Mudslide cookies...

I just got back from the Navigator a week ago, and really enjoyed (among everything else) the Mudslide cookies from the Cafe Promenade...Does anybody have the recipe for them?

Thanks!

YOu may want to call RCCL and ask if they have it in Savor the cookbook out by RCCL.

YOu may want to call RCCL and ask if they have it in Savor the cookbook out by RCCL.

It is not in there, I just looked. ;)

I have both cookbooks and nothing at all.

There is a recipe on the internet that got the vote of everyone. I will be back in a jiffy. :)

These are not RCCL cookies. But someone asked for the RCCL cookie recipe and this is what he got for an answer.

The second recipe looks rather strange to me? That is a lot of eggs and things?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Posted by: Gypsy Whitemoon

Mudslide Cookies

Flourless cooking spray for greasing

¾ cup plus 2 tbsp cake flour

1 tbsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

1 tbsp instant coffee powder

1 tbsp boiling water

1 tsp vanilla extract

7 oz Hershey’s unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

6 oz Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

8 tbsp unsalted butter

7 large eggs

2-¾ cup sugar

2 cups chopped walnuts

1 ½ cups Hershey’s semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line them with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside. Combine the instant coffee and boiling water to make a paste. Blend in the vanilla extract.

Melt the chopped unsweetened chocolate, chopped semi-sweet chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over medium low heat or in the microwave in 15 to 20 second intervals. Gently stir to blend. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the eggs, sugar and coffee paste mixture on high speed until light in texture and thick, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture with the machine running on medium speed. On low speed mix in the dry ingredients until just blended. Mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips until blended. Scrape down the bowl as needed during mixing to blend evenly.

Using a ¼ cup measure as a scoop, fill it with dough, level it, and drop the dough onto a prepared cookie sheet, leaving 3 to 4 inches between the cookies. In batches, bake until the cookies are cracked on top but still slightly moist, rotating the pans as necessary to bake evenly, 14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes 24 cookies.

Mud-Slide Cookies

2 pounds unsweetened chocolate

6 pounds bittersweet chocolate

1 pound butter

32 eggs

6 pounds sugar

1 ounce coffee extract

1 ounce vanilla extract

1 pound cake flour

1 1/2 ounces baking powder

1/2 ounce salt

1 pound 5 ounces walnuts

4 pounds chocolate chips

Finely chop both chocolates and melt

together with butter in stainless steel

bowl, set over a pan of barely

simmering water. Remove from heat.

Set aside.

Beat together eggs, sugar, coffee and

vanilla extracts in a mixer using the wire

whip attachment, on high speed for 5

minutes or until thick in texture and

light in color. Add the chocolate

mixture to the egg mixture and blend

together. Scrape down the bowl as

necessary. Add walnuts and chocolate

chips and mix just until blended.

Portion into 2 pound logs, wrap in

parchment paper and store in the

freezer or under refrigeration until

needed.

Cut logs into 2 1/2 ounce pieces and

place on parchment lined sheet pans.

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 14

minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from tray, allow to cool

completely on wire rack.

Makes 12 dozen cookies.

Mudslide Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons butter

2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon instant coffee granules

1 tablespoon hot water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup egg substitute

2 large eggs

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 cup semisweet chocolate minichips

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place butter, bittersweet chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until smooth. Combine coffee granules and 1 tablespoon hot water, stirring until granules dissolve. Stir coffee and vanilla into chocolate mixture.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Combine sugar, egg substitute, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 6 minutes or until thick and pale. Gently stir 1/4 of egg mixture into chocolate mixture; stir chocolate mixture into remaining egg mixture. Stir in flour mixture, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets; with moist hands, gently press dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Yield

30 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

Others and I have been trying to find the recipe for the Coconut Ranger cookies for years now, and have not really come close. Conflicting stories, none of which lead to a recipe or source.

Good luck, and if you happen to find the Coconut Ranger cookie recipe along the way, be sure to let me know!

Theron

Thanks Alexis! I wasn't sure if RCCL would give up their "secret recipe". I will have to give those other ones a try...The second recipe looks like they would be baking for the entire ship...;)

More like the whole fleet.

I thought I was seeing things. Maybe that is their recipe?

Good luck mixing that batch. :eek:

Others and I have been trying to find the recipe for the Coconut Ranger cookies for years now, and have not really come close. Conflicting stories, none of which lead to a recipe or source.

Good luck, and if you happen to find the Coconut Ranger cookie recipe along the way, be sure to let me know!

Theron

Yep, Theron....still looking! The recipe they gave me was similar with massive amount of flour, butter, etc.--and all along they came from Sysco:eek:.

Cookie recipes aren't in the cookbooks because they don't make them. We did a galley tour on a recent cruise and someone asked for a recipe. The chef told us they buy the cookies so they don't have a recipe. I assume they come from Sysco. Wherever they come from, they are GOOD!

Cookie recipes aren't in the cookbooks because they don't make them. We did a galley tour on a recent cruise and someone asked for a recipe. The chef told us they buy the cookies so they don't have a recipe. I assume they come from Sysco. Wherever they come from, they are GOOD!

They do come from Sysco and they are not cheap:eek:. I still have some Ranger cookies in my freezer that I got from Sysco. They are Baker's Choice.

Odd, since on the NYE cruise the chef said they bake everything on board. Maybe they buy the dough and bake it...I can see his answer being technically correct in that circumstance without the need to mix which would then mean no recipie on board since it doesn't take much skill to scoop and plop the dough on a cookie tray. :D

Ok, back to fixing the sump pump before the house sinks in the rain this evening. When it kicks on the motor makes noise but the impeller does not start spending. If I push the impeller it spins and works fine...but I'm not going to sit out in the rain to spin it myelf.

Odd, since on the NYE cruise the chef said they bake everything on board. Maybe they buy the dough and bake it...I can see his answer being technically correct in that circumstance without the need to mix which would then mean no recipie on board since it doesn't take much skill to scoop and plop the dough on a cookie tray. :D

Yep, this is the "conflicting answers" I was referring to earlier... I have heard on Grandeur that "everything on the ship is baked from scratch"... and yet we have a box of cookies from Sysco in Truffles' freezer...

I have recently tried to find them from a Sysco rep, but have not been able to do so. Sysco is somewhat regional, however.

Theron

There is a recipe for an Oatmeal cookie in the first book by Rudi Sodamin. It does not have raisins.

I don't know if I can scan it big enough.:confused:

Can you people enlarge that and print it?

What the Chef told us on that galley tour was that it was FDA regulations that caused them to decide to buy cookies rather than making them from scratch. He said that there were just too many rules and regulations about how they had to do it so they just bought the cookies. On the other hand he said they do bake the bread from scratch. I'm thinking we'll pick the galley tour on our Freedom cruise in June and I'll ty to get more info about the difference in bread and cookies as far as FDA rules go.

We were on the 46 day Mariner Around the Horn cruise and he told us that after the first leg there would be no more fresh milk - just the extended shelf life stuff and sure enough that's all there was. He said they can only buy fresh milk and meat in the US. I didn't ask if that was also the case for cruises that originate and end in places other than the US but I'll ask next time.

Archived