Stock or Next Cruise? which is better?

I got a NextCruise on my January cruise and was led to believe that I had to use it on a booking within 30 days. I felt rushed by a staff member who provided incorrect information. The experience turned me off the whole NextCruise concept. I did save MORE using it, because we booked a total of three cabins, so our fellow passengers got to trade in the friends & family certificates and also get OBCs. (Admittedly, something worth considering if you cruise with others.)

Out of frustration, I bought 100 shares of RCL stock. It was down at $5.94/share at the time and I figured it woudln't take me long to recoup my measly investment with $100/cruise OBCs. (And yes, I did realize there was a chance they could/can discontinue the benefit. I felt it unlikely.)

A week or so ago, my $594 stock purchase hit $12/share, giving me on on-paper profit of $606. But if I sold my shares, I'd lose any future on-board credits! I'd only bought the minimum 100 shares! I bought them specifically for the OBCs!!

A few days ago, the stock market took a dive. I bought another 100 shares for $10.45/share. The price is currently at $14.60/share. My total on-paper profit is over $1,200!! In a time span of about six weeks.

Maybe it's not as good a deal to buy in at $14.60/share. But I couldn't be happier about MY decision! If I sold JUST my initial 100 shares today, it would pay for my half of my March 2010 cruise. For me, it worked out better than a $100 OBC!

Or are they worth the same in OBC?
Shareholder Onboard Credit per Stateroom:

$250 for 14 or more nights.

$200 for 10 to 13 nights.

$100 for 6 to 9 nights.

$50 for 5 nights or less.

I think that Next Cruise is identical EXCEPT its maximum is $200. Note that it used to jump at 9 nights, but that jump has been at 10 for maybe two years. I assume that you know that as of 2009 these are no longer combinable.

I don't know if one is "better" than the other across the board--it really depends on how you cruise and how you use them.

I own the stock, but I bought it as I would any other stock--because I believe in the product, and I felt the price was good at the time. (Like printingchick we bought more when the price really tanked--with dollar-cost averaging we are now in the black and expect to make more in the next few years). The stockholder benefit is a perk, but if it went away (as I suspect it will someday) I would go back to the Next Cruise program.

We like the fact we can get an OBC without tying up the cash that the Next Cruise certificates require for a deposit. In fact, I think RCCL made a mistake when these were no longer combinable--it means stockholders have no real incentive to let RCCL hold that extra cash for an unspecified time...

Once you reach Platinum or Diamond/Diamond+, both of those OBCs start to diminish in value. The balcony/suite discount you get is better than the OBC unless you are on a longer sailing.

I forget what the Platinum discount is, but Diamonds get $150 per person on a balcony/suite cabin. That's better than either of the OBCs for any cruise. I'm keeping my stock because we also cruise on Celebrity and Azamara. If RCL was all we cruised, I would sell since the discount is better than any OBC. But Celebrity doesn't offer the discounts (why not? - same company, bad policies).

I bought at $30 per share several years ago. On our Equinox cruise in November, my total OBC will be $3,100. But buying the stock only for the OBC is risky now since it will take several cruises to recoup the cost (and I was double dipping that whole time which is no longer possible).

Archived