Review of Kids Program on Solstice 4/12/09

cruisebunny32

I figured I would write a review about the kids program since there is not enough written about it. We have sailed on Celebrity 13 plus years and are Elite. My son, who is 8 has been on 7 cruises and my daughter, who is 3 just took her 3rd. We were on Solstice over Easter break for my son.

After you check in as you are walking down towards the ship there is a youth table that you must stop at. They check the kids in and give them a wristband which has your muster station on it. YEP or Youth Evacuation Program is used to help incase of an emergency if you kids are in the activities...the youth staff will bring them to the muster station, so you don' have to go and get them. All kids have to check in, requardless of age.

They have an open house during the embarkation day. You have to go in and fill out an information sheet with basic information such as allergies, and who can pick up your child etc. They also have you list a password.

The children are in groups ages 3-5, 6-8, 10-12 are in the Fun Factory. The staff is very attentive and there are always alot of staff on hand and with the children. There were 350 kids on board this week, but hardly a handful in the Fun Factory at any given time. There are small areas with colorful dividers for each age group. They have low chairs and tables and lots of games, activites, computers available. Celebrity has a partnership with Leap Frog and has many educational game systems available. There is also a Wii. The 10-12 area has video games and you can put money on the sail card for them to use on these.

The have the program every day. 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm, and 7pm-10pm are the scheduled activity times. Each time frame has a theme. They did Pirates, Sponge Bob, In the Sea, Puppies, Scavenger hunts as examples. They do arts and crafts, face painting and games. They also have family activities like Family Bingo, Family Disco, Talent Show. the kids have private tours of backstage and the bridge. They also play outside on a basket ball court that is enclosed. 12pm-2pm and 5pm-7pm the do have a sign up sheet for lunch and dinner and they do feed them if they stay. They charge a $6/child/hour fee for these times. They also do a slumber party from 10pm till ??? every night which is $6/child/hour. My kids did not go late at night since we had late seating dinner, so I do not know what the slumber party is like. The did stay till 11pm one night when we went to a specialty restaurant.

My kids spent a few hours at the Fun Factory every day, and then went swimming some days with us, or out on the islands. The last day we left them on the boat in the kids program and went ashore to shop. We had left them for lunch that day and it was no problem. They had a good time.

The staff is very attentive and the kids really loved them.

If anyone has any questions..feel free to ask me.

The Teens have an X-club area and we did walk through. There was a big TV and I think a Wii. They also had a coffee bar and snack area. I saw Teen disco stuff on the Dailies. The teens all looked happy. When we walked through 3 teens were sitting on the sofas all on their phone texting. I thought it was comical.

The kids menu in the main dining room is the same every night. Chicken Fingers, Mac and Cheese, Hot dog, hamburger, Pasta. French Fries, fruit and they have Icecream and brownies for dessert. The kids are welcome to order from the adult menu as well. My son ate a steak a few nights. The buffet area has a very large selection of foods that everyone is bound to find something for breakfast and lunch.

We're going to be on the Infinity during August. Do you know if the Infinity Fun Factory program is the same as the Solstice? Granddaughters are 6 and 8. Our most recent cruise was on the Voyager and their children's program was the girls' most memorable part of their trip. I am glad to hear your rave review of the X program. I know there will be less children, by the mere size of the ship, but large numbers of children do not necessarily mean a better program.

Hi,

I was happy to read your review. We are going on our 1st cruise, June 5th and have a 5 year old son and 9 year old daughter and we will be onboard the Celebrity Solstice.

We were planning on leaving the children onboard when we are in Sicily, Athens, Turkey and Naples. We believe they would enjoy the ship more than the tours.

We thought there was a children's program on the ship when in port but have been informed that "no" when in port there is no program however there are likely sitters available but they would not be able to advise us until we were on the ship and there is an extra fee for this. We have booked several private tours so hoping this will all work out okay. Did you have any problems leaving your children on the ship?

