transfers london airport to southampton

beyoung

• 2 weeks later...

The deathly silence is probably because no-one in the UK bothers with private transfers London-Southampton. From Heathrow its a 90 minute coach trip by National Express, from central London a 60 minute train journey (3 trains per hour) from Waterloo station, from Gatwick airport a 2 hour train journey (I think they're hourly). Rail or coach station in Southampton to all cruise terminals £5 to £10 max.

Regards

John Bull

Hi,

When you say London do you mean Heathrow? How many passengers? We live in North London and we hired a car each way for 4 passengers and baggage for 2 weeks. We couldn't fit into our own car.

As JB suggested, coach transfer from a major air terminal may be the way to go.

JohnBull: you are always so helpful with CC questions. My husband and I are researching ways to get from Heathrow Airport to the Southampton Docks. National Express does seem the best and least expensive but on their website they seem to have a limit on luggage allowance, plus then you have to get a taxi from the coach/bus station to the dock. The other alternative - bus to Woking, train to Sthampton and then a taxi from the train Station to the dock seems far too tiring for two seniors after an 11 hour flight! The private transfers I found all seem to charge between 150 - 180 GBP plus tip - unless you know of one more reasonable?

Wouldn't you know it - right after I sent the above question, and further searching, I found two car companies recommended by other CC'rs. This morning I get two prompt replies to my email enquires regarding pick-up and drop-off Heathrow Airport to/from Southampton Docks. Both were similar in price and, I thought, reasonable for two people with luggage. Obviously, it was still far more than the National Express bus and taxi, but for seniors or exhausted folks after travelling for more than 12 hours - quite reasonable.

Crusie Critic forums are the best!

Wouldn't you know it - right after I sent the above question, and further searching, I found two car companies recommended by other CC'rs. This morning I get two prompt replies to my email enquires regarding pick-up and drop-off Heathrow Airport to/from Southampton Docks. Both were similar in price and, I thought, reasonable for two people with luggage. Obviously, it was still far more than the National Express bus and taxi, but for seniors or exhausted folks after travelling for more than 12 hours - quite reasonable.

Crusie Critic forums are the best!

We're looking for transportation from Heathrow to Southhampton also. Could you give me the names of the 2 more reasonable car companies you found.

Thanks!

Yes, they are smithsforairports dot com and westquaycars dot com They were both very prompt at replying to my emails. I will certainly use one of them for our next cruise of out Southampton.

We used Woodford Chauffers http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/ for transportation both from Southampton to our rental property in downtown London and then from London to Heathrow. There were four of us with a lot of luggage and they sent an appropriate sized van. The driver was waiting for us when we got off the ship early and showed up promptly in London to take us to the airport.

Hi Penzance,

West Quay Cars is well-known & reputable in Southampton, Smiths for Airports is Portsmouth-based, sorry I don't know them.

A minicab to Heathrow from Southampton is usually about £70 to £80 but but but..........that's the easy way, they collect you, drop you at the airport, if the flight goes late its only you that's left hanging around. A lot of minicab co's won't take one-way bookings FROM the airport because they can be fouled-up by late flights arrivals. Don't know what you've been quoted but I suspect it'll be a chunk more because of collecting FROM the airport and West Quay certainly have excellent cars.

Minibuses. If any groups need a minibus I can suggest two -

www.panachetravel.co.uk I know the company, small & friendly, immaculate vehicles . Or

www.airlynx.co.uk are also well-established locally, larger fleet, modern vehicles.

Regards, John Bull

Thank you JB. When the time comes, I will see if there are other Cruisers heading to/from Southampton to/from LHR, if so, it would be easy peasy to share a minibus. Incidentally, on another forum you recommend the Star Hotel to stay prior to a cruise departure. Have you actually stayed there yourself? The reason I ask is because I could not find other recommendations, on other sites, for this hotel. All we are seeking is a clean, decent hotel/inn, late arrival, just to sleep, bathe and leave the following morning. Would The Star suit our needs?

I will see if there are other Cruisers heading to/from Southampton to/from LHR, if so, it would be easy peasy to share a minibus.
Don't forget to look on the roll call thread for your cruise - not least because it's the only place on CC that you're allowed to look for other people to share transport!

Don't forget to look on the roll call thread for your cruise - not least because it's the only place on CC that you're allowed to look for other people to share transport!

agreed. We managed to get 49 people together for a full size bus from Rome to Civitavecchia on our roll call!

Its worth noting that in the UK it is illegal for chartered/private transport providers to share buses/cars, they risk losing their licence if they do.

There is of course an easy work around but it means that one person only from the group has to book and to provide the guarantee for the bus and take responsibility in collecting the money from all those within the group, hoping nobody doesn't drop out at the last moment.

