Where is best to cruise first in America?

themaxydog

Hi to all.

I have started this thread to pick the brains of all of you at once:). To cut a long story short I live in Australia and try to cruise at least once a year these days. As you can see recently we have cruised Asia but, with Star Cruises (NCL 50% owner) running limited cruises and older ships on mainly gambling trips, our group has decided to look further a field. We have decided that the next closest market we can get to is just across the pond to the US. With new airlines entering the market, there is finally competition on prices, and America is more accessible.

Our research has basicly divided the market into four places,

1. Alaska

2. Panama Canal ( west to east to west)

3. South America

4. Bahamas etc.

We prefer NCL for free style cruising because meal times dont interfer with party times. I understand Princess does this now so we will look at them too.

What I would like to read about is the pros and cons of each cruising area and the ships that ply the waters. Deals that we should look for. The best times of the year for each area and if there any special events that occur that shouldnt be missed. I would also like to have opinions on which area we should do first and why.

With an Asian holiday to Phuket booked for late 2009 we wont be in America until 2010 if that helps with your suggestions.

I look forward to your replys and some shall we say lively discussions on your favorite destinations.

Cheers

John

Cannot answer from personal experience but from what I have read, Alaska is an experience unlike others- and since it seems to be melting away you might want to do it before you cruise the Alaska tropical forests. It is supposed to be a wonderful cruise.

We just returned from Hawaii. We loved the Pride of America. The food, ship, service and vacation spot were great! I know Hawaii didn't make your list but we plan on going back soon.

Last year we traveled to Alaska. We had a good time there too! Lots of fun excursions.

We just returned from Hawaii. We loved the Pride of America. The food, ship, service and vacation spot were great! I know Hawaii didn't make your list but we plan on going back soon.

Last year we traveled to Alaska. We had a good time there too! Lots of fun excursions.

Thanks for that but have done Hawaii in 2006. Yes it is a great cruise.:)

I would keep the Bahamas at the bottom of that list. Blech. The Caribbean is better...or Bermuda better yet.

I'm going to Alaska for the first time in 6 weeks, but have heard nothing but spectacular things about this cruise. Coming from Australia I'd definitely look at a pre or post cruise package in Alaska.

The Panama Canal cruises are also supposed to be amazing.

I'd focus your energies on them initially...

Hi to all.

I have started this thread to pick the brains of all of you at once:). To cut a long story short I live in Australia and try to cruise at least once a year these days. As you can see recently we have cruised Asia but, with Star Cruises (NCL 50% owner) running limited cruises and older ships on mainly gambling trips, our group has decided to look further a field. We have decided that the next closest market we can get to is just across the pond to the US. With new airlines entering the market, there is finally competition on prices, and America is more accessible.

1. Alaska

2. Panama Canal ( west to east to west)

3. South America

4. Bahamas etc.

We prefer NCL for free style cruising because meal times dont interfer with party times. I understand Princess does this now so we will look at them too.

What I would like to read about is the pros and cons of each cruising area and the ships that ply the waters. Deals that we should look for. The best times of the year for each area and if there any special events that occur that shouldnt be missed. I would also like to have opinions on which area we should do first and why.

With an Asian holiday to Phuket booked for late 2009 we wont be in America until 2010 if that helps with your suggestions.

I look forward to your replys and some shall we say lively discussions on your favorite destinations.

Cheers

John

Definitely, without a doubt, Alaska. It will leave you speechless. I've never seen anything like it. Awe inspiring. Majestic. Words can't do it justice...

FYI: Princess (and other cruiselines) does the "My Time Dining"/"Anytime Dining" (or whatever they want to call it) .... BUT, keep in mind ... their ships are NOT BUILT for Freestyle like NCL's. You will have a myriad of dining choices on NCL that you simply will not get on the other cruiselines.

~dianne

Of all the cruises I have taken, Alaska tops my list. The funny thing is that my Alaska cruise was the one I was most nervous about taking due to the cooler weather but boy was I wrong. I have been wanting to go back since I went in 2005 and I will be back in two weeks. I even booked a B2B this time. The scenery is just amazing.:):)

Definitely Alaska..... Its serenity and breathtaking beauty will leave an impression to last a lifetime. Visiting there had been my dream for 12 years and I finally made it last Summer. I live and work in a major metropolitan city. When I need to relax, I reflect upon the quiet stillness of the Alaskan skies and waters. It does wonders for the soul......

