Euro. rivers in September

ddean52

We are on Viking's European Grand Tour in September and i am just beginning to wonder what issues are connected to the river's depth in September? I have read some posts about poor river conditions and having to be bused up/down the rivers! We will be using the Danube and Rhine. The only web site I was able to located in regard to the river conditions was in German and my German is not what it once was! Any info. would be helpful.:)

Dean - I was on the Elbe last Sept and the level was very low. Was on the Rhine last month and it was high as we had trouble and hit (scrapped) the underside of one bridge. I would say that it will depend in part on rainfall this summer.

I have the same question as we will be sailing from Nuremberg to Luxombourg in mid September--from past years, what is the water level--any problems?

Thanks for your expertise!

Mom C

Sorry, folks,

I can´t give you any longterm forecast. River condition can change pretty fast depending on the weather. But usually September is no big problem unless we have a very rainy August. If we´re having a very dry August the Danube river can cause some problems with low water.

But right now no one can tell you anything about the river conditions in September. As I´ve posted before it may be that a river is on flood stage by the time you board your plane in the US and by the time you board the ship the river levels are back to normal.

steamboats

Archived