Hi Everyone! Freedom Questions

sas80

Hi everyone! Ashley Danielle was born on Dec 30, 2008. She is almost 4 months old and is a budle of joy. Her older brother David simply adores her. He likes to hold her hand when they are in the car together.

Question - we are doing the Freedom Sept 13th out of Orlando. We will be arriving Saturday and will be renting a car to drive to the port on Sunday. Does anyone have any reccomendations on where to stay. We would prefer a continental breakfast and free parking be included.

Also, what do other moms do for their 3 y.o. toddlers sleeping in a motel bed when they dont have the bed guard railings? Do you just "hope" that they dont fall out?

Thanks! c:\Ashley.jpg

Is the baby going, too? I didn't think they could travel under 6 mos?!

Stick some pillows around the child, so they won't just "roll" out---even if he falls, he'll be ok---kids fall out of bed all the time--its soft carpet there!

Or, put him on the floor---then there's no where to go!

Hey lady! I was wondering how you have been doing! Nice to see you back. :D:D:D

Ok, hotels near port. I just was given this tool to use to find hotels near ports. We have personally stayed at the Holiday Inn Coco Beach after a cruise, it was nice enough. There is a Radison at the port you might want to check into. Here is the tool to find the closest hotels.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com

The beds, yes, that's a tough one that I have been dealing with for a few years. Every hotel room is different but this is what we have done in the past.

--moving the bed snug against the wall - using pillows on the other side and then sleep with one eye open. ;)

--see if you can make the couch up, then flip it around to face the wall.

--if all else fails, move a mattress to the floor

Don't be a stranger! Congrats on Ashley!

Is the baby going, too? I didn't think they could travel under 6 mos?!

Stick some pillows around the child, so they won't just "roll" out---even if he falls, he'll be ok---kids fall out of bed all the time--its soft carpet there!

Or, put him on the floor---then there's no where to go!

The baby will be over 6 months by the time we sail in Sept.

I thought about the floor but I am pretty sure that he wont do the floor. I have a feeling like he will roam the room instead. I worry that he is going to want to sleep with us but I know that I will just deal with that in the moment. Hopefully the idea of having a big bed all to himself will entice him to not wwant to sleep with us.

Does the pillow thing work with toddlers?

Ok, hotels near port. I just was given this tool to use to find hotels near ports. We have personally stayed at the Holiday Inn Coco Beach after a cruise, it was nice enough. There is a Radison at the port you might want to check into. Here is the tool to find the closest hotels.

The beds, yes, that's a tough one that I have been dealing with for a few years. Every hotel room is different but this is what we have done in the past.

--moving the bed snug against the wall - using pillows on the other side and then sleep with one eye open. ;)

Thanks for the congrats.

Question - have you ever stayed off property for WDW? What we would like to do is stay close to property (we'll have a car) so we can stroll downtown Disney that afternoon/evening and then drive to the port the next day. We are hoping to say at some place that has continental breakfast and free parking. We would stay on property but that seems like a waste since we wont be going to the parks.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the congrats.

Question - have you ever stayed off property for WDW? What we would like to do is stay close to property (we'll have a car) so we can stroll downtown Disney that afternoon/evening and then drive to the port the next day. We are hoping to say at some place that has continental breakfast and free parking. We would stay on property but that seems like a waste since we wont be going to the parks.

Suggestions?

Personally I haven't stayed "Off Property" unless you include Disney Swan/Dolphin. ;) We stayed there precruise when we weren't going to the parks because they have a Mickey character breakfast in the morning at the hotel. I figured it would be a nice way to start off a cruise. Although it was a non-Disney cruise. The rate was pretty nice.

I am sure in September, you'll find some low rates.

Hotels by the pier hasn't been updated in a few years so it doesn't have some of the newer hotels that are popular in the Port Canaveral area. It is missing both Country Inn and Suites and the Residence Inn which are both beside the Radisson.

We have stayed at the Residence Inn twice. The hotel is a few years old, very clean with decent size suites. There is a kitchen with a full fridge, table for 4, sink, microwave and cooktop. They offer a breakfast buffet with eggs, make your own waffles, cereals, etc. We get a king suite which has a sofabed. You could put the 3 yr old on the sofabed with a few kitchen chairs and pillows to make a bedrail. There would be plenty of room for a pack and play for the baby.

The staff is very helpful. They have a ton of menus for places that will deliver to the hotel. There is a small pool and I think there is a bar out there too.

baby girl, toddler boy - David is doing "fish lips" in one of the pics, there is a mirror on the bottom of the toy he is holding.

They are precious!!! David is getting so big - or is that just because little sister is so small next to him?

We have stayed at both the Embassy Suites and the Holiday Inn Select at the Orlando airport. We much preferred the HI Select - the pool was nice and warm! We swam in January and it was great. We have been at the Embassy Suites in mid March and it was freezing!!! And much smaller. Kids eat free at HI and adult breakfast buffet was $5 per person. Short walk to TGIFriday's for dinner. Free shuttle ride from aiport and the next morning the 10 passenger van we rented to take us to the pier picked us up from the hotel. Quick and easy - no need to rent a car.

We have stayed at both the Embassy Suites and the Holiday Inn Select at the Orlando airport. We much preferred the HI Select - the pool was nice and warm! We swam in January and it was great. We have been at the Embassy Suites in mid March and it was freezing!!! And much smaller. Kids eat free at HI and adult breakfast buffet was $5 per person. Short walk to TGIFriday's for dinner. Free shuttle ride from aiport and the next morning the 10 passenger van we rented to take us to the pier picked us up from the hotel. Quick and easy - no need to rent a car.

Do you mind me asking how much he van rental was and where did you rent it from?

Awww Sas! Your little baby boy is not the same little BABY boy that I am used to seeing in your avatar. And Ashley is just beautiful!

Mema - thanks for the heads up! I was wondering why I hadn't seen it posted around here, ever...lol. That's makes sense now. :D

We used Quicksilver Tours, who are recommended by allearsnet.com. Their website is www.quicksilver-tours.com. They charged $210 for round trip transportation for a 10 passenger van (spring break 07). I think it's $230 now. I don't remember Royal Caribbean's charge per person, but it was a no-brainer. It was also nice to be picked up right from the hotel, on our schedule. It was just us - not a busful of people waiting until it's full enough to head to the pier. And he was right outside when we disembarked.

We used Quicksilver Tours, who are recommended by allearsnet.com. Their website is www.quicksilver-tours.com. They charged $210 for round trip transportation for a 10 passenger van (spring break 07). I think it's $230 now. I don't remember Royal Caribbean's charge per person, but it was a no-brainer. It was also nice to be picked up right from the hotel, on our schedule. It was just us - not a busful of people waiting until it's full enough to head to the pier. And he was right outside when we disembarked.

Right now RCCL transfers are $72 each person. RCCL would charge for the baby (even tho she would sit on my lap anyways) So, for the 4 of us, that's $288. The van is cheaper. We are also contemplating renting an SUV from Budget. $100 for an overnight rental, one way (MCO to the port) and that includes 2 car seats. That would be cheaper than RCCL too.

Thanks for the info!

Archived