Thank you

Terry

We're going to be on the Infinity during August. Do you know if the Infinity Fun Factory program is the same as the Solstice? Granddaughters are 6 and 8. Our most recent cruise was on the Voyager and their children's program was the girls' most memorable part of their trip. I am glad to hear your rave review of the X program. I know there will be less children, by the mere size of the ship, but large numbers of children do not necessarily mean a better program.

I have not been on Infinity but on all the other M-class ships and he programs are fairly similar. The Fun Factory is aft and there is one large room and a few smaller rooms, a ball pit and an outside play area. My son practically lived there the first time he could go on the ship (he was 5) I am sure they will have a great time.

Hi,

I was happy to read your review. We are going on our 1st cruise, June 5th and have a 5 year old son and 9 year old daughter and we will be onboard the Celebrity Solstice.

We were planning on leaving the children onboard when we are in Sicily, Athens, Turkey and Naples. We believe they would enjoy the ship more than the tours.

We thought there was a children's program on the ship when in port but have been informed that "no" when in port there is no program however there are likely sitters available but they would not be able to advise us until we were on the ship and there is an extra fee for this. We have booked several private tours so hoping this will all work out okay. Did you have any problems leaving your children on the ship?

Thank you

Terry

Terry...I never went to Europe, but I would think the program is cruiseline wide. You can leave the kids on board and go touring. You just have to pay the $6/child/hour for the hours of 12pm-2pm and they will feed them lunch. (or 5pm-7pm for dinner)They keep them busy. Port days they have always been open. At sea days they make you pick them up at lunch time. My kids enjoyed the club and didn't care that we were gone. I didn't have any problems leaving them on the ship. There is security and I have their cards....so they can't get off without me! I don't know where you got the info that the club is not open in port days. I have never heard of this. They have this big space...I doubt they would close it!

I figured I would write a review about the kids program since there is not enough written about it. We have sailed on Celebrity 13 plus years and are Elite. My son, who is 8 has been on 7 cruises and my daughter, who is 3 just took her 3rd. We were on Solstice over Easter break for my son.

After you check in as you are walking down towards the ship there is a youth table that you must stop at. They check the kids in and give them a wristband which has your muster station on it. YEP or Youth Evacuation Program is used to help incase of an emergency if you kids are in the activities...the youth staff will bring them to the muster station, so you don' have to go and get them. All kids have to check in, requardless of age.

They have an open house during the embarkation day. You have to go in and fill out an information sheet with basic information such as allergies, and who can pick up your child etc. They also have you list a password.

The children are in groups ages 3-5, 6-8, 10-12 are in the Fun Factory. The staff is very attentive and there are always alot of staff on hand and with the children. There were 350 kids on board this week, but hardly a handful in the Fun Factory at any given time. There are small areas with colorful dividers for each age group. They have low chairs and tables and lots of games, activites, computers available. Celebrity has a partnership with Leap Frog and has many educational game systems available. There is also a Wii. The 10-12 area has video games and you can put money on the sail card for them to use on these.

The have the program every day. 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm, and 7pm-10pm are the scheduled activity times. Each time frame has a theme. They did Pirates, Sponge Bob, In the Sea, Puppies, Scavenger hunts as examples. They do arts and crafts, face painting and games. They also have family activities like Family Bingo, Family Disco, Talent Show. the kids have private tours of backstage and the bridge. They also play outside on a basket ball court that is enclosed. 12pm-2pm and 5pm-7pm the do have a sign up sheet for lunch and dinner and they do feed them if they stay. They charge a $6/child/hour fee for these times. They also do a slumber party from 10pm till ??? every night which is $6/child/hour. My kids did not go late at night since we had late seating dinner, so I do not know what the slumber party is like. The did stay till 11pm one night when we went to a specialty restaurant.

My kids spent a few hours at the Fun Factory every day, and then went swimming some days with us, or out on the islands. The last day we left them on the boat in the kids program and went ashore to shop. We had left them for lunch that day and it was no problem. They had a good time.

The staff is very attentive and the kids really loved them.

If anyone has any questions..feel free to ask me.

