NCL has new Luggage rules

Redheel Girl

I am going to Alaska on the Star on April 25th.:D When I recieved my welcome aboard booklet I read that NCL is now requireing each Passenger take only 2 pieces of Luggage :mad:and they can only be 50 pounds each. I had my TA call NCL to comferm and to find out what were the regulations concerning the amount of our carry-ons. My TA talked to a NCL Supervisor and she said that NCL wants to reglate the Luggage to comply with the Airlines. :confused:Then she went on to say that you will only be allowed 1 carry-on 18 by 24. No cases of water and ect.You of course be allowed Purses and Cameras. I did not find out when or where they will check the weight of the Luggage or will they charge us and bill it to our OBC:cool:

The NCL website still posts the old rules, no bag limit, up to 200 pounds per person. This is typical of NCL, their web page and printed documents saying another. The question remains will the new printed documents be enforced?

If I were you I would attempt to comply with at least your luggage. And try to place luggage tags on the sodas and bottled water cases. I figure the worst they will do is charge you an extra fee for the sodas and water. But we'll have to wait and see, won't we?

You aren't packing light if you can't pack enough clothes into two fifty pound bags each for a week or two cruise. Plus a carry on bag. There is always the ship's laundry service to consider. I rather pay the ship's laundry than pay the airlines much much more for checked in luggage.

Edited by Don Haynes

I am going to Alaska on the Star on April 25th.:D When I recieved my welcome aboard booklet I read that NCL is now requireing each Passenger take only 2 pieces of Luggage :mad:and they can only be 50 pounds each. I had my TA call NCL to comferm and to find out what were the regulations concerning the amount of our carry-ons. My TA talked to a NCL Supervisor and she said that NCL wants to reglate the Luggage to comply with the Airlines. :confused:Then she went on to say that you will only be allowed 1 carry-on 18 by 24. No cases of water and ect.You of course be allowed Purses and Cameras. I did not find out when or where they will check the weight of the Luggage or will they charge us and bill it to our OBC:cool:

There has been extensive discussion of this over the past couple weeks on here. NCL can implement what rules they like IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. they have imposed enough restrictions and cutbacks on cruisers already and some things just are not going to happen, for one thing unless they change the way they accept baggage and how they do things at every single terminal they use, there is NO WAY for them to enforce this period.

The feed back if they try will "blow them out of the water" so to speak.

Now many people travel light and have no problem with these "rules" and if you are flying you are going to self regulate anyway or pay a fortune to get your bags checked in.

But many people do not fly and there is no reason whatsoever that the airline rules should apply to a cruise ship they are not the same animal at all.

But I suppose this is as good a time as any to vigorously oppose such stupidity on NCL's part and write YET another letter to them.

Honestly the idiot that came up with this rule should be fired.

I've felt all along that the real underlying reason for the change is to prevent passengers from bringing cases of water and soda on board. This is a very real revenue issue for the cruise line...they make a lot of money selling you beverages.

I think this sums it up:

"Then she went on to say that you will only be allowed 1 carry-on 18 by 24. No cases of water and ect."

I doubt they are actually going to weigh anyone's suitcases.;)

I seriously doubt the porters at the Port of Miami are going to be grabbing your luggage and weighing it. That's the only place they could weigh luggage and police the whole process. It's not like you check in with your luggage. I doubt this rule will ever be enforced.

As I mentioned on another thread, implementing a proper receiving scan system will do the trick. The entire shipping/receiving industry has been moving to or have accomplished a scan system.

While a computer may be expensive, running electricity, a table, a scanner, a label printer, and a scale is cheap.

No loner will people be able to claim missing luggage when one isn't in the system. We are living in the modern era of receiving.

Edited by Don Haynes

'This is what is on the web site-- they mention the airlines-- i will go by this.

"Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents."

Big Green

I know some will disagree but I stand by my statement that no one should ever need to pack more than 100 pounds of stuff for a week-long cruise.

I don't disagree with you about packing pack light in terms of clothes, etc. What concerns me is that the idea of bringing my own mixers for cocktails just entered my world and now it seems they are doing all they can to discourage that!

So, new question, how can I get pineapple juice for my cabin cocktail?

'This is what is on the web site-- they mention the airlines-- i will go by this.

"Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents."

Big Green

The new rules are in the new "Wecome Aboard" booklet passengers are just now getting. One might think NCL has had ample time to update its Web site, but apparently not. ;)

Any amount that can fit in your carry on, or in your checked bags while staying under 50 lbs. each ,would be OK.

