Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

Everyone posting in this thread has a point; however street crime is everywhere these days, especially in big cities. All these suggestions made by other posters (try not to carry things you can't afford to loose, use a money belt, a bra stash etc) are very useful, but nothing can be more useful, either when travelling or in the city we live in, than common sense. Barcelona is a big and beautiful city. Relax, keep your eyes open and enjoy travelling.

Agree with the comments by our New Yorker on common sense, etc. We've traveled in twenty different countries in Europe over the past two decades during many visits. Generally, no problems. BUT, we did have real attempt (that failed) in Prague as I was going to get on the crowded subway car there. In Nimes in southern France, a group of young gypsy family members tried on me, but got into my wife's purse and took her wallet. We got her wallet back at the police station with credit cards, but cash gone. It does happen! Carry less and harden the target! These theives are smart and cunning! They work in groups, some to distract and the other to do the grab. Don't underestimate them, but also get out there and enjoy the joys and fun of Europe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Some pickpockets will try to grap a purse or wallet at the last second that you are getting on the metro, so the doors close before you can retreive it. This happened in Naples to my BIL, when getting onto the train to Pompeii. Nothing was in his pocket (was wearing a money belt) but the pickpocket's hand as the door was closing.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an amateur try and slide his hand in my pocket on the Metro in Paris. I'm a big dude (6'2" about 220lbs) and he got a solid (yeah, not a jab... a full blow) elbow shot to his ribs. I looked at him and said "I don't know if you speak English, but the next one goes to your face." He "OOOOFF'd" and apologized like 3 times and got off at the next stop.

The lady next to me said that he was definitely trying to get in my pocket. Something I was 99% positive of before giving the elbow.

I had nothing in there, but still... he didn't know that.

• 2 weeks later...
I had an amateur try and slide his hand in my pocket on the Metro in Paris. I'm a big dude (6'2" about 220lbs) and he got a solid (yeah, not a jab... a full blow) elbow shot to his ribs. I looked at him and said "I don't know if you speak English, but the next one goes to your face." He "OOOOFF'd" and apologized like 3 times and got off at the next stop.

The lady next to me said that he was definitely trying to get in my pocket. Something I was 99% positive of before giving the elbow.

I had nothing in there, but still... he didn't know that.

When my sister lived in Paris for a while she used the metro a lot. Once another American in the same car realized his wallet was missing and said "Pick-pocket!" she told him "Say it louder" he said it a bit louder and she kept telling him to say it louder. Once he yelled "PICK POCKET!" and other people on the car started to notice and look around, his wallet "appeared" on the floor.

Moral of the story, as soon as you realize you've been picked, cause a ruckus and make a scene. It can't hurt.

This reminds me of when I was on my honey moon (many moons ago) and I was standing in a crowded bus. I was holding onto my bag and felt a hand going over me. I was more determined to look after my bag than defend my honour.

Out of the blue an older woman stood up, pushed me onto her seat and shouted 'Now try it on me !!!'

Everyone stared at the man and some started to jeer at him. He tried to push his way through the packed bus with the youngsters pushing him and taunting him. He ended up on the floor and then managed to get off the bus.

The moral - yes it does pay to shout and make a fuss.

By the way, my brand new husband was further up and didn't realise what was happening.

When my sister lived in Paris for a while she used the metro a lot. Once another American in the same car realized his wallet was missing and said "Pick-pocket!" she told him "Say it louder" he said it a bit louder and she kept telling him to say it louder. Once he yelled "PICK POCKET!" and other people on the car started to notice and look around, his wallet "appeared" on the floor.

Moral of the story, as soon as you realize you've been picked, cause a ruckus and make a scene. It can't hurt.

Be careful if you hear someone yell something like this. Sometimes one of the thieves in a group will yell that they've just been pickpocketed and then the natural instinct of everyone else in the area is to pat themselves whereever their money is. The group of thieves watches for that and then they know exactly where each person has their valuables.

• 2 months later...
First, for those who say they did not see any pickpockets...that is a big part of why many are efficient and successful at pickpocketing. While you may see some who are clearly trying to get money, etc. (the throwing babies stories, etc.), many make a big effort to blend in like the well dressed tourists an earlier poster mentioned. If they blend in well, you don't even know they are there.

We were recently in Rome, Florence and Barcelona (among other cities) and did not have a problem. We were both very aware of our surroundings and I did wear the "dreaded" neck safe (although I can't understand why they are referred to as dreaded). While on the cruise, we left nearly all valuables in the safe in our cabin (took 1 credit card, cash, photo id). I carried a lightweight tote bag (baggelini with 10 zippered compartments) where we carried umbrellas and water. We also put the bags with the souvenirs we purchased (nothing of value) in the bag to keep our hands free. My husband did keep a small id case in his front pocket with his driver's license and a small amount of cash (neither one being a huge deal if he was pickpocketed). He seemed to keep his hand either in his pocket or near it and he never had a problem.

On the other hand...for men who say they put their wallet in their front pocket so it's safe...a few years ago my dad thought my mom was paranoid because she was alert for pickpockets (used a necksafe) so he put a "dummy wallet" in his front pocket with $20 in it to prove to her that she was paranoid. Well, one bus ride later the wallet was gone and he never felt a thing. He changed his outlook pretty quickly.

The biggest thing is to be cautious of how you carry valuable and be alert to your surroundings.

I will say that while we were alert and on guard for pickpocketing, we did not have any fears for our safety.

Could you give me the name of the baggalinni tote? They have quite a few totes. I like the 10 compartments. I like to have everything in its own space.

To all those who feel so sure of themselves - if you happen to lose your wallet in your home town, it's no big deal. However, if it happens while you're on vacation in a foreign country it's a big problem and can sour a good part of the holiday.

I always maintain - use some form of money belt/pouch

I agree with that and I would add some common sense too!

Archived