Hi Penzance,

Because I live locally, I don't stay in local hotels, and that includes the Star. I dislike the Holiday Inn/Premier Inn/Travelodge/Novotel clones that my boss books me into - simply because they're clones. They are of a known standard & do the job. But on holiday I go for more individual (not neccessarily more expensive) hotels - art deco in Miami, Ottoman house in Istanbul, parador in Spain, etc. Not as "easy" or as guaranteed as the chain hotels, but very much part of being abroad. Hence I tend to think of coaching inns in the UK, they're a part of Britain. (So are the former manor houses of the gentry such as Lainston House, but they tend to be expensive.) I've stayed at coaching inns elsewhere in the UK - so much more charm & individuality that I overlook odd-shaped rooms, winding corridors, antiquated or absent lifts, bathrooms that tend to be huge or tiny, etc.

I've checked out reviews of the Star on a couple of websites - the usual mix. Apart from its excellent location, the hotel's age is responsible for most of the comments - both the good and the bad! Check them out for yourself & decide what you prefer, a bit of old England or a bland clone that's to a guaranteed standard. /www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reviews/93437_the-star-hotel-southampton.aspx

Regards, John Bull

I agree with you 100%. When visiting family/friends in England we always try to stay at an Inn or a Country pub as we so enjoy meeting the locals at the bar or for an evening meal. I've checked out many wonderful Manor houses too, but as you say, they are far more expensive. When the time comes, I will certainly try for The Star prior to our cruise next year. Thanks for the information JB.

Try Woodford Chauffeur Cars (www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk or cherylfinch4@aol.co.uk). We have used them over the years and they are reasonable, reliable, and dependable. We last used their services on April 25th. They go to/from all the airports to Dover, Harwich, and Southampton and to/from central London hotels as well. They are also very flexible and can handle individuals and groups. They are owned by a husband and wife team (Bryan and Cheryl Finch) and I can't say enough good things about them.

Hi Penzance,

Because I live locally, I don't stay in local hotels, and that includes the Star. I dislike the Holiday Inn/Premier Inn/Travelodge/Novotel clones that my boss books me into - simply because they're clones. They are of a known standard & do the job. But on holiday I go for more individual (not neccessarily more expensive) hotels - art deco in Miami, Ottoman house in Istanbul, parador in Spain, etc. Not as "easy" or as guaranteed as the chain hotels, but very much part of being abroad. Hence I tend to think of coaching inns in the UK, they're a part of Britain. (So are the former manor houses of the gentry such as Lainston House, but they tend to be expensive.) I've stayed at coaching inns elsewhere in the UK - so much more charm & individuality that I overlook odd-shaped rooms, winding corridors, antiquated or absent lifts, bathrooms that tend to be huge or tiny, etc.

I've checked out reviews of the Star on a couple of websites - the usual mix. Apart from its excellent location, the hotel's age is responsible for most of the comments - both the good and the bad! Check them out for yourself & decide what you prefer, a bit of old England or a bland clone that's to a guaranteed standard. /www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reviews/93437_the-star-hotel-southampton.aspx

Regards, John Bull

Hi John, you seem to be the right person to ask....my husband & I are going round & round on this. We want to take the bus from Heathrow to Southampton. How strict is the bus company regarding the 20kg (about 44 lbs as I understand it) weight limit for luggage? We can check 50lbs

per suitcase on our international flight. He insists I limit my bag to 44lbs. Do they actually weigh the bags before you board. Do you think the extra 5 or 6lbs will keep me off the bus? There's no way I'll hold you to the answer on this but would really like to know what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a quote from Smiths for Airports for 77 GBP for 2 people. We have a flight that arrives from the USA at noon and will be REALLY tired. I don't want to need to make decisions about where to go and make connections. I hope to clear customs, see the driver and wake up in Southampton at our hotel.

scmexico: Not sure when you leave on your cruise, but I will be very interested to hear of your experience with Smith's Taxi. They also quoted me 77 pounds (plus tip) to collect from Heathrow to Southampton, and 72 pounds (plus tip) for the reverse trip. After a very long tiring flight (especially for Seniors) for two people with luggage, it will be well worth it, just as long as the pick-up goes smoothly and both the car and journey are comfortable.

Our cruise leaves Sept 5. I will post from the ship and fill you in on the details. I agree that 2 old folks after a very long trip with little or no sleep do not need to try and find buses, stations or taxis.

Thank you - for the chuckle too. We have been called a lot of things but "2 old folks" isn't one of them. We love it :-) We look forward to reading about your experience with the flight and the taxi service in September. One of the things that also put us off the National Express bus was the restricted luggage allowance - although we're not sure how strict they are about this. John Bull - can you enlighten us?

Hi BridgeMates, sorry not to reply, been busy busy busy & no chance to get back to this forum. If this reply isnt too late, 44lbs or 50 lbs is no big deal, I've never seen a driver refuse or check-weigh. .Regards, John Bull

I don't know how accurate this is, but the taxi driver from the ship to Southampton Central said that for 4 people, he could compete with the train on price to London. It's something to consider.

On price maybe, on speed, not a chance. The Southampton-Waterloo train hits speeds of 160 kmph

Archived