The Teens have an X-club area and we did walk through. There was a big TV and I think a Wii. They also had a coffee bar and snack area. I saw Teen disco stuff on the Dailies. The teens all looked happy. When we walked through 3 teens were sitting on the sofas all on their phone texting. I thought it was comical.

The kids menu in the main dining room is the same every night. Chicken Fingers, Mac and Cheese, Hot dog, hamburger, Pasta. French Fries, fruit and they have Icecream and brownies for dessert. The kids are welcome to order from the adult menu as well. My son ate a steak a few nights. The buffet area has a very large selection of foods that everyone is bound to find something for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for the review. I'm not sure if you know but I'll ask anyway.. How strict are they with the age groupings? We are traveling with 6 girls and all but my youngest is over 13 (she is 12). Do you think they would let her hang out with the older girls in the teen area?

Ron

Hi,

Thank you

Terry

Terry this is from the Celebrity website:

Fun Factory

This is where the magic happens and the fun starts. A place exclusively for our junior cruisers. Open from 9:00am until 10:00pm each and every night, entertaining every child and teen onboard the vessel with crafts, games, toys, arcade games, music, karaoke, and much much more Come step inside on the first day of the cruise for our Open House, where families can get all the information they need about the Fun Factory Programs and we plan each junior cruiser's fun-filled vacation.

I have never used the kid clubs when we were port as our kids were with us but I wouldn't rely on what Celebrity customer service told you on the phone as fact. They are sometimes misinformed.

Hopefully more people who have first hand knowledge can add more.

Ron

We were on Infinity with our girls last August. The kids club is somewhat smaller in size but they do keep the kids very busy.

My daughter was in the 9-11 group and they had a lot of activities. The 6-8 group had A LOT of kids in it. We usually saw them traveling with the counselors from one part of the ship to another for different activities and they all looked like they were having a ball.

Here is a activity list from one day for the Cadets which is the 6-8 age group.

9 AM Playdoh Sea Pals/ Go Fish

Find Fishie

Crab Relay

Craft Corner

Swimming in the ballpit

Storytime at Sea

1145 wrap up and sign out

12-2PM Afternoon party (nominal fee $6.hour per child

2PM Craft Corner: Messy Worm Painting

Find the path thru the swamp

Talent Show Rehearsal

Snack Time

4PM What's that smell. What time is it Mr Stinky

445 Wrap up and sign out

5 PM Dinner Party (fee same as lunch)

6PM Dinner Time

7PM Mental training

Spy Squad

handshake Detective

Alphabet hunt

Obstacle Course

930P Sneaky Snacks

10PM - 1 AM Slumber party (fee)

Cruisebunny: Are you sure on the age groupings. In looking thru the stuff from our Infinity Cruise last summer it was 3-5,6-8,9-11 and 12 and over was the teens club. I just read the same information on Celebrity's site which would work out really great for us as all the girls would be in the teen club together.

Ron

While there were many aspects of our 3/22 Solstice sailing that we thought were great, the Kids Club was probably the worst feature of the entire sailing. As diehard Celebrity sailors (see signature) it doesn't take much to make us happy... but to tout your kids club as being sponsored by Leap Frog Entertainment and then have Leapster Games but no game cartridges still blows my mind. Additionally, because even our Spring Break sailing featured only 150 children total (a great thing to some, including us), the ages in the Kids Club were combined, leading my 6 year old to be over his head with the 8 and 9 year olds yet also playing with the 4 year olds. This part didn't completely throw me, but it is good to know as you plan.

Because we view our Spring Break as family vacation time, at the most our son was in the kids club for 2 consecutive hours a day and, in fact, for less or no time other days... but those few hours weren't great and I wasn't terribly impressed with the counselors' energy and creativity... exceedingly nice people but I'm guessing some of the more child-intensive lines probably get the cream of the crop... but that really is just a guess. Full disclosure: I'm an elementary school principal so while I'm not looking for teachers on board, I am sure I'm more critical than the typical parent.

