corfu beaches?which one

I've been reading about the beaches in Corfu and I am confused.

There are so many.

Can someone help me sort out all these beaches.

We are a family with 3 teenage boys that would like to snorkel if possible at the beach. We don't want to go to far from the port since our day is not long. We are in Corfu from 11 to 7pm. If you can advise me also on how far each beach to the port that would be great. I'd also like to know approx how much a cab to take us to the beach would run for.

Thanks,

Maria

here are the beaches I found:

Pekekas

Glyfada

Paleokastritsa

Sidari

Agios Georgios

Paleo

We have been to Corfu on a land based holiday some years ago, we stayed at Barbati, towards the north of Corfu bay, which has a pebbly beach. We also visited Sidari and Roda on the extreme north coast, which have very wide shallow sandy beaches, but are probably too far from the port. The closest beaches to the port are probably Gouvia or Dassia to the north of Corfu town and Benetistes to the South, which are all shingle & pebble beaches. The best sandy beaches are on the West coast.

As we are only in Corfu for a few hours this time, we will probably stay with the beaches closest to the port like Dassia (15km North).

We went to Glyfada beach. It was about a 30 minute cab ride. Nice sandy beach, with chairs available for rent. There are also a couple of tavernas for luch. Can't comment on the snorkeling.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I went to Paleokastritsa and took a boat ride around the sea caves. It was pretty neat. Not sure about snorkeling... We walked from the port to the bus station (about 15-20 minutes) and took the bus. Cost $2.25 euro each, each way. Taxi's wanted 100 euro to take us there...

My wife and I went to Paleokastritsa and took a boat ride around the sea caves. It was pretty neat. Not sure about snorkeling... We walked from the port to the bus station (about 15-20 minutes) and took the bus. Cost $2.25 euro each, each way. Taxi's wanted 100 euro to take us there...
Did you also have enough time to spend in the old town?

Thanks,

Donna

Did you also have enough time to spend in the old town?

Thanks,

Donna

How much was the boat ride, how long was that?

Can you rent chairs at the beach?

How often the buses run and how long is the bus ride?

Does it drop you right off at the beach?

Was it easy find out out when to get the bus to return you?

Do the buses require exact change or do you buy tickets in the bus station you walked to?

Sorry for so many questions but this is exacly what we'd like to do while there in July, maybe after we walk around Corfu Town a bit.

Here is a link to the Corfu transportation info site:

http://www.corfunet.com/agstefanos/transport.php

scroll down until you find CORFU:PALEOKASTRITSA

They will give you change for euro. It was funny, right before the bus took off this very large, rotund man got on and sat down then after a minute I noticed him giving money to people and realized that he was charging for tickets!

The ride was about 45 minutes and was wild! They dropped people off everyplace! Up narrow driveways between buildings, etc. I often wondered how the bus would get back out of where we were dropping a person off!

They drop you off right at the beach. Don't know about renting chairs, etc.

I must say that the bus ride was one of my highlights of the entire cruise-that and the metro ride in Athens!

We would have had plenty of time to walk around the old town but we didn't do that much... The bus station is right next to an old fort that looked pretty neat. We were extra conservative regarding time to get back and on the ship so we took the first bus back which gave us about 2-3 hours there. The boat ride was 10 euro each I think and takes about 30 minutes. We also walked up the hill to a monestary that was kind of interesting.

Here is a link to the Corfu transportation info site:

http://www.corfunet.com/agstefanos/transport.php

scroll down until you find CORFU:PALEOKASTRITSA

They will give you change for euro. It was funny, right before the bus took off this very large, rotund man got on and sat down then after a minute I noticed him giving money to people and realized that he was charging for tickets!

The ride was about 45 minutes and was wild! They dropped people off everyplace! Up narrow driveways between buildings, etc. I often wondered how the bus would get back out of where we were dropping a person off!

They drop you off right at the beach. Don't know about renting chairs, etc.

I must say that the bus ride was one of my highlights of the entire cruise-that and the metro ride in Athens!

We would have had plenty of time to walk around the old town but we didn't do that much... The bus station is right next to an old fort that looked pretty neat. We were extra conservative regarding time to get back and on the ship so we took the first bus back which gave us about 2-3 hours there. The boat ride was 10 euro each I think and takes about 30 minutes. We also walked up the hill to a monestary that was kind of interesting.

Thanks so much for posting the schedule and for the answers. I am glad the bus ride was memorable for good reasons, just not sure I want to devote 45 minutes each way to get there but it sure is a lot cheaper than hiring a cab in both directions.I imAGINE A cab ride is 30 minutes each way perhaps, does anyone know?

From what I've gathered from other posts I don't want to drive this route this with a rental car (am not that adventurous)

I have heard walking around the fort has good views. worth the admission price. I heard the monestary also has beautiful views too

MontrealMaria ...re...CORFU ..... the New Fort which overlooks the Port area is worth the visit and last year the Admission price was 2 Euros pp and had great views over the port, if you go to the top you can also see all of Corfu town and the Airport .... the Old Fort which is around a 20 minute walk from the New Fort on the other side of the Liston is around 12 Euros pp and has less to see, better value is to be had at the New Fort...

