I booked my first solo cruise.

rmmm

I posted a few weeks ago that I hadn't been on a cruise since my mom passed away in 2005. I asked for opinions about solo cruising and many people were nice enough to respond. I just booked my first solo cruise. I am taking the Inside Passage Cruise (which was my first cruise with HAL in 1998). I wanted to thank everyone who responded.Kryos, my mother's name was Rita and I took your post as a sign that I should go!

Have a wonderful time! I've been to Alaska and it was my first solo trip. I had a blast. I've just booked my 2nd solo cruise for Aug/2009. I'm going to New England/Canada and can't wait.

It's always a little bit scary until you get on the ship and then it's fine. I like being alone and I go places all the time alone at home.

I just don't like to eat alone at a resturant so that is the only thing that I don't like about going on a cruise alone. I don't feel comfortable getting dressed up and walking into the dinning room alone. Most of the time I just eat somewhere else.

Joanne

I posted a few weeks ago that I hadn't been on a cruise since my mom passed away in 2005. I asked for opinions about solo cruising and many people were nice enough to respond. I just booked my first solo cruise. I am taking the Inside Passage Cruise (which was my first cruise with HAL in 1998). I wanted to thank everyone who responded.Kryos, my mother's name was Rita and I took your post as a sign that I should go!

Good for you Rmmm: You are sure to make some life long friends as I have. Be sure to be part of your Roll Call and make friends before you depart. Have a great cruise. Gail:)

I'm glad you felt support from the Cruise Critic community. Thank you for coming back and saying so.

And you made an excellent choice for a solo cruise---Alaska is majestic. Have a wonderful time.

Congratulations! And, believe me ... you're gonna have the greatest time. There's nothing like cruising solo. In fact, these days I wouldn't do it any other way. It's nice sometimes to have friends onboard the ship to hang around with, but I find that if you don't ... you quickly make some. And, then ... there's nothing like having your own cabin to come back to when you want some quiet time. I absolutely love it and you will too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

rmmm,

I just got back from my first solo cruise, and I hope that you love every minute of it just as much as I did!

I will be posting a review on here as well as on the solo board, but for now I can tell you that I loved having my own room to go to when I wanted quiet time. I was a little uncertain how I would feel in the diningroom. I asked to be put at a large table at traditional late dining, and had just the most wonderful tablemates! Three couples and me, but I never felt out of place; we were often the last table leaving the diningroom because we were enjoying each other's company so much.

If it wasn't for the single supplement, I would choose to sail solo all the time; as it is, I still sail with friends or family as roommates so that I can sail more frequently.

Have a wonderful cruise!

rmmm...

I've done all my cruises solo and absolutely love it. I feel slightly guilty about being so self-indulgent, but it is the greatest feeling to make all your own decisions about when and what you want to do. Sign up for a large table -- or even ask for a large table every night if you have open eating -- you'll meet great people in a jiffy -- most of whom will be jealous of you! :)

You'll have a great time -- and you'll smile and laugh, knowing that your Mom is hovering over your shoulder, beaming ear to ear that you're out there doing it! :D

Congratulations rmmm! I know I was a little nervous last summer when I finally made the decision to go solo last August in Alaska too, but I've never looked back! I had a great time and others are correct....you will meet other people who are jealous that you're Solo!! I met many who thought that. :D

I too would suggest that you choose a larger table as I did. That way you don't have to eat "all by yourself". I also hate eating alone in a restaurant, etc, but found that a larger table worked well. I ended up making friends with a group of sisters/friends and joined them a couple of times which was fun!

ENJOY and have fun....I KNOW you will!! :)

and have done it many times on HAL. I always make friends and have people to tour and dine with.

One piece of advice: when packing, think about the fact that you don't have a roommate. Don't pack a dress you cannot zip up by yourself!!!

Made that mistake a couple of times.....:D

To OP and all respondents:

Have been considering cruising solo ( and also trying inside cabin) so I can go on more cruises. :)

Living near Port Everglades means I have many more options than most of you, yet I have not taken advantage of this. :(

We can get some VERY good last minute discounts, which might mean the Single Supplement might be affordable. :rolleyes:

That would be all the excuse I need.

You all make it sound like there is a certain freedom correlated to sailing solo.

The best for me might be not having to find a cabin mate/cruise buddy at the last minute. :)

I appreciate the motivation here to get my asterisk in gear ! :cool:

Archived