Yes we're going on Disney at Thanksgiving (heaven help us!!) with extended family, but then we decided on Summit out of San Juan for next Spring Break. Knowing that we're departing from SJ I'm expecting there will be even less children on board, but, again, as it's a family vacation we're not looking to offload our son...just captivate him every once in a while... with an island-intesive itinerary we'll be off the ship an awful lot. My son explored the websites and pleaded to go on Freedom of the Seas... I'm not a fan of the big ships and trying a new line like RCL at Spring Break (when mamma really needs a vaca) isn't enticing. He's 6... he doesn't get to pick the vacations.

However, in this flattening market, and an obviously huge fan of Celebrity's service and style, my husband and I can't help but hope that Celebrity can be the upscale alternative for parents with well-behaved "Lake Wobegon" children who need a good vacation.

Let's start by getting the room sponsors to at least kick in some cartridges for the darn video games!

Cruisebunny: Are you sure on the age groupings. In looking thru the stuff from our Infinity Cruise last summer it was 3-5,6-8,9-11 and 12 and over was the teens club. I just read the same information on Celebrity's site which would work out really great for us as all the girls would be in the teen club together.

Ron

You may be right. I missed the 9 year olds in my division! They had tweens and teens....don't know the difference in ages though. 12 and over!

Thanks for posting a typical day! That was a good idea!

Thanks for the review. I'm not sure if you know but I'll ask anyway.. How strict are they with the age groupings? We are traveling with 6 girls and all but my youngest is over 13 (she is 12). Do you think they would let her hang out with the older girls in the teen area?

Ron

It couldn't hurt to ask. I have heard that they let the more mature kids go in other groups. If the child is happier and it is okay with the parents...I am sure they would be fine with it.

While there were many aspects of our 3/22 Solstice sailing that we thought were great, the Kids Club was probably the worst feature of the entire sailing. As diehard Celebrity sailors (see signature) it doesn't take much to make us happy... but to tout your kids club as being sponsored by Leap Frog Entertainment and then have Leapster Games but no game cartridges still blows my mind. Additionally, because even our Spring Break sailing featured only 150 children total (a great thing to some, including us), the ages in the Kids Club were combined, leading my 6 year old to be over his head with the 8 and 9 year olds yet also playing with the 4 year olds. This part didn't completely throw me, but it is good to know as you plan.

Because we view our Spring Break as family vacation time, at the most our son was in the kids club for 2 consecutive hours a day and, in fact, for less or no time other days... but those few hours weren't great and I wasn't terribly impressed with the counselors' energy and creativity... exceedingly nice people but I'm guessing some of the more child-intensive lines probably get the cream of the crop... but that really is just a guess. Full disclosure: I'm an elementary school principal so while I'm not looking for teachers on board, I am sure I'm more critical than the typical parent.

Yes we're going on Disney at Thanksgiving (heaven help us!!) with extended family, but then we decided on Summit out of San Juan for next Spring Break. Knowing that we're departing from SJ I'm expecting there will be even less children on board, but, again, as it's a family vacation we're not looking to offload our son...just captivate him every once in a while... with an island-intesive itinerary we'll be off the ship an awful lot. My son explored the websites and pleaded to go on Freedom of the Seas... I'm not a fan of the big ships and trying a new line like RCL at Spring Break (when mamma really needs a vaca) isn't enticing. He's 6... he doesn't get to pick the vacations.

However, in this flattening market, and an obviously huge fan of Celebrity's service and style, my husband and I can't help but hope that Celebrity can be the upscale alternative for parents with well-behaved "Lake Wobegon" children who need a good vacation.

Let's start by getting the room sponsors to at least kick in some cartridges for the darn video games!

Sorry that it was below standard for you. My daughter played with a few games during the trip and there were cartridges available. She wasn't there to play the games..just have some fun at her level. My kids did not spend the whole time in the fun factory and the 3-5 group and 6-8 group were combined quite a few days on our cruise as well. They also enjoyed swimming and playing bocce and croquet, and playing bingo and seeing shows. It is what you make of it. I wouldn't let some games ruin my vacation.