Thanks! I think I can do that. A little harder than putting it in a separate container, but a cruiser must suffer sometimes. ;)

Edited to get clairfication. I can check 2 bags of 50 lbs each PLUS have a carryon or the 2 bags includes my carryon? I ask because no way I ever check more than 1 bag. So, there's lots of room in a potential second bag for "stuff."

Edited by bermuder

Thanks! I think I can do that. A little harder than putting it in a separate container, but a cruiser must suffer sometimes. ;)

Edited to get clairfication. I can check 2 bags of 50 lbs each PLUS have a carryon or the 2 bags includes my carryon? I ask because no way I ever check more than 1 bag. So, there's lots of room in a potential second bag for "stuff."

Two bags plus a carryon...just like the airlines.

My understanding is that the carry-on is in addition to the 2 checked (50 lb) bags. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like njhorseman already beat me to the punch.

Edited by johnql

Honestly the idiot that came up with this rule should be fired.

Having worked in corporate world for many, many years, I believe it is unlikely that an individual "idiot" is responsible for the rule change. Typically such proposals are passed well up the ladder for approval, perhaps after being discussed at length in a committee that was charged with finding relatively subtle ways (meaning not charging more for your cruise fare) to increase revenue..

By the way, if the end result of this change is beverage sales on board increasing a percent or two, the "idiot" or "idiots" will be in line for bonuses or promotions, not termination.

Edited by njhorseman

My understanding is that the carry-on is in addition to the 2 checked (50 lb) bags. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like njhorseman already beat me to the punch.

Thanks, John, I do appreciate it. Two bags is plenty for me, I just have to watch the weight. Last year we went to Italy and I was so proud of myself because I really cut back and got everything into one of those 21" pilot cases so I could manage the trains and cabs, etc. easily. AND because since I was switching planes in Madrid, I didn't want to risk losing my luggage. So many veteran travelers say never to check your luggage, so that was my plan. But when I got to the airport, even though the size was okay, they said it was too heavy to be a carry-on. Ugh! I was so disappointed! :( But I was still glad I learned to pack light - it helped on those hot days on the cobbled streets. :)

Another "rule " with no teeth. Until they publish an overweight charge this is just a requested weight limit. As posted the porters will take all your bags $$$.

The biggest benefit will be that we all should get our bags sooner onboard.

Don, NCL is not going to put in scales and airport baggage systems. The operations at the pier belong to the port and unless every cruiseline demands it, ain't going to happen.

As we all know what is NCL policy (you can't bring water onboard) and what is practice at the pier (no problem bringing water onboard) are and will remain very different.

Edited by time2cruise1

We will be on the Dawn 14 night repo cruise, leaving from NYC first of Nov. I am assuming it will be a little chilly the first 2 days at sea. We (DH and I) are planning to bring 1 checked suitcase, under the 50 lb. limit for flying, and a carry on each. That will give us plenty of clothes for all 14 nights. I will not do any laundry. I have learned to pack very conservatively. I figure out what all I need for the cruise, then take out almost 1/2 of what I think I will need, and always have plenty of clothes. Then, I figure out how much $$$ I need, and bring a little more, just in case! :D :D

As we all know what is NCL policy (you can't bring water onboard) and what is practice at the pier (no problem bringing water onboard) are and will remain very different.

If you're the first one who isn't allowed to bring water or soda on board, don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Just because things "are the way they are" doesn't mean they can't be changed. The DSC wasn't $12 until they increased it to that amount. The DSC didn't exist until they decided to implement it. There was no such thing as "Freestyle" dining until it was introduced. "Freestyle" self disembarkation didn't exist until a couple of years ago. I could go on and on, but hopefully I've made my point.

We will be on the Dawn 14 night repo cruise, leaving from NYC first of Nov. I am assuming it will be a little chilly the first 2 days at sea. We (DH and I) are planning to bring 1 checked suitcase, under the 50 lb. limit for flying, and a carry on each. That will give us plenty of clothes for all 14 nights. I will not do any laundry. I have learned to pack very conservatively. I figure out what all I need for the cruise, then take out almost 1/2 of what I think I will need, and always have plenty of clothes. Then, I figure out how much $$$ I need, and bring a little more, just in case! :D :D

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

When I spoke to NCL customer service, the rep told me that they would not charge for overweight bags. She said once the bags can go through the scanner, it should not be a problem.

I really cannot see NCL enforcing this, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem :)