NCL has new Luggage rules

Redheel Girl

DH will probably use one tag and I will use the other 5!:p

Susan

DW puts one luggage tag on me so she doesn't have to keep up with me in the lines!:eek: Once she's through with the muster drill, there I am, sitting outside the room!;)

Sea Hound:D

DW puts one luggage tag on me so she doesn't have to keep up with me in the lines!:eek: Once she's through with the muster drill, there I am, sitting outside the room!;) Sea Hound:D

Your wife sounds like a smart lady can't wait to meet her! I think I will try this for my husband on our Bermuda cruise... What if he gets sent to the naughty room? Will they send a letter to our cabin asking me to go claim him?

DW puts one luggage tag on me so she doesn't have to keep up with me in the lines!:eek: Once she's through with the muster drill, there I am, sitting outside the room!;)

Sea Hound:D

Ha Ha!!! What a great idea!!;)

I've felt all along that the real underlying reason for the change is to prevent passengers from bringing cases of water and soda on board. This is a very real revenue issue for the cruise line...they make a lot of money selling you beverages.

I think this sums it up:

"Then she went on to say that you will only be allowed 1 carry-on 18 by 24. No cases of water and ect."

I doubt they are actually going to weigh anyone's suitcases.;)

I have been expecting this for years..Carnival tried about a year or so ago to restrict soda, but dropped it after about 2 or 3 weeks. Other lines are starting to check for booze more than in the past. I was waiting for the crack down on water as well as soda..I guess we can all understand, it is a money maker for the cruise lines.

We usually bring just a couple of bottles of water, then re-fill them as the cruise goes on. This works great.

Nita

I know some will disagree but I stand by my statement that no one should ever need to pack more than 100 pounds of stuff for a week-long cruise.

John, I agree and for those of us who fly (the majority of cruisers) we are limited anyway. We just got back from a 9 day trip, 7 in Lake Tahoe. We had taken jeans and sweat shirts mostly as we expected cold weather, we even had some booze in our luggage, plus a few other rather heavy things: total weight (2 pieces of luggage) 73 lbs. This didn't count our carry ons of course.

Nita

The big problem with the cruise lines not allowing soda & water brought on board is the those of us who bring it on board usually bring something that they don't serve on board. I am diabetic, so I can only drink diet sodas, ice tea, coffee, tomato juice, V-8 or water. Add to that that I don't usually drink caffinated beverages and you are pretty much down to water. So I prefer to bring on diet orange soda, diet ginger ale, etc. Plus, I usually bring on those small tubes of Crystal Lite and mix part of a tube in my glass of water in the dining room. They wouldn't be making or loosing money on me unless the greatly increased their choice of diet beverages.

If only they were like Sonic & had diet cherry limeade, I would buy the soda card!

Trish

In the Welcome Aboard booklet, the only mention of carry-on:

"And remember, it's always a good idea to hand carry important doucments, medication, jewelry or other valuables."

Maybe they literally mean "hand carry"...as in carrying them in your bare hands, not a piece of luggage. :eek::D;)

The big problem with the cruise lines not allowing soda & water brought on board is the those of us who bring it on board usually bring something that they don't serve on board. I am diabetic, so I can only drink diet sodas, ice tea, coffee, tomato juice, V-8 or water. Add to that that I don't usually drink caffinated beverages and you are pretty much down to water. So I prefer to bring on diet orange soda, diet ginger ale, etc. Plus, I usually bring on those small tubes of Crystal Lite and mix part of a tube in my glass of water in the dining room. They wouldn't be making or loosing money on me unless the greatly increased their choice of diet beverages.

If only they were like Sonic & had diet cherry limeade, I would buy the soda card!

Trish

Or diet Dr. Pepper!

Maybe they literally mean "hand carry"...as in carrying them in your bare hands, not a piece of luggage. :eek::D;)

I doubt it! ;) LOL 'Cause how else am I getting my wine and champagne on? I don't think they would appreciate my carrying that on in my bare hands!! If I pack it, I will get called to the naughty room. :rolleyes: I'm using my rolling wine bag!

I guess my point is, that everyone is assuming that the carry on rules are the same as the airlines, and nothing has really been said about it one way or another. :p

I e-mailed my incredibly helpful TA over the weekend about this:

"Larry:

I understand NCL has amended their 200 pound pp luggage limit to:

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each guest is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if they have different restrictions.

in the 'Welcome Aboard' packet.

Because of formal (wedding) dresses, goodie bags, etc. we might make it under the poundage but DEFINITELY NOT under the 2 bag limit. I haven't told Maggie Cate about this as it is just one more thing... Hoping you can either get us special circumstances dispensation or get definitive confirmation that it is a bunch of hooey.

Also, we are really looking forward to our E-Docs and "Welcome Aboard" packets. Not knowing about the 30 days out things (as everything on NCL says sixty days) we scheduled our cruiser get-together for the second weekend in May. WE WOULD REALLY REALLY REALLY like to have everybody bring E-Docs and Welcome Aboard packet. What are the chances?

Thanks.

Clare"

His response:

"Clare,

You can bring two pieces of luggage plus one carry on. I have never had a problem as far as the weight, if someone is flying then they need to check with the airline."

Thanks a lot. All set now.

Once again...no where is it mentioned about the limit on carry-ons.

Even the airlines allow two of those. :D

I don't know of any airline that officially allows two full size carry ons in coach. They allow one, plus a small, personal item such as a handbag, small backpack or laptop computer.

I know some will disagree but I stand by my statement that no one should ever need to pack more than 100 pounds of stuff for a week-long cruise.

Need and want are completely different things.

... it's my first cruise, booked for October, and all I can do is watch my privileges get taken away one-by-one-by-one-by-one...
I wouldn't worry about it. If you pack within the new rules, you'll still have more stuff with you than you need, or can use. You'll never miss the stuff that you might have been able to bring with you in the past. But you will miss the physical exertion of lugging stuff around that you don't need and won't use.

Because of formal (wedding) dresses, goodie bags, etc. we might make it under the poundage but DEFINITELY NOT under the 2 bag limit. I haven't told Maggie Cate about this as it is just one more thing... Hoping you can either get us special circumstances dispensation or get definitive confirmation that it is a bunch of hooey.

Was the wedding package purchased from NCL or is the actual wedding on ship? If so,then you should be given an exception, if not then you need to follow what every else has to.

Steve

I don't know of any airline that officially allows two full size carry ons in coach. They allow one, plus a small, personal item such as a handbag, small backpack or laptop computer.

right...that's two! ;)

We (2) take transatlantic cruises several times a year partly to transport heavy or bulky or airline prohibited stuff between US and Europe - one way trips for these cases and no flying involved - we just debarked Jewel this morning in Dover with 8 large suitcases which were at least 70pounds each, these fitted under the bed no problem, and we had no problem getting them on in Miami.

By the way the Jewel was great on this transatlantic which left Miami on April 17th. Food and service as good as it gets on NCL, and a friendly crew and hot swimming pools and jacuzzis.

Edited by Griller

Many of the NCL cruise I take are 14 days...and I definitely don't agree with your statement.

Edited by halos

If that was on Cunard I could just about understand it, but I must admit that my personal stuff for 11 days on Jewel recently fitted easily into a carryon bag, and I still looked neat, tidy and clean, even though there are no laundromats anymore.(Please ignore avatar photo that is not really me)

Man this sucks, it's my first cruise, booked for October, and all I can do is watch my privileges get taken away one-by-one-by-one-by-one...

Maybe, maybe not.

We have yet to hear from ANYONE with a problem with luggage. Maybe, just maybe they will tighten up, but so far it has not happened that anyone knows of.