City/beach tour in Mazatlan

Quinn

We have a city tour booked with Mazatlan Frank next week. We will be gone for a couple of weeks so it might be a bit before I can post a review -- but I will let you know.

I have read many positive reviews on the board about his service and tours -- so I decided to go for it and book a tour through him.

I have never seen a bad review of him either so we booked the city tour, massage, Senor Frogs, shopping and beach. Sounds like it covers everything. SimpleeB please do let us know what you think when you return. Have a great trip. Are you taking a cruise or just staying in Maz?

We are on the 14 day Holland American cruise that leaves tomorrow out of San Diego. We only have one day in Mazatlan and have never been there before so our plan is to spend the morning touring with Mazatlan Frank and then spend a couple hours in the afternoon on our own at Stone Island.

I will definitely let you know how it goes. This is the first time I have booked an excursion outside of the cruiseline -- but with all the reviews about Frank I felt comfortable doing so.

I will check back in a couple of weeks...

• 3 weeks later...

I am guessing you probably figured that we didn't end up going to Mazatlan due to the Swine flu outbreak -- but I wanted to post just incase. If we end up returning again soon (next year) -- we will book with Frank again and I will post a review then.

It was an interesting 10 days with the whole outbreak and everything. We at least got to go to PV and then we headed back to Southern California to port there.

Have fun on your trip!

We were in Mazatlan on April 22 and had booked with Mazatlan Frank about two months before the cruise. His tour was very good and I would not hesitate at all to recommend Mazatlan Frank. He took us to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. The lunch was really really good -- we had the shrimp platter, plenty of food for two people and the shrimp wrapped in bacon was to die for. We had a great day in Mazatlan.

You will love Frank's tour. He first takes you to a lookout point high above Mazatlan where the view is wonderful and there is a little shopping area. Then to the Cathedral and food market which was so interesting. From there you go see the cliff divers, then to "old mazatlan" where you see some residential, a pretty kind of park area, and get to go to an aritist's home that he knows for some shopping. From there he takes you to a really nice residential area, then to Tony's on the Beach for lunch, and then you go on a drive through the new marina where they are building many new first class hotels. It was a great overview of Mazatlan, Frank is an excellent tour guide.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything here is true, Frank's tours gives you value for your money... I did a city tour with him for the first time a few years back, and for the forty bucks, we saw ALOT. We were out all day, and nothing was left out, he is a very nice person, funny, and very knowledgable about Mazatlan.

He does have associates he works with, but I was lucky to have him as our tour guide.

I would recommend you take his tour, you won't go wrong!

We took the city/beach tour with Frank last Nov. and had a great day. He personalizes the tour to be what you want and we had others in our van who had massages and did the zip lining. Everything worked out, with everyone getting back together and having lunch at Tony's on the Beach. One tip about Tony's or anywhere you might eat in Mexico: You get a much better exchange rate if you use your credit card rather than American cash. Our bill was 310 pesos. Most people used the 10 to 1 conversion rate and I used my credit card. When the CC bill came, we owed $24 rather than $31. The actual conversion that month was more like 14 to 1. Same goes for shopping. If the shop will take a CC, I'd use it.

We took the city/beach tour with Frank last Nov. and had a great day. He personalizes the tour to be what you want and we had others in our van who had massages and did the zip lining. Everything worked out, with everyone getting back together and having lunch at Tony's on the Beach. One tip about Tony's or anywhere you might eat in Mexico: You get a much better exchange rate if you use your credit card rather than American cash. Our bill was 310 pesos. Most people used the 10 to 1 conversion rate and I used my credit card. When the CC bill came, we owed $24 rather than $31. The actual conversion that month was more like 14 to 1. Same goes for shopping. If the shop will take a CC, I'd use it.

Was it the city/stone island tour you took? If so were their chairs and umbrella's at the beach? Was the stone island surf good enough for teens who want to play in the ocean? We are going the first week of August and trying to decide on city/stone island or city/deer island tours with mazatlan frank. Did you get hit up a lot with sales people.

We didn't go to Stone Island, so can't comment on the beach there. Our tour took us to a local beach that was close to Tony's (where we had lunch). We were happy with Frank and the tour and would imagine going to Stone Island would be even better.

I did Mazatlan Frank's tour last year when I went on a cruise with my mom. We had a wonderful time and, as the others have said, it should not be missed. What a great introduction to Mazatlan! I am returning next year with DH and will book Frank once again for the city and beach tour so he can also experience this tour. This is the only port where we will do a "repeat tour". I booked Frank about 4 months out that time and will probably book 6 months out for the next one. Here are my pictures of that day.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/562311829vTFOQg?start=96

We took the City & Beach tour with Frank in April and it was excellent value. We loved the "old Mazatlan" part of the tour, and lunch at Tony's on the Beach was excellent. The beach was pretty much deserted, we spent some time there after eating lunch on the patio. Frank is a very nice man.

Archived