Malibu Rum Tour???

MDL1771

My sister loves Malibu Rum and really wants to do the Factory Tour. I saw someone on this web site that it is not really worth the time and money.

Has anyone done this tour? We don't plan to do this with a tour group. We were just going to take a taxi to the Factory from the port when we dock.

Is it really worth it??

We haven't been there (we chose to do other things in Barboados) but we did spend a lot of time researching each port, and reading dozens (hundreds!) of threads here about what to do and where to go. Seems the Malibu Rum factory is way out in the boonies, and not entirely worth the time and money. There is a visitor's center closer... we had totally planned to go there, but it just didn't happen for us this time.

I suggest you run a search for this forum; I'm sure you'll get lots of results.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to the Malibu Rum tour per se but, if what I saw was any indication, it is only a few miles from the pier area. We went on the Mount Gay Rum tour and enjoyed that quite a bit. Indeed, it served to make me a Mount Gay Rum afficiando. The Mount Gay factory is about a mile and a half from the pier area. The weird thing is that you can see the ships from the small beach across the highway but actually walking there is another matter. Unfortunately the container pier lies between you and the ships forcing you to take a more circuituous route back to your cruise ship.

I believe the Malibu factory and "party" area was just up the same small beach, perhaps another mile away if I am any judge of distance. It lies right along the main highway. Because of the heat and inconsistent sidewalks, I wouldn't recommend the walk to most people but it is doable.

We haven't been there (we chose to do other things in Barbados)

but we did spend a lot of time researching each port, and reading dozens (hundreds!) of threads here about what to do and where to go.

Seems the Malibu Rum factory is way out in the boonies, and not entirely worth the time and money.

There is a visitor's center closer... we had totally planned to go there, but it just didn't happen for us this time.

No no no...you're talking about the Mount Gay distillery that's way out in the sticks.

And yes they/Mt.Gay have a visitor center nearby for cruisers.

The Malibu refinery is visible from the top deck of your ship!

Like so...

NorthwardView-472.jpg

I can't speak to the Malibu Rum tour per se but, if what I saw was any indication, it is only a few miles from the pier area.

We went on the Mount Gay Rum tour and enjoyed that quite a bit. Indeed, it served to make me a Mount Gay Rum afficiando.

The Mount Gay VISITOR CENTER is about a mile and a half from the pier area. ===> If that!

The weird thing is that you can see the ships from the small beach across the highway but actually walking there is another matter.

Unfortunately the container pier lies between you and the ships forcing you to take a more circuitous route back to your cruise ship.

I believe the Malibu factory and "party" area was just up the same small beach,

perhaps another mile away if I am any judge of distance.

It lies right along the main highway.

Because of the heat and inconsistent sidewalks, I wouldn't recommend the walk to most people

but it is doable.

Zada is 100% correct...even his distances.

You sure you don't live here, man?

And this is the beach he mentioned

Brandons-06.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We were there is Feb. We took a public bus to do the Malibu Rum tour. The bus costs 50 cents per person. The tour was only 15 dollars per person and included the tour or the plant, and tastings of many of the different kinds of rum they make. You also get to hang out on their beach, which is really, really nice......free chairs and unbrellas, which on this island is a premium!!!.....and a free full sized alcoholic drink. Plus the drinks were very reasonably priced. We found it to be well worth the money spent.

We could see the cruise ship from the beach, so we decided to just walk back to the ship....it was probably a 15-20 minute walk.

If you love Malibu Rum like I do, I'd recommend the tour!

We just went to the Malibu factory - we were supposed to take an afternoon ship-sponsored tour there but we didn't make it due to swine flu craziness (I was on the NON-infected ship the authorities didn't want to let dock). In the end, we went on our own via a cab. $10 each way for two people, $15 per person entry. We got a private tour of the distillery - which, to be honest, is quite informative but you don't see much that is exciting - then you get 3 samples of pure rum aged progressively older, and a sample of Malibu coconut rum. Then you get a drink ticket for a full sized drink made with Malibu and your choice of juice. The beach is the big draw here. We went to a nicer beach earlier in the day but this one was still wonderful and the umbrellas and chairs were a nice touch. Lots of people wanting to rent jetskis here, I succumbed and rented one for $20 for 15 minutes - and was glad I did, I had a blast. So I highly recommend Malibu, but only for an afternoon jaunt after you've been snorkeling with the sea turtles or enjoying another beach like Accra.

Archived