Port of call - Haines Alaska

dizzy1949

Hi Folks,

On our Alaskan adventure in 6 weeks and we haven't planned anything for Haines yet. We have tours planned for the other stops but just don't know what to do in Haines. Some nice choices-Chilkoot Lake cruise, Eagle preserve wildlife river adventure, Haines highlights tour. Anyone got any preferences or other ideas? We're not into hiking or anything too strenuous(smile).:rolleyes:

Also, how strict is the dress code on the Alaskan cruises? I'm concerned about the amount of clothing that we have to bring. We are doing 4 days land prior to the cruise so we'll need to bring extra, especially because there are no laundry facilities at the resort.:mad:

Thanks for your help. Sue

There isn't much to do in Haines. We took a boat to Skagway. People did praise the eagle adventure. What ship are you going on? The Vista ships do not have a do-it-yourself laundry. We were on the Statendam and had enough clothes from our land tour to Denali to do a batch of laundry. We had three suitcases and sent one that contained our dressier clothes ahead to the ship. (this was an option when we landed in Fairbanks.)They are not strict about the dresscode but you do need dressy clothes for formal nights and nice clothes for dinner.

Do yourself a favor and have your laundry done on board. You can shove lots of pieces into the canvas bag and it comes back so great....undies carefully layered between tissue paper and in a little basket. We did another load at the end so we did not have a lot of dirty clothes to bring home. Very reasonable.

Dress code is casual during the day. Formal nights, at least coat and tie for men, dressy for women. Many full tuxes and gowns....which I like. Or you can do the Lido or room service on formal nights and wear casual clothing. Bring layers...it is very chilly when doing glacier viewing.

Enjoy your cruise...I am jealous.

I don't know if it is still offered, but when we went there several years ago we went to the salmon canning museum and it was fascinating. The owner, who was very enthusiastic, demonstrated many of the machines and told stories.

When we were in Haines last September we just wondered around the town as it is very walkable. We visited several of the small museums and the local artists. There are several totem poles scattered around town to see, also. We had lunch at a local diner - very good and reasonable, for Alaska.

The day we were there, a strong wind came up that delayed our departure as the high speed ferry coming back from Skagway was not back yet since the waves were high in the passage way up to there. Folks on that ferry we a little green when they got back on the ship.

As someone up stream said this is not a port with a lot of the Tee shirt and jewelry stores. It is closer to an authentic Alaskan experience.

Pipedreams, once again we're in your debt, this time for the magnificent photos, each one worth more than a thousand words. So much for "There's nothing to do in Haines"! Nothing but to bask in the grandeur of God's creation. . . .

Pipedreams, once again we're in your debt, this time for the magnificent photos, each one worth more than a thousand words. So much for "There's nothing to do in Haines"! Nothing but to bask in the grandeur of God's creation. . . .

I can't take credit (my wife took these photos:o)

Always amazes me....how some people go thru all the trouble of going to Alaska,then never see anything other than t-shirt shops:confused:

Gorgeous photos, what beauty. When did you go to Haines? We are thinking of doing a 14 day HAL cruise next May. We have been to Alaska 3 times but never to Haines, seeing your photos makes me want to go even more! Any info on the eagle preserve? Thanks, Marian

GOSH, Pipedreams,

Those are BEAUTIFUL. We've been to Haines many times and never to those falls....................on July 4th one year we (DH, of course), even drove our very large motorhome up a windy road, following all the cars exiting the town. At the end of the road, we had a blast watching people floating/racing their "thrown together, makeshift" floating vessels downstream............WHAT FUN....................followed by a parade in town, etc.:p

I love this little "UNtouristy" town.

Gorgeous photos, what beauty. When did you go to Haines? We are thinking of doing a 14 day HAL cruise next May. We have been to Alaska 3 times but never to Haines, seeing your photos makes me want to go even more! Any info on the eagle preserve? Thanks, Marian

Hi Marian-We went last summer June 13-27, as far as the eagle preserve we drove thru it for about 16 miles. We saw many eagles in trees as we drove thru. They say fall is when you see thousands?

There's also a guy that has animals at his house we wanted to see, I'm sure somebody will get back on this.

Have fun

Thanks Kayef

I'm looking forward to Haines, to eating at the local places and exploring the area and going to the photographer guy's zoo. I also love the idea that there aren't the same stores there that you find on the docks everywhere else. Plus, so many people seem to be heading to Skagway it sounds like it won't be crowded the way other ports are when ships are in town.

We were on the Volendam last August and really enjoyed the Wildlife excursion offered by the ship. We saw 6 Grizzly (including a mother with 2 cubs)! and they were close! We also enjoyed the stroll through the trails in a state park nearby Haines.

If you decide on this excursion, make sure you choose the evening tour when there is a greater chance of sighting wildlife. Those who took the afternoon tour, only saw eagles.

Haines itself is a cute little town, as stated by other posters, there is little in the way of tacky T-shirt shops and I don't think I saw a single jewellry store.

It was more of an easy hike, actually, than a stroll - it didn't last too long - maybe a half hour or so, but you did have to walk carefully as it is a wooded and in some areas marshy (boardwalks) area.

I know several people on the tour did have some difficulty with the terrain.

I did know that the tour was available off the ship, however we were glad we had taken the ship sponsored tour because we got back just before it was time to leave and I think they held the ship up a bit for us.

We rented a car and drove the Haines Hwy. as far as Million Day Falls. We saw eagles driving thru the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. We had lunch at Roadhouse 33. Very good burgers and pie!

We drove out to Chilkat State Park (on Mud Bay Road) south of town and to Chilkat Lake (Lutak (sp.) Road) north of town. We saw more eagles and ravens on these drives. Someone had just seen a bear at the bridge going to Chilkat Lake but we were too late to see it.

The "zoo" someone mentioned is Steve Kroschel's Wildlife Preserve off the Haines Hwy. on Mosquito Lake Road.

We toured the area around Ft. Seward but didn't have time for the "downtown" area. We really like Haines and want to visit again one day. Lots to do there in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your time there!

We rented a car and drove the Haines Hwy. as far as Million Day Falls. We saw eagles driving thru the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. We had lunch at Roadhouse 33. Very good burgers and pie!

We drove out to Chilkat State Park (on Mud Bay Road) south of town and to Chilkat Lake (Lutak (sp.) Road) north of town. We saw more eagles and ravens on these drives. Someone had just seen a bear at the bridge going to Chilkat Lake but we were too late to see it.

The "zoo" someone mentioned is Steve Kroschel's Wildlife Preserve off the Haines Hwy. on Mosquito Lake Road.

We toured the area around Ft. Seward but didn't have time for the "downtown" area. We really like Haines and want to visit again one day. Lots to do there in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your time there!

I must have been behind you. We did the exact same thing. I got my "Falls" mixed up and called them "Dunns" which I've never even been to:confused:.

I had a big juicy hamburger and pie at the restaurant you mentioned. The wildlife preserve was closed by the time we got back.

• Administrators
Hi Folks,

On our Alaskan adventure in 6 weeks and we haven't planned anything for Haines yet. We have tours planned for the other stops but just don't know what to do in Haines. Some nice choices-Chilkoot Lake cruise, Eagle preserve wildlife river adventure, Haines highlights tour. Anyone got any preferences or other ideas? We're not into hiking or anything too strenuous(smile).:rolleyes:

Also, how strict is the dress code on the Alaskan cruises? I'm concerned about the amount of clothing that we have to bring. We are doing 4 days land prior to the cruise so we'll need to bring extra, especially because there are no laundry facilities at the resort.:mad:

Thanks for your help. Sue

Haines is absolutely wonderful. It's authentic Alaska, with not a diamond shop in sight! What we did will repeat a few things on this thread, but hopefully add a bit with some links and such.

We rented a car and drove the Haines Highway as far as Million Dollar Falls -- here's a link to a great guide for that drive -- http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/haines_highway.html. Then we took a wildlife tour that visited Steve Kroschel's place on Mosquito Lake Road, which was an amazing highlight of our trip. We saw all kinds of animals and got to pet and/or feed many of them. http://www.klondiketours.com/alaskanwildlifeexperience.html

In my signature there is a link to my excursion review, and to my photo album. I hope some of my photos do justice to Haines. We loved this small town and hope to return one day.

Archived