I have not been on Infinity but on all the other M-class ships and he programs are fairly similar. The Fun Factory is aft and there is one large room and a few smaller rooms, a ball pit and an outside play area. My son practically lived there the first time he could go on the ship (he was 5) I am sure they will have a great time.

We have always cruised with RCI but are considering Celebrity Century for October, do you know what the kids clubs are like on Century:confused:? There doesn't appear to be a kids pool on the ship (can only find one on Galaxy plan), is this the case? Would welcome any comments/feedback. Thanks.

Ron

We were on the same cruise with cruisebunny and we had an 8 year old, 2 twelve year olds, a fourteen year old and a sixteen year old in our group. The 12, and 14 year olds were in one group and the 16 year old in another but they are all in the same section of the kids club which is the teen area and they were told they could participate in the activities together. They only went twice though as so much of the club at this age is the kids that are in it. There were a few kids making fun of some of the others and it made them uncomfortable.

Our 8 year old spent more time there and enjoyed some of the activities (and playing with cruisebunnys son) but he did say that he didn't enjoy it as much as on other X cruises. On past cruises by the end of the cruise the kids have become very close with the counselors and were hugging them goodbye by the end, we didn't see that this time. I am not saying he didn't enjoy it because he really did, but there was a lot more free play time the times he was there and the counselors were not participating in it, just sitting in chairs by the door.

Nice review Cruisebunny.

We have always cruised with RCI but are considering Celebrity Century for October, do you know what the kids clubs are like on Century:confused:? There doesn't appear to be a kids pool on the ship (can only find one on Galaxy plan), is this the case? Would welcome any comments/feedback. Thanks.

I have not experienced the kids club on the C-class ships. But I will tell you that there is a Fun factory and the kids are welcome in the regular pool as long as they are potty trained. I am sure the program is very similar to the experience I found on M-class. I am sure your kids will find lots to do on the ship. I wouldn't worry too much!

We were on the same cruise with cruisebunny and we had an 8 year old, 2 twelve year olds, a fourteen year old and a sixteen year old in our group. The 12, and 14 year olds were in one group and the 16 year old in another but they are all in the same section of the kids club which is the teen area and they were told they could participate in the activities together. They only went twice though as so much of the club at this age is the kids that are in it. There were a few kids making fun of some of the others and it made them uncomfortable.

Our 8 year old spent more time there and enjoyed some of the activities (and playing with cruisebunnys son) but he did say that he didn't enjoy it as much as on other X cruises. On past cruises by the end of the cruise the kids have become very close with the counselors and were hugging them goodbye by the end, we didn't see that this time. I am not saying he didn't enjoy it because he really did, but there was a lot more free play time the times he was there and the counselors were not participating in it, just sitting in chairs by the door.

Nice review Cruisebunny.

Martodd....I agree with you that the club did not seem as lively as in past cruises. The counselors stated they were recovering from a very big week the week before...but that still is no excuse! None the less, the kids still had fun...and that is really what matters. I do like the layout of the M-class kids club better!

Thanks for all the great information! We're sailing on the Millie in June with kids 4, 5 and 15. There isn't much information on the kids clubs, and I really appreciate it when people take time to post information. I'll try to do the same when we get back.

Thank you again to all replies. I am sure our children will have a great time as our expectations are not too high. They are happy to finally go on a ship (we live in Vancouver and see them all the time) and that ours has a games room,pool and theatre is bonus. We are happy to see Greece and Italy as well as our 21 year old son is coming on the cruise and then venturing off to hostel it throughout Europe. He think's it may have been better to have finished with the cruising as he will be quite spoiled by the end of it!

While I'm on topic of cruising and children, will my son's require proper attire for dining?

Has anyone experienced seasickness sailing Eastern Mediterranean? What do people reccomend for cruising and sea sickness?

Drinking water, we drink a lot. Is the ship water drinkable? Do people bring water onboard? It is extremely expensive to buy water on board?

