Swimming on Cruise ships in Alaska?

3sistersact

We swam on our cruise to Alaska back in 2001 on the Carnival Spirit, in the covered pool. This time I'm going on the Star Princess, which also has a covered pool, so I plan to swim, or at least use the hot tub.

Yes, I’ve seen people swimming on the ships in Alaska. Most of the ships the pool is covered and heated, they opened the roof a few times during the cruise. I’ve even saw people in the Hot tubs on Alaska cruises.

It would help if you let us know which cruiseline & ship you plan to sail on.

On NCL ship - STAR to Alaska last September, the outdoor heated pool on deck 12 was open for swimming, water temperature was around 82 to 84 deg. F (part of ship's onboard statistics displayed in the cabin's TV) and hot tub at 97 deg. F. Yes, folks were already in the pool in their swimsuits even before the sailaway party while still in SEA port.

The Royal Caribbean ships that sail to Alaska all have an indoor pool (normally they are adults only, but in Alaska they have family hours so everyone can enjoy them).

I believe the HAL ships all have indoor pools.

The NCL ships may have indoor pools but you have to pay for access to them as they are part of the spa.

We've sailed HAL twice to Alaska, and always folks were swimming - even in the top deck pool which isn't covered.

We had a magical experience in the hot tub on the top deck in Juneau. Had spent the morning exploring the town, the took the tram up to the top of Mt.

Roberts and did several hours of hiking on the excellent trails. Since we had nothing else planned for that port, we went back to an almost empty ship, grabbed an adult beverage and headed to the hot tub. With magnificent views all around, an eagle literally soaring just yards above our heads, we had the best (and warmest!) seat in the house. It was spectacular!! Definitely take your suits and enjoy!

Sounds great!! We will probably get back to ship early in Juneau too, also after mt. Roberts, and hopefully Tracy's crab shack, so planning on a little hot tubbing after that day is a plan!! Thank you for sharing...had to send your comments to my sister too!!

It also depends on your defintions of swim weather...last summer, my family went in the hot tub (me) and pool (the rest of them) the day it was 45 degrees with 65 knot winds. It was so wild, the splashes went up, across the pool, and landed on the opposite deck, drenching an unsuspecting crew member walking by in his nice warm coat. The ship's photog came to take shots of the "fools in the pool." Not only were our faces not recognizable, we looked sandblasted. Maybe it depends on where you are from...my family loved it. We eventually thawed, and have great memories, too.

• Administrators

If your cruise sails to Glacier Bay, perhaps your ship will offer a certificate for swimming while sailing there. Here's what the folks who earned that on our cruise last summer looked like (the staff threw real glacier ice fished from the water into the pool -- but do look at how the ship's staff and the other passengers are dressed!:

2590099410101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

The covered pool always did brisk business and seemed to be well-heated, however. I'd make sure your ship has a covered pool in Alaska if that's your priority.

HAL ships have a pool on the Lido and another on the aft deck. (The photo in the previous post is the aft pool on HAL). The Lido pool has a sliding roof; they do a good job of adjusting the opening so the inside air temperature is near perfect. Last year they had an Alaskan BBQ, grilled salmon and a nice chard next to the pool watching my son in the pool having the time of his life....priceless!

• 2 years later...
Is it warm enough to swim in the cruise ship pools while cruising in Alaska? Do any ships have covered or indoor pools? Thanks for your help!

My husband and I sailing on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska in August. A wonderful cruise ship! They do have an indoor covered adult pool as I believe most of the Celebrity Ships do. Ironically the year we said it was very hot! We wore shorts on all days but the day viewing the Glaciers- Bring Deet as the bugs are out in full force!

My husband and I sailing on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska in August. A wonderful cruise ship! They do have an indoor covered adult pool as I believe most of the Celebrity Ships do. Ironically the year we said it was very hot! We wore shorts on all days but the day viewing the Glaciers- Bring Deet as the bugs are out in full force!

Please keep in mind that by now the original poster has probably already taken the cruise.

I was born in Jericho, NY and lived there full time until going to an out of state college. Great town.

Keith

We sailed Island Princess last July. We saw in the indoor pool and hot tubs on both glacier cruising days. On the last sea day (before arriving in Vancouver), it was actually warm and we saw a girl swimming in the outdoor pool. She said the pool was actually heated!

Read the detailed review with photos of my Alaska cruise, packing list, and shopping tips:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Even tho this is avery old thread, just wanted to jump in here to say that all pools on HAL ships are heated as well as the jacuzzis. Nice and comfy to watch the glaciers from an outdoor hot tub with the spectacle that is Alaska all around you. There were even folks swimming in the aft outdoor pool on the Amsterdam the first week of June last year on a sea day sailing toward Anchorage, and believe me, the air temp. was NOT warm by any means. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves though! Brave hearts:o!

We've sailed HAL twice to Alaska, and always folks were swimming - even in the top deck pool which isn't covered.

We had a magical experience in the hot tub on the top deck in Juneau. Had spent the morning exploring the town, the took the tram up to the top of Mt.

Roberts and did several hours of hiking on the excellent trails. Since we had nothing else planned for that port, we went back to an almost empty ship, grabbed an adult beverage and headed to the hot tub. With magnificent views all around, an eagle literally soaring just yards above our heads, we had the best (and warmest!) seat in the house. It was spectacular!! Definitely take your suits and enjoy!

Assa, i think that you have way too much fun on your trips. i enjoyed reading about your amsterdam cruise. kb

• 1 year later...
Please keep in mind that by now the original poster has probably already taken the cruise.

Yes, that may be true. But I haven't taken mine yet! Am glad to read and comment on this thread instead of re-posting same.

Edited by TxSandMom

Is it warm enough to swim in the cruise ship pools while cruising in Alaska? Do any ships have covered or indoor pools? Thanks for your help!

In the solarium. You can use the hot tubs on the open pool deck though I think

• 3 months later...

This photo is not visible to me.

If your cruise sails to Glacier Bay, perhaps your ship will offer a certificate for swimming while sailing there. Here's what the folks who earned that on our cruise last summer looked like (the staff threw real glacier ice fished from the water into the pool -- but do look at how the ship's staff and the other passengers are dressed!:

2590099410101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

The covered pool always did brisk business and seemed to be well-heated, however. I'd make sure your ship has a covered pool in Alaska if that's your priority.