Plaza Deck....pros and cons??

Murphey

We love the Plaza...just spent 20 days there on the Emerald, and have 20 more booked on the same deck on the Ruby.

Very convenient to the dining room, the International Cafe, easy to get on a off the ship....no fighting for room on the elevator if going up, and you are the last to get out when going down.

It's a great location, but....I could not tolerate the noise in our cabin P327 on the Emerald. It was a loud (to me) humming that probably was part of the air handling system or some kind of engine noise. After one sleepless night spent out of the room the purser's desk was able to relocate us, salvaging our 20 nights on board. DH couldn't even hear the noise - but the frequency was enough to generate a migraine for me, and ear plugs were of no use - it seemed to penetrate through my jaw, etc. Although the ship was sailing full, some passengers do ineveitably not make the sailing, and they had to wait to confirm overnight who was planning on meeting the ship at the first port, and who was "giving up" and staying home.

That was our first and LAST experiment with an inside cabin.

Our stateroom for the balance of the cruise was on Baja, and we were very happy.....DH was happy because I was happy again. So that is my only caution - if you are bothered by constant humming sounds, avoid that stateroom.:o

We loved the Plaza deck, it is so convenient. We had an outside cabin there on our Alaska cruise last September, however on our upcoming Baltic/Russia cruise with chose the Emerald deck cabin with partially obstructed view as it cost less.

Absolutely HATED our P201 on the Grand. Bow thrusters, anchor chains and the crew slamming their door woke us every morning. It was the smallest room we've ever seen and of course the ship was full so we couldn't downgrade to an inside.

Plaza deck is quite convenient. Nice access to the Piazza, international cafe, and very easy for getting on and off the ship in ports. The one annoyance for me is access to the traditional DR...you have to go up to deck 7, walk all the way to the back of the ship and go down again to 6 (the DR is only accessible by the aft stairs). Other than that, Plaza is a very nice and quiet location.

As long as the cabin isn't located forward, near the bow. DH gets seasick so a cabin that's low and in the middle is perfect. We prefer an outside cabin; Category D.

It's great being near the Internation Cafe. On some ships the traditional dining room is on Plaza Deck just on the other side of the Piazza and there's also a laundry room on Plaza Deck.

Lynn

Archived