With regard to beaches... if you want Sand then you need to travel over to the West side of the Island! ....Paleokastritsa is probably one of if not the best place for Snorkeling on that side! there are 3 beaches. .... if you travel North to Kassiopi this again is probably the best place on the North East part of the island but has a shingle beach.

Gouvia which is closer to Corfu town also has a Marina and a small Sand/ Shale beach and it is possible to Snorkle there also, there is also the ruins of a Venetian boat yard. Dassia which is linked to Ipsos is further North around a 15 to 20 minute drive and has a long Shale beach and again you can Snorkle there as well.

With the public transport be careful where you travel to because the buses sometimes do not turn up!! ...places like Paleokastritsa, Kassiopi, Gouvia and Dassia are all well served by bus..... unless you want to drive do not consider traveling to Sidari the journey time wil be about one hour!

Pelekas and Glyfada again have wonderful Sandy beaches but not sure about snorkeling there though the buses should be ok.

Aghios Georgios ...was it the one in the North West? if so again unless you want to drive it is not easy to get to by bus despite it being a wonderful long beach.

Aghios Gordios is in the South West of the island farther down than Pelekas and again not sure about the buses.

The link to our Corfu website is below if you are interested? and hope the info is helpful.

Dave.

When we stopped in Corfu a few years ago, we rented a car right at the port. We originally planned on taking a taxi but after speaking with a driver we realized it would cost us little more to have a car and please outselves on where we went and when. We drove to Glyfada beach, spent several hours there, had an absolutely fabulous lunch at Glyfada tavern right on the beach. We had a map but the road signs were written in English as well as Greek - it was very well marked and we had no problem navigating around the island at all. We loved Glyfada - the parking was free and the lounge chairs were very reasonable. There was an elderly woman selling homemade doughnuts on the beach - sight not to be missed. The water was beautiful and warm but quite shallow for a fair distance - not the best place to snorkel but that was not what we were looking for here. After a great lunch we headed to Paleokastritsa and looked around there but were happy we did not spend our swimming time there because it was much more commercialized and busy. After all of that we still had time to drive to Corfu town and spend plenty of time looking around there, checking out the shops and eating some great baklava. We had a fabulous time in Corfu and are thinking about going back.

Kccrzr ..... good to hear that you enjoyed Glyfada .....:) we have been there about 4 times during our 16 holidays to Corfu in 5 years! once near the end of October when the beach was deserted. Needless to say we drive all over the island. The sea at Paleo can be quite a lot colder.

Near Pelekas there is a place called the Kaisers seat which is worth a visit if you return to Corfu .....:D if you decide to go e mail us on the link below and we can put you in touch with someone who can supply a real Corfu map which shows thngs that the car hire place maps do not show.

Dave.

When we stopped in Corfu a few years ago, we rented a car right at the port. We originally planned on taking a taxi but after speaking with a driver we realized it would cost us little more to have a car and please outselves on where we went and when. We drove to Glyfada beach, spent several hours there, had an absolutely fabulous lunch at Glyfada tavern right on the beach. We had a map but the road signs were written in English as well as Greek - it was very well marked and we had no problem navigating around the island at all. We loved Glyfada - the parking was free and the lounge chairs were very reasonable. There was an elderly woman selling homemade doughnuts on the beach - sight not to be missed. The water was beautiful and warm but quite shallow for a fair distance - not the best place to snorkel but that was not what we were looking for here. After a great lunch we headed to Paleokastritsa and looked around there but were happy we did not spend our swimming time there because it was much more commercialized and busy. After all of that we still had time to drive to Corfu town and spend plenty of time looking around there, checking out the shops and eating some great baklava. We had a fabulous time in Corfu and are thinking about going back.

Hi,

it sounds like you covered a lot of territory, between the two beaches AND Corfu Town-- how long were you in port for?

I was thinking of seeing the Town first and then going to the bech, in reverse order--any thoughts or advice on that? But I suppose its easiest to rent a car right from the docks when you get off the ship--did you return it there and then walk back into Corfu Town?

I've been told its not good to have a car in Town, dont need it anyway. I'd like to do this on my own, but figuring out some of these car rental pick-up drop-off logistics can be confusing since I only want the car for part of our stay in Corfu.

Any advice is appreciated.

Margo

• 2 weeks later...

I am in port for 10 hours on Sept 7th, my plan is to head to Sidori, I don't mind the drive as that is part of the fun, we will rent from Corfu Sunrise again (we were there last year).

Any guidance on how long it would take to drive if I head to Paleokastrita then take the shoreline up north to Sidari? Will that be too much driving or should I just head straight to Sidari?

Cheers,

Brad

Brad and Christi .... being Regular visitors to Corfu we would suggest that you head for Paleo First direct from the Port! up the Coast road.. it should take you around 30 to 40 minutes. From the Port turn Right and just follow the signs for Sidari and Paleo, at the Tzavros Traffic signal junction head straight on for sidari and Paleo.

