Dardanelles Time?

Can someone tell me approximately how long it takes to cruise the Dardanelles up to Istanbul?

Also, please note anything in particular that you were able to see that would be a not to miss thing and what side it was on if you remember.

Thanks

There are things on both sides, but I recall more things being on the port (left side). They go pretty slowly and take their time, it was most of the day. You can't really see anything from Troy but you can see the Galipoli memorial.

Nadine078_5.jpg.01665ca812820417d7f4b3291f1af605.jpg

As the previous poster said, the port side is best for the monuments- you can see the big Turkish one with inscriptions written in the hillside quite clearly. As you come into Istanbul, there is sometimes a bit of queuing, as ships are only allowed one way at a time through the straits. You can see Scutari barracks, where Florence Nightingale worked, on the starboard side. We were lucky enough to sail through Istanbul at night time- it was magical!

I love having something to look at as we sail, hope you enjoy your trip.

kate

Thanks for the information. We overnight in Istanbul so we arrive at 1:00 PM one day and depart at 2:00 PM the 2nd day so we will see a good bit of the sail through the Dardanelles. I have an Aqua Class cabin on the Penthouse deck so I am hoping we will have a great view from that high up. My husband is a history nut so he is researching all of the things that happened in the area.

Good question Donna. We plan to have room service breakfast on our port side balcony and watch for the sail-in. It looks very cool on Google Earth, so we were wondering how long it would take to sail up into Istanbul.

Good question Donna. We plan to have room service breakfast on our port side balcony and watch for the sail-in. It looks very cool on Google Earth, so we were wondering how long it would take to sail up into Istanbul.

We are on the Starboard side and I was thinking the same thing. Room Service lunch on the balcony sailing in and maybe a bottle of wine which I hope to bring onboard from Rome or one of the other ports while sailing out the next afternoon. :D

Can someone tell me approximately how long it takes to cruise the Dardanelles up to Istanbul?

Also, please note anything in particular that you were able to see that would be a not to miss thing and what side it was on if you remember.

Thanks

We sailed it on a miserable, rainy day but found it fascinating. There are monuments all along the port side, like below. I remember that it took a good portion of the day to transit - but that could have been compounded by the weather. I put a link to our photos below this picture.

2087986674_e89ba02c34.jpg?v=0

Our Dardanelle Pictures Start Here

We sailed it on a miserable, rainy day but found it fascinating. There are monuments all along the port side, like below. I remember that it took a good portion of the day to transit - but that could have been compounded by the weather. I put a link to our photos below this picture.

2087986674_e89ba02c34.jpg?v=0

Our Dardanelle Pictures Start Here

Thanks for the information and the photo link. :)

The Dardanelles are interesting although you may have to be up very early if you want to see the ship pass through from the beginning; it may even be still dark, it's a long traverse. Check with the purser the day before.

Istanbul is one of those magical cities--Venice, Sydney, New York, Oslo, etc.--that everyone should approach at least once from the water. Be sure to have a guidebook that will identify what is what on the skyline. I got shivers as the ship was docking and we heard the call to prayer. Enjoy your adventure!

We do not dock until 1pm. How early do you think they will enter the straits? I was planning on an early breakfast sitting out on the balcony... then on the way out... a late lunch.

Good idea about checking with the Purser.

The Dardanelles are interesting although you may have to be up very early if you want to see the ship pass through from the beginning; it may even be still dark, it's a long traverse. Check with the purser the day before.

Istanbul is one of those magical cities--Venice, Sydney, New York, Oslo, etc.--that everyone should approach at least once from the water. Be sure to have a guidebook that will identify what is what on the skyline. I got shivers as the ship was docking and we heard the call to prayer. Enjoy your adventure!

Thanks for the information and the tip about asking for information onboard. We are early risers with my favorite time on the ships are usually watching the sunrise on an almost empty upper deck with coffee in hand. I am currently collecting books for this cruise. I just got a new Kindle for downloading books for this trip. I will have to look for a guide book specifically on Istanbul to download.

Thanks for the information and the tip about asking for information onboard. We are early risers with my favorite time on the ships are usually watching the sunrise on an almost empty upper deck with coffee in hand. I am currently collecting books for this cruise. I just got a new Kindle for downloading books for this trip. I will have to look for a guide book specifically on Istanbul to download.

I can recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Istanbul-ebook/dp/B000MAHBZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1240366304&sr=1-1

Archived