Folkloric Show in St Petersburg - To Do or Not To Do

Couchiching

We are on the Eurodam sailing June 12th Gems of the Baltic. We have booked a private group tour with Viktoria of SPB tours for the 2 days while in St. P. We are contemplating going to see the Folkloric show on the evening of the first day. I am not sure whether after 12 hours of touring I will be in any shape to go to the show. The price is $60.00 US pp which will probably end up being $75. - $80. Cdn. Can anyone tell me whether this would be worth the time and money?

Thx

Joan

I thought it was.

I toured with Red October. The first morning we were off the ship before 8:00, and didn't return until sometime near 5:30-6:00. There was just enough time to grab a quick dinner in the Lido, and off again with Red October. The next morning the guide let us sleep in---we didn't leave until 8:30-ish!

The schedule was a killer, no doubt. I sure needed the extra hour of sleep we gained back after we left---and the one the night after that, too! :D I wouldn't have missed it for the world, though! How often do you get there??? ;)

we are also booked with Viktoria but DH and I will probably not attend any evening performance.

we know we will appreciate the quiet evening on the ship after a very busy touring day.

but of course, we know many people will make the effort for the evening and I am sure all the shows will be very enjoyable.

We enjoyed the Folkloric show. The acrobatic moves by the young men were very impressive, and the costuming, music, and dancing were nice. Even if you are tired after a long day it doesn't take any real effort to go: you ride a bus and sit and watch the show!

Is it worth the money? Maybe not, but when is the next time you'll be in St Petersburg? I don't think you'll regret the cost after you get home! :)

We are on the Eurodam sailing June 12th Gems of the Baltic. We have booked a private group tour with Viktoria of SPB tours for the 2 days while in St. P. We are contemplating going to see the Folkloric show on the evening of the first day. I am not sure whether after 12 hours of touring I will be in any shape to go to the show. The price is $60.00 US pp which will probably end up being $75. - $80. Cdn. Can anyone tell me whether this would be worth the time and money?

Thx

Joan

Is this the excursion offered through the ship? I was under the impression that it was a bit cheaper than $60 USD but maybe I misread it. Like you, I was contemplating going to see the show but our private tour with Denrus has us out early that morning as well as early the next morning so I'm really not sure if I will be booking it or not. Be sure to report back and let us know if it is really worth seeing. Thanks. :)

There are several versions of folkloric presentations available in St. Petersburg. I have been to a couple and if you know the name of the group or even location perhaps I can help. I know your days will be long and almost mind numbing with so much to see in such a short time.

Is this the excursion offered through the ship? I was under the impression that it was a bit cheaper than $60 USD but maybe I misread it. Like you, I was contemplating going to see the show but our private tour with Denrus has us out early that morning as well as early the next morning so I'm really not sure if I will be booking it or not. Be sure to report back and let us know if it is really worth seeing. Thanks. :)

No, this is not through the ship. We have booked a 2 day tour with Viktoria of SPB tours. On day one we meet at the ship between 7:00 and 7:30 and do not return to the ship until between 6 pm and 7 pm at which point we would go off to the Folkloric Show (no returning to the ship to freshen up or grab a bite. Viktoria says that there would be an opportunity to pick up a snack on the way. I'm just not sure whether I can stay awake long enough to justify the cost and hoping that it would not compromise Day 2 of our tour.

Joan

There are several versions of folkloric presentations available in St. Petersburg. I have been to a couple and if you know the name of the group or even location perhaps I can help. I know your days will be long and almost mind numbing with so much to see in such a short time.

I believe the folkloric show that we would be going to is at the Nikolayevsky Palace (Nicholas Palace) I am just not sure whether we will be too tired to actually enjoy the performance. There is so much to see and do while in St P. I think a week wouldn't be enough. I do not want to compromise our Day 2 by being too tired from Day 1 (which might happen even without seeing the Folkloric Show.) I hate not to see the show but am trying to weigh all the pros and cons. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thx

Joan

The Nickolas Palace show is one that I did see. It was entertaining but if there was one thing that I could forego in order to make the rest of the trip easier I think I would skip it. I was in St. Petersburg for a week's portion of a land tour and am eager to return next summer for another three days. There is no doubt you will be weary and overwhelmed.

Now for the event...The show is in a small hall (for a palace) and the performers are within mere rows of the audience so you do feel as if you are a part of the evening. The palace is beautiful and if you have time to wander you do get a sense of the nobility of another era. If my memory is working I think they did encourage several men and women from the audience to join in a few of the dances. The show was over an hour and started late, which we learned was not unusual.

I know it's impossible to see and do everything. There are folk groups that do come onboard for several cruise lines. Since I have not sailed HAL in the Baltic I do not know if your cruise will have an evening of regional entertainment but if available that would be wonderful. Perhaps an inquiry on the boards could answer this question and solve your dilemma.

The Nickolas Palace show is one that I did see. It was entertaining but if there was one thing that I could forego in order to make the rest of the trip easier I think I would skip it. I was in St. Petersburg for a week's portion of a land tour and am eager to return next summer for another three days. There is no doubt you will be weary and overwhelmed.

Now for the event...The show is in a small hall (for a palace) and the performers are within mere rows of the audience so you do feel as if you are a part of the evening. The palace is beautiful and if you have time to wander you do get a sense of the nobility of another era. If my memory is working I think they did encourage several men and women from the audience to join in a few of the dances. The show was over an hour and started late, which we learned was not unusual.

I know it's impossible to see and do everything. There are folk groups that do come onboard for several cruise lines. Since I have not sailed HAL in the Baltic I do not know if your cruise will have an evening of regional entertainment but if available that would be wonderful. Perhaps an inquiry on the boards could answer this question and solve your dilemma.

Thanks for the info. It is hard when there is so much to do and see with so little time to do it in. I appreciate your comments. I think we might just pass on the Folkloric show and have a quiet evening aboard ship preparing for Day 2 of our tour.

Thanks Again

Joan

We attended the Folkloric Show that was offered as a HAL shore excursion at the St. Petersburg Concert Hall. My DM had to really twist my arm to go to this after a full day of touring, but it was definitely one of the highlights of the cruise. The singing, dancing, and costumes were outstanding. I would highly recommend it.

I am glad to hear from those that said it was worth it. I booked it this morning for the May 13th Eurodam and are really looking forward to it. We aren't doing the all day tours just some we booked with HAL and this show from HAL is only $49 per person and we get to see some of the night lights of St Petersburg.

Kathy

... and we get to see some of the night lights of St Petersburg.

Kathy

I actually thought that St P was much prettier on the way back to the ship after the Folkloric show than it was during the day!! :) The "post-royal" parts of the city (which is a lot of it) are just crumbling, bleak, depressing Soviet buildings.

Archived