You will come to a Large junction with overhead Sign Gantries, go straight on here for Paleo.... if you turn Right it takes you to Sidari.

When you have finished in Paleo you have 2 options to get to Sidari, either follow the road back to the Sign Gantries and turn Left for Sidari or you can come out of Paleo and take the Left turn which is signposted for Lakones and Aghios Georgios and Angelo Castro..... if you choose this route you will get Fabulous views of Paleo as you go up the hillside.

You should have time for a stop at a place called Bella vista which overlooks Paleo, carry on in the same direction through Lakones and follow the signs for Sidari which take you across the top of the hillside to a junction at the Top of the Trumpeta pass. Turn left here and go down the hill and around the bends until the next junction where you need to turn Right and then just follow the signs for Sidari.

Coming back to the port just follow the signs for Corfu Town which again take you over the Trumpeta pass with views of Corfu Town and down the hill to the junction with the Gantries.... turn left here for Corfu Town and the port.

Enjoy the drive and the scenery.

Dave and Kerry.

We have rented a car from corfu sunrise, we would like to see town. Where should we park? or do we walk from port to see town before we pick up the rental?? How long to drive to gyfada beach? Do you remember what it cost to rent beach chairs? or do you really need one. Thanks.

toomuchtan ... parking in Corfu town is very difficult from 7am until around 1-30pm and parking charges apply, you also have to go and find the parking attendant too .... we would suggest you go to Glyfada First and visit the town in the Afternoon after 2pm when the parking is much quieter because most Corfiots will have gone home by then and the parking is then Free! there is a road up the side of the New fort that you can see from the Port and that will be the best place to park.

Glyfada will be about a 30 minute drive maximum and a good choice of Beach .... try and see the Kaisers seat while you are over that way if you have the time, sunbeds we usually do not hire them so cannot give you the cost we instead use our Beach Towels.

Dave and Kerry.

The Kaisers Seat or Throne

kaisersseat.jpg

ToomuchTan ...... here is where to park when you go into Corfu town......The road runs up alongside the New Fort.

Hopeless holiday booker ..... having never taken the journey you mention we cannot comment on it.

kerrysfotos615.jpg

Those are great travel directions, that is our plan for sure.

How much time should we allow to get back to Corfu Town from Sidari? I figure about an hour + time to return the rental car so to be safe I would plan on leaving by 16:00 to make our 18:00 departure. Last time we were coming back from South of the airport and hit very heavy traffic trying to get through town to the ship, but I think approaching from the North should be much easier (direct access to the port)

We visited Glyfada last time (ran into some Brits at a bakery who were headed there and suggested it) it is a nice beach, but ironically we were looking more for the small rocky coves as we have access to plenty of wide sandy beaches where we live in the states, but for a day of sun on the beach I think Glyfada is a good choice, it is a very pretty beach and was not very crowded when we were there.

Brad .... have sent you E mail with details of the map contact.....:D

It will be easier to get back from Sidari than South of the port for sure having done that on quite a few occasions although we tend now to drive through the Ropa valley towards Paleo to miss the traffic. It usually takes us around 40 minutes from Sidari to the Port/Town at a reasonable speed and allowing for the Greek drivers to pass as they want to get there yesterday!....... :)

I will have a look at our map and E mail you details of getting to the Ropa valley from the port, if you want to miss Glyfada you could head up towards Paleo and go to the last Beach off the roadway i will get back to you with the name.... this one is mainly shingle and Rocks and is not far by road from Paleo.... then you can get back onto the main road towards Paleo and at the end just turn Left again and go down into Paleo ....look for the Monkeys head on the Rock as you drive into Paleo.

Dave.

We were just in Corfu a week ago. We rented a car from Top Cars, which we reserved in advance. (55euros, paid in cash, taxes and insurance included) They brought the car to the port and picked it up there at the end of the day. We didn't have too much trouble driving around the island (although you do need to be able to drive a manual transmission!) once we figured out the signage. It isn't like we're used to with a numbered route and direction (e.g. I-5 south or I-90 east), but instead would say the town your heading towards and number of kilometers. It was helpful once we figured out "Kerkyra" is Corfu Town!

We visited Achillion Palace first, then drove to Paleokastritsa. The beach at Paleokastritsa was pretty small. Our friends rented two chairs there, and I think it was 10 euros for two. We had lunch by the beach and then took a boat ride to a few grottoes (10 euros each, about a 30 minute ride). After that we drove to Agios Gordis beach, which was recommended by the rental car company as a good spot and having warming water than Paleokastritsa. It was a nice beach, much bigger than Paleokastritsa. We paid 6 euros for two chairs with an umbrella. We didn't snorkel, can't comment on a good spot for that.

After a few hours at the beach, we drove to Corfu Town. Easily parked on the street and wandered around for a short time before heading back to the ship. We did a lot in one day, but we had longer in port than you do. Every spot we visited seemed to be about half an hour drive apart.

I think taxi fares are standardized, and the following link gives rates from port to various places:

http://www.ctts.gr/content/view/15/38/lang,en/

Archived