Help please - another insurance question

FunForUs

I just booked a cruise that is more than a year off and can't decide whether I should get the insurance now or wait just in case I need to cancel the cruise for some reason.

When do you buy your trip insurance? For example, right after you book your cruise or just before final payment. I am more interested in trip insurance through an independent insurance company, not the cruise line insurance.

Any input is most welcome. Thanks

You have two options to consider.

There are many policies that if you purchase the insurance within two weeks (this could vary) of your booking you get two key benefits; one is coverage of pre-existing conditions and the other coverage in the event the cruise line goes bankrupt. If these two are important to you and/or applicable to you and the insurance provider you are looking at provides this coverage then you may want to purchase your insurance now.

Otherwise, for most insurance companies you can purchase the policy anytime prior to the start of the cruise.

The insurance company we use will allow us to move the policy from one cruise to another should we cancel the cruise. But, it would not refund the money associated with the premium should we cancel the cruise and not rebook one.

Again, read the fine print as the devil is in the details.

Keith

You usually need to purchase the insurance within a time frame of booking---you just can't "wait until you decide to cancel"!! That's not how insurance works!

I am sorry but this is not correct. For most policies that you purchase on your own you can do so anytime before the cruse but you do not get the coverage for the items I mentioned above.

Again, the key is to get all the facts on the policies that one is considering.

For those that we purchase, if we are not concerned about coverage for a pre-existing condition or a cruise lines bankruptcy then we have been able to obtain them anytime prior to the start of the trip.

Keith

I just booked a cruise that is more than a year off and can't decide whether I should get the insurance now or wait just in case I need to cancel the cruise for some reason.

When do you buy your trip insurance? For example, right after you book your cruise or just before final payment. I am more interested in trip insurance through an independent insurance company, not the cruise line insurance.

Any input is most welcome. Thanks

All depends on what you are buying the insur for. Do you need medical coverage either in addition to or isnstead of your personal incurance because it doesn't cover out of the country? Does anyone that is cruising or any close relative at left at home have a preexisting condition that might cause you to cancel or interupt your cruise? Do you want to be covered in case you need to be emergency evacuated? And to where?

Do some research asap if you have special needs.

Archived