Hi to all.

1. Alaska

Cheers

John

I would definitely make Alaska my very next cruise. The prices are down and the scenery is spectacular. You won't be sorry.

DT

G'day mate, Alaska was spectacular! With the Sun doing a 7-day one way from Vancouver to Whitter, or the reverse, starting in 2010, I would love to do it again. The Inside Passage is wonderful, but how much better to not backtrack once you hit Skagway. I loved taking the train from Skagway to see the route the miners took to the Yukon. Mendenhall Glacier and the nature center in Juneau was great. We took the last cruise of the season and I'd like to go back mid-season so I could take the excursion on the smaller boat to the glacier.

I think it depends on what you like to do while in ports.

If you cruise Alaska, you will see beautiful scenery and will get a good idea of what the Northwest area of America is like - very spectacular views.

But, if you like beaches and snorkling and watersports like I do, the Panama Canal is another good option. You will see some nice Mexico ports and go through the Canal (an amazing creation of man) then visit some nice Western Caribbean ports.

So I guess it depends on what you like to do.

Vette

Thank you all for your time and I think that maybe the majority say Alaska:D.

Thanks for the idea of doing a pre or post cruise tour. I have noticed that there are cruises with the attached train and coach tours for a few days and I will now lean toward these.

As far as ports with beaches, sun and surf, not really interested due to the fact I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland in Australia. We are the centre of tourism in Australia here with some of the best beaches and surf in the world. I also prefer a cruise or holiday that takes you to see something great or new rather than another beach.

I am interested in the comment made by MBARNABY99 regarding the temperature. You seemed to infer its warm and my wife is definitly not a creature of the cold. Can you give me an idea of what we should expect. With weight restrictions on luggage we will have to be carefull on how many warm clothes we take.

Thanks again to all:)

John

For sure, Alaska!!! And if you're flying that far, an add on cruisetour (or do it yourself with a rental car) for some time in the interior - Denali would certainly be worth your while. Also, keep in mind that Holland America does Anytime Dining now as well - we tried it just last year, and worked out beautifully! Most days though, since Alaska cruises are so port intensive, we'd either eat in the Lido or get room service and eat on our balcony. Both wonderful experiences. We just booked HAL's new 14 day cruise itinerary round trip from Seattle for May 31st of 2010 - it includes all the usual ports - Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Victoria, B.C., Tracy Arm cruising, but also has three new ports - Anchorage, Kodiak, and Homer as well, all with really long port times (except Kodiak). Something to consider...

Alaska is just magical - I think I may have left a piece of my heart there when we first sailed in 2006. Thats why we keep going back again and again. BUT for us, Australia is on our "bucket list" and hopefully someday we'll get to see your "home" as well! Happy sailing!:p

Depends on whether you wish to enjoy a scenic cruise, Alaska wins, or whether you wish to enjoy a beach cruise, the Caribbean wins, along with a Mexican Riveria or Bermuda. Since I have done these, I am leaning and planning a Canadian Maritimes cruise.

I am leaning and planning a Canadian Maritimes cruise.

I have two recommendations...lobsters and mussels! The lobsters in Nova Scotia are the best I've ever had...better than Maine, because the water is colder. Mussels are also outstanding. Steamed clams too, for that matter.

If you travel during the summer months,. the weather will be warm in all the ports. You might need a windbreaker and some rain gear, as it does have a tendency to rain some of the time. The only time you will need warmer clothing is if you do an excursions that will take you to a glacier, or the day the ship makes it's visit to whatever glacier it is going to. If you plan on staying outside to view it, and most would highly recommend that, you will probably need a hat and some gloves along with some warmer clothes.

As was said many times on these boards, dress in layers. A shirt, flannel maybe, a turtle neck, maybe a thin sweater and a windbreaker and you will be fine for all climates. You definately don't need the heavy winter coat.

If you plan on doing a land part, added to your cruise, the same rules will apply. Most days get to about 75-80 degrees.

Archived