Formal nights?

Mparis184

This will be our first NCL cruise. Do they have formal nights? We will be on a 13 day European Cruise on the Jade.

If they do have formal nights will there be two or three of them?

Thanks,

Marion

This will be our first NCL cruise. Do they have formal nights? We will be on a 13 day European Cruise on the Jade.

If they do have formal nights will there be two or three of them?

Thanks,

Marion

NCL does not have a formal night. They have what is called a dressup or not night. We were on the Spirit last month and I saw very few really dressy clothes on that night. I did notice that many of the ladies wore nicer outfits, but as far as "putting on the Ritz" clothing, I saw none. They say you can dress up as much as you would like. Me, I wore a nice polo shirt & kaki pants. I never felt out of place the whole time. The European cruise may be a little different, but I am not sure about dress code over there.

Gene

NCL does not have any formal nights anymore. They have stopped calling them optional formal nights too. They are dress up or not nights.

One per week, only around a quarter of the passengers participate on dress up or not nights. NCL has embraced resort casual, its welcomed at every dining room and restaurant every night.

Having said that, if you wish to dress up on any or all of the nights you are free to do so. Read the Freestyle Daily to determine which night is dress up or not night.

For that length of a cruise, you may have two "dress up or not" nights. When we were on the NCL Jewel in October on a New England cruise, we did see some people pretty dressed up on those nights, and when they were going to the various specialty (for fee) restaurants. I suspect it depends on the itinerary whether people really decide to dress up or not -- the Caribean and south are pretty laid back and casual.

You certainly don't need formal wear, but you might want a nice cocktail dress or clothes that you can accessorize a bit more fancy for those nights, if you like that sort of thing.

Otherwise resort wear --khakis, shirts with collars, nice slacks, skirts, all are fine. We didn't dress up; husband didn't even bring a suit coat. But we did wear a bit more dressy clothes than just "casual".

There are various opinions, but I am thinking you will see less than 40% in dress up (suit and tie), and maybe less than a quarter of those in full formal. We just did 12 day on Jade in Med and did not even bring a sport coat.

Since you are new to NCL - check out notes below.

we were on a 12 days cruise and they had 2 'optional formal night.' some took this opportunity to get dressed to the nines in tuxes and such, they went to Cagneys or the french bistro for dinner.

Others stayed casual...it is all about what you make it :-D

If you are flying...I would opt out of formal because that is just more room in your luggage and with airlines charging for check baggage, its not worth imo.

have a great time!

I've noticed the cruise lines that have formal nights have fewer dressing up, more sport coats fewer tuxes. Also on RCI Rome to Rome Med cruise half were in resort casual on formal nights. I'll never bother with a tux again. I don't recall EVER seeing a suit or tux on a NCL cruise.

I've noticed the cruise lines that have formal nights have fewer dressing up, more sport coats fewer tuxes. Also on RCI Rome to Rome Med cruise half were in resort casual on formal nights. I'll never bother with a tux again. I don't recall EVER seeing a suit or tux on a NCL cruise.

believe it or not we saw a few tuxes and full length gowns on our last NCL Dawn sailng...granted it was a few years ago.

I was surprised also....I am used to that on Carnival or RCL.

I didn't know they didn't call it 'optional formal night' anymore :-P

On our NCL cruises in the Med , I don't remember there being ANY dress up or not night. If there were any, and none of us realised it, well all I can say is that the people dressed the same every day.

Wow I always take mine, each time I wore my 'tux' on a sress up or not i didn't feel out of place. I would probably have said either a quarter or a third dressed up, these were for Baltic and Med cruises though.

I am now in a mixed mind whether to pack mine or not, and actually I quite like the 'formal night' idea. If i had to scrimp on other packing though cos of flights ... I have to admit, this would probably be one of the first things to go.

I am hoping that folks going to Alaska don't pack formal wear. Because we go in June, I have to pack winter, spring, summer and fall clothes for 4 people to be prepared. There is just no way that I am packing really dressy attire. I certainly won't be able to get a suit in the suitcase for my DH. This will be the 1st time after 9 cruises that I won't be packing fancy clothes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we won't feel out of place!

On our NCL cruises in the Med , I don't remember there being ANY dress up or not night. If there were any, and none of us realised it, well all I can say is that the people dressed the same every day.

On our cruise on the Pearl, there was an elderly couple. He had a very nice suit on and she was dressed to the 9's.They looked very nice and it made me smile. That was the only dressing up I saw the whole time lol

I am hoping that folks going to Alaska don't pack formal wear. Because we go in June, I have to pack winter, spring, summer and fall clothes for 4 people to be prepared. There is just no way that I am packing really dressy attire. I certainly won't be able to get a suit in the suitcase for my DH. This will be the 1st time after 9 cruises that I won't be packing fancy clothes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we won't feel out of place!

I never felt out of place on the Pearl. Yes, there were women that had nice slacks and blouses on. Nothing where I felt out of place wearing my shorts and tops around.

You'll fit right in dressing "resort casual." They'll always be some people dressing up, but they are in an ever-shrinking minority.

I cruised on Celebrity in Alaska. It was a real pain to dress up after a day exploring Alaska's beauty.

Archived