Wow! A simple thank you has turned into a lot more questions.

Thanks

Terry

Hi, Terry. We haven't been on the Solstice but we were on the Summit last summer on a Venice-Barcelona cruise. The Fun Factory definitely was open on port days and you could leave your child there while off the ship if that is what you choose. As I recall, there was a small charge for the hours when the Fun Factory would've otherwise been closed (e.g., noon-2pm). We had an excellent Youth Staff on that cruise and our 7 year old loved every minute of it. But it sound like this may vary somewhat from cruise to cruise or ship to ship.

Children are generally expected to follow the dress code. I have two DD's so it's never been a problem to get them into a dressy dresses for formal night. Maybe others who have sons can weigh in with what they did. It's always fun to get a photo taken on formal night of the whole family dressed up. My DH rented a tux from www.cruiselineformal.com. Reasonably priced and very convenient. Have fun on your cruise.

--Junglejane

Thank you again to all replies. I am sure our children will have a great time as our expectations are not too high. They are happy to finally go on a ship (we live in Vancouver and see them all the time) and that ours has a games room,pool and theatre is bonus. We are happy to see Greece and Italy as well as our 21 year old son is coming on the cruise and then venturing off to hostel it throughout Europe. He think's it may have been better to have finished with the cruising as he will be quite spoiled by the end of it!

While I'm on topic of cruising and children, will my son's require proper attire for dining?

Has anyone experienced seasickness sailing Eastern Mediterranean? What do people reccomend for cruising and sea sickness?

Drinking water, we drink a lot. Is the ship water drinkable? Do people bring water onboard? It is extremely expensive to buy water on board?

Wow! A simple thank you has turned into a lot more questions.

Thanks

Terry

He will be required to wear the casual clothing and the formal clothing. My son wears docker type pants (school pants) and a collar shirt on the casual nights. I got a suit for the formal nights. Target has good deals. I brought 2 different ties for a different look. If you prefer not to have him go to formal nights you can send him to the kids club during dinner. My kids did that a couple of nights. We had late seating so....fed them during the 5-7 time frame. They have pizza, pasta, sushi and room service menu. Then took them to kids club at 7pm and had a pre dinner drink before dinner.

I did see people bringing cases of water and cases of soda on board with them...don't know if they were stopped. In past years we had a water pitcher in the room and drank that. This year on Solstice there was no water pitcher. They have a liter bottle of a popular name water (Evian I think) in the room that was $4. I know you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine, which we did with no problem.

I was also on the same cruise 4/12-4/19. Of my three boys, aged 8, 7, and 5, the two oldest were in the 6-8 group together. They found the activities very childish and were often grouped with the 4-6 year olds too. Having read prior posts, we thought they would enjoy the Fun Factory but it was not to be. Nevertheless the kids had a good time on the cruise enjoying dinner in Epernay, the shows, the pool, and roaming the ship. We found the Fun Factory to be filled with many girls surprisingly. The activities involved a lot of coloring and arts and crafts and a fair amount of watching videos. On their own, my kids enjoyed the game room, but at $1.50 - $2.50 per game, I found the prices to be exorbitant and the $10 I put on my kids' sea passes disappeared very quickly. We did use the on-board baby sitting services and my kids really enjoyed spending the evening with their babysitter who took them around the ship and played games with them, etc. Sort of what we were hoping for from the Fun Factory. My kids did enjoy the kids bingo and the talent show, but overall they gave the kids club a big THUMBS DOWN.

It couldn't hurt to ask. I have heard that they let the more mature kids go in other groups. If the child is happier and it is okay with the parents...I am sure they would be fine with it.

I have a 14 yr old son and 13 yr. old daughter and my 11 yr. old son did NOT want to be with 9-11 yr olds. We said he was 12, even though he is vertically challenged!!! It worked out fine, that week, 3/14, the 9-11 yr. olds were a bit on the young side and he fit in better with the older group. They did not do much late night activities so they mainly did daytime scavenger hunts etc. I thought the teen club was a little empty but they had fun.

Archived