A bit OT, cameras

RENMama

I just broke my third (or was it fourth) dig cam in 6 years. The last fatality was a Canon SX100 IS that got dropped into puddle next to the pool onto hard cement.

Ive seen a few of yours family photos from cruises and some are really awesome!!

Im looking for something that will give me colorful crisp photos.

I actually wasnt thrilled with my 100IS in low light conditions. I would consider a DSLR (as I do have a film canon rebel and am not opposed to the "big camera bag"). In fact forcing myself to have the big bag and neck strap may be a good thing. But Im not opposed to a nice semi advanced point and shoot either.

Whats your camera of choice for vacations? Do you own more than 1? Do you use something different for "everyday"?

I just broke my third (or was it fourth) dig cam in 6 years. The last fatality was a Canon SX100 IS that got dropped into puddle next to the pool onto hard cement.

Ive seen a few of yours family photos from cruises and some are really awesome!!

I actually wasnt thrilled with my 100IS in low light conditions. I would consider a DSLR (as I do have a film canon rebel and am not opposed to the "big camera bag"). In fact forcing myself to have the big bag and neck strap may be a good thing. But Im not opposed to a nice semi advanced point and shoot either.

Whats your camera of choice for vacations? Do you own more than 1? Do you use something different for "everyday"?

I've got a Sony DSC-H5 and a Nikon CoolPix S210. I like the pix the Sony takes, its zoom, and the option to either go full point-and-shoot or take more control myself. But, I find it gets to be too big to comfortably take on all day outings along with all the other stuff I need to bring for the kids. And DH hates it because his finger always hits the focus mode button when he's pushing the shutter button which makes the camera switch to annoying "takes forever to focus" mode. So I got the little Nikon that I can easily carry in my back pocket. Pix maybe aren't quite as nice as the Sony's, but still really good. Trivial, but I like Nikon's transfer software better, too. The really nice thing about the Nikon is that I found a $25 waterproof bag that it fits in, so I was able to take pix while in the water and even underwater with it. As long as I remembered to keep the camera lens pushed tight against the bag's lens, you really can't tell the camera was in a bag! And, the camera was cheep enough that if the bag leaked and killed the camera, I wouldn't have been too devastated.

Pix taken by Sony DSC H5:

07063019.JPG07063027.JPG

Pix taken by Nikon CoolPix S210:

s609505669_2043210_7792631.jpgs609505669_2043239_846653.jpg

Pix taken by Nikon CoolPix S210 in waterproof bag:

s609505669_2043273_5635344.jpgs609505669_2043268_5879903.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see higher res versions of the pix.

I'm researching cameras myself and have been immersed in reviews of the Canon Powershot cameras. One of the features I "need" is pockability, so I'm looking at the slim cameras that fit in my back pocket, so that eliminated lots of cameras for me, including the new SX200. I'd like to stick with Cannon because I'm sold on the durability. Ive had my old SD630 for a couple years and we really give it a beating, I can't believe it still works frankly, I use it every day for work and family, and drop it frequently.

I'm really interested in the new SD970 and there are not many reviews to be found, but most of them mention poor performance in low light. I have read rave reviews about last years SD990 and it doesn't seem to have problems with low light levels. It doesn't have the HD video feature though. But it does have 14.7mp which is amazing for such a small camera, and the price has dropped dramatically since it came out last year.

I've found some good reviews and good information on the discussion board at this website:

http://www.dpreview.com/

I own too many cameras :p

DSLR for the higest performance for shooting fast montion sports and the best low light, too many pocket cameras for convenience.

If you are looking for a hardy and waterpoof camera the Olympus 850SW is one to look at. Its can go in the pool, water, and can survive drops by design. THe photo quality isn't best in class but good enough for anything below 5x7.

The Canon/Sony probably offer the best compact point and shoot with "best" photo quality. The reality is that all the modern digital will give you acceptible 4x6. Where point and shoot will dissapoint is if you expect fast focus, fast frame rate, low light. Most of these pictures quality degrade quickly above base ISO.

DSLR are the best if you can handle the size and cost. Get one with a superzoom lense and you may never change a lense. Canon and Nikon offer the best full range. The other manufactures also offer very good and competent offerings but Canon and Nikon are the big guys with the widest range of selection. Here you can spend 500-600 to 20K+ in $ :eek:

You can read here for an good overview of all the options:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

BTW for cameras size matters. Want best low light performance you need a big sensor, the bigger the better. Thus DSLR always will be better then any point and shoot and a full-frame DSLR will be better then a small sensor DSLR.

Happy shoppoing!

All of my pictures are taken by an Olympus Stylus - It's an underwater Digital. And it's impact resistant.

