Holland Cruise--Veere & Delta Works

pier

On Sunday we're taking a river cruise (Holland & Belgium)that will be stopping in Veere. We'd like to see the Delta Works nearby. The boat has an excursion that is expensive so we're thinking of doing it on our own. Does anyone know how far the Delta Works is from Veere? Could we get there by train? By taxi? Do we need a tour once we get to the Delta Works or can we see it on our own? Any advice would be most appreciated.

What cruiseline and ship are you with?

I went there last year with Uniworld's Tulips and Windmills cruise and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Delta Works was fascinating. It was part of our tour though.

If it's not part of your cruiseline's free tours, I would suggest that you take their already prearranged one.

If I remember properly, there wasn't a whole lot around the area for public transportation coming and going.

Verre is a charming small old town. However that area of the country (Zeeland) is not very busy and I think public transport will not be that great.

Cabs are expensive in NL.

We're going with Grand Circle. Since you enjoyed the tour, we'll try it. Thanks for the input.

Yes, definitely do this optional tour. We did it with GCT last year (on the Holland & Belgium in Springtime cruise). It's fascinating (but cold and windy most of the year LOL- so dress in layers). You'll see a movie & walk around some indoor exhibits, then have a guided tour through "the works."

We felt that this tour was worth the extra cost.

Yes, definitely do this optional tour. We did it with GCT last year (on the Holland & Belgium in Springtime cruise). It's fascinating (but cold and windy most of the year LOL- so dress in layers). You'll see a movie & walk around some indoor exhibits, then have a guided tour through "the works."

We felt that this tour was worth the extra cost.

To follow up on DW's post, Delta Works was one of those "in the middle of nowhere" places . . . unfortunately I don't recall where the ship was that day, but returning to the ship we drove for quite a while before we got to any decent sized town. A tour is the way to go. As noted, dress for winds off the sea weather!

Archived