date, prices do go up. I'd check their website periodically. I have noticed AirTran and Southwest are relatively cheap.

If Air Tran changes your flight, and you are not happy, AND if you want to change airports, you can cancel the flight and get a total refund. Then, you could go ahead and book the other airport.

We were booked on a non-stop PIT to For Myers last Jan. and they cancelled the non-stop, and put us on a stopover through Atlanta. I specifically booked the non-stop, and when I called Air Tran, they told me we could change to the day before, or after or any other flight that same day, but another airport was NOT allowed. Or, we could take a full refund. We just changed to the day after, as we were visiting family pre-cruise for 4 days anyway.

Archived