Most of the pics that you see flipping around in my signature were taken by that camera. (Snorkeling pic, ATV beach pic and the balcony pic were taken with the Olympus)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=cabcat0401000~~nf397%7C%7C4f6c796d707573&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abCameraCamcorderSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0400000&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=30&loc=KW-1025

I used to carry around a few different cameras and I downsized them all to 1. I like being able to go from ship pool to ship dining room to wave runner and beach - all with the same camera.

I have the blue one ;) lol

I have a Sony Cybershot H2 and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. It's got great zoom, isn't complicated, takes wonderful pictures. The majority of the pictures in my Triumph album below are taken with it. It went for about $300-$350 at Best Buy when I got it 2 years ago or so.

If you have trouble with electronics breaking, I wouldn't blow the cash on a DSLR if I were you. And if you do, I'd get whatever extended warrantee that is offered (my theory is that if I can't afford to replace something out of pocket, I bite the bullet and get the extended warantee offered by the place I'm buying it from). Best Buy is great about replacing stuff, no questions asked.

To help protect my cameras and other electronics, I invest in little silicon skins for them. I buy mine off ebay and they come directly from China for $5-10 including shipping. Not available for all cameras, but we have them for our ipod, the itouch and for my last canon powershot. I drop my electronics frequently, and I credit the silly little silicon skin for protection. My friends make fun of me about my camera "rubber" but they all want to know where I got it, too. It also helps protect electronics with general dirt and mositure and I think it really provides quite a bit of cushioning when dropped. If you are prone to dropping/breaking electronics like my family (kids, pets, and myself included!) then look for these silicon skins/cases for your items!

I still haven't decided what I'm going to buy, I'm now leaning toward the Canon SX200. While I prefer a camera that fits in my pocket and had been researching those, the sx200 is a bit too thick for that but I finally decided that otherwise the sx200 has the features I really want, and I still have my older/slimmer canon to shove in my pocket when needed.

I had a Canon and couldn't STAND it. It was an A-something model, and the lighting on it STUNK. If I used the flash, everything was MASSIVELY washed out, and without the flash everything was too dark. I've had Nikons in the past I've liked, and my Sony. But just FYI, my Canon drove me BONKERS. Whatever your decide, definately check out the user ratings/reviews on epinions.com, amazon.com and buzillions.com.

I had a Canon and couldn't STAND it. It was an A-something model, and the lighting on it STUNK. If I used the flash, everything was MASSIVELY washed out, and without the flash everything was too dark. I've had Nikons in the past I've liked, and my Sony. But just FYI, my Canon drove me BONKERS. Whatever your decide, definately check out the user ratings/reviews on epinions.com, amazon.com and buzillions.com.

Entry level P&S and flash are not a combination that will perform.

The A-series is Canon's most inexpensive consumer line of digital cameras and as such you won't get the best out of them.

You want nice soft natural color in low light then you need a DSLR shooting with correct WB or you need flash unit on the DSLR with a diffuser and/or bounced. Technique is as important as the equipment, but sometimes the equipment really can limit what you can do.

A better place for camera reviews will be the websites that concentrate specifically on photography equipment. Two of the ones that are good and I think very objective are here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

Mine is the S3IS. A little bulky to carry around in the purse but it takes AWESOME pics that I can blow up into poster size if I want to!! Also takes really decent videos with good sound.

I actually would buy the exact same model all over again. No questions asked.

All of my pictures are taken by an Olympus Stylus - It's an underwater Digital. And it's impact resistant.

Most of the pics that you see flipping around in my signature were taken by that camera. (Snorkeling pic, ATV beach pic and the balcony pic were taken with the Olympus)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=cabcat0401000~~nf397%7C%7C4f6c796d707573&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abCameraCamcorderSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0400000&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=30&loc=KW-1025

I used to carry around a few different cameras and I downsized them all to 1. I like being able to go from ship pool to ship dining room to wave runner and beach - all with the same camera.

I have the blue one ;) lol

I second everything!! We love our Olympus. We bought it for our anniversary cruise and used it to take pics of us on the boat and underwater. We also love it because when our daughter drops it, it is ok.

Costco actually has them on sale now. We have the silver one. :)

P9290048-1.jpg

PA010104-1.jpg

Tolani

I have the Canon S2IS and I love it. They have since added S3IS and S5IS. They are all pretty similar with the newer models having a few more options. I love the zoom on it and you can go with the cameras settings or you can go to the more advanced features and do your own settings. It is not a fit in your pocket camera though, I don't mind because I love a lot of zoom and the pocket cameras just don't have as much.

If you look on Amazon they give you examples of pictures taken with the cameras.

Archived