I only trust Seabourners - Rome

seapenarth

Jane,

You certainly have good taste in trains( and I might add in cruise ships)!:)

and what is wrong with Amtrak?? oh yeah I forgot, I already wrote about that!! ;) we are actually thinking about taking another train journey...right across Oz this time! We live and learn!

Somehow we here in the States have forgotten about the romantic lure of slow speed travel. We forever seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere.Next time in South Africa we are definitely taking the Blue train or Rovos rail.

Jane,

You're talking about the Royal Scotsman. Not only do they stop at a distillery but also at a smoked salmon factory. In fact, they have so many single malt scotches on the train you don't even need the distillery and they INSISTED I try as many as possible. Like Seabourn, it's all inclusive so I did my best.

Seapenarth,

A great limo company in Rome is LimoinRome. You can google for the email address and address it to Stefano.

Thank you Wripro. I shall do that.

Hotel near Spanish Steps. My previous visits have been further away but any thoughts. :cool: :) ;)

Try something special, allmost on the Spanish Steps- the small hotel Il Palazzetto, rooms are nice and gives a feeling of a private home and in add a vine bar and the restaurant has a nice terrace overlooking the Spanish Steps etc.

+ another advantage you can freely enjoy all the facilities at the Hassler.

T&T

• 2 weeks later...
Martha/Jane,

If you do not want to stay at a Seabourn hotel the train from the Termini station is a very easy and inexpensive way to get to Civitaveccia. We bought our tickets at the American Express office near the Spanish Steps and it could not have been easier. The train was clean, comfortable and quick.(This was especially easy last year because we had our luggage shipped to the ship so all we had on the train was a carry on bag).

Hi Chairsin,

We're Seabourn 'sea cadets' :p and our newbie question is: When in Rome, how do you ship you bags to the ship?

We arrived from Amsterdam on the wonderful Thalys Express into Paris last year and it was my great idea to 'metro' it from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse... with our bags. She forgave me... but never again!

We still like trains, and I've used the Rome suburbans a few times in the past, but please do tell how to 'ship' the bags separately. (I'll dig out my old LP guidebook on Rome for the train details, rather than take up your time with 'timetables'!)

Many Thanks in advance!

Licia & Will.

Certainly a call/email to Anita Mann at Seabourn would be in order to see if she can arrange it. (search the BB for her number, I don't have it at hand). Not sure where you are starting from, but will you be in Europe? Staying in Rome before the cruise? If so, you can ship your luggage to the hotel rather easily, I think.

BTW, there are other Aussies who have done wonderful train travels, once across the US to Ft Lauderdale for a cruise, WITH THEIR LUGGAGE!

Which cruise are you doing?

Hi Jane,

We're doing your cruise!

But we're not on the Roll, as we're still on the cusp of booking... the original plan was to sail Singapore to Sydney a day later on Regent Mariner, as you can see, I have a history of yachts and the like, so the appeal of a 'super-yacht' or 'pocket-liner' depending on your viewpoint, was irresistible, plus, as an Aussie (well actually a transplanted Scot) the choice between Europe and a transatlantic vs seeing Bali and all those Australian cities (yet again) albeit by sea... well there's no contest!

Plus -Scotsman emerging! Seabourn won on 'bang for buck', airfares notwithstanding!

To get back to your questions, we will be starting from Singapore, where we'll be just newly wed, with one night in Rome.

I was a bit concerned that 23 nights might be too much ship to handle for Licia (an absolute maritime beginner) but reading all the shipmates wonderful threads has eased my concerns. Nevertheless the whole nine leagues (to FLL) still hangs in the balance, we are 99% doing the Med segment.

Licia n Will.

PS thanks for the luggage info!

Terrific!!! We'll have to plan a wedding event!

I know the Baines (Grannie Lorr and John) had trouble shipping luggage from Oz, and perhaps she will comment on it. You might b able to personally arrange DHl (no longer in the US) or Fed Ex.

Congratulations!

Granny reporting in!! :D We didnt try to ship luggage FROM Oz to anywhere...it was FROM the ship (in Lisbon) to Oz. I know Seabourn used to use DHL and I was going to contact them here to see what was involved but never got around to it! To us the cost was just too much....service was great, but the amount it cost would be better spent on the next cruise! After an 85 day cruise we had collected way too much to be able to get it all home. Have had trouble at airports in the past with "overweight luggage"!! :( Anyway we shipped two suitcases through Seabourn at a cost of $800.......in future we will just learn to pack lighter, buy less and develop more muscles!

BTW Jane...believe it or not....we are about to book another train trip.....across Oz to meet some Canadian "Seabourn" friends!! :D

Methinks Licia and Will are a fair bit "younger" than most of us....so probaly wouldnt have as much trouble with luggage anyway! The one problem they will have is the same all Aussies have....restrictions on weight for flights. Going to Europe is very restricted....,going to the US is much better....no idea why!

What part of Oz are you Will and Licia?

Licia and Will -- Yes, I used Seabourn's luggage valet service to ship a large suitecase from the U.S. to Rome. And good news/bad news -- the suitcase arrived and was waiting for us in our suite on the ship -- unfortunately it was a bit lighter as numerous articles had been stolen from the case.

>"BTW Jane...believe it or not....we are about to book another train trip.....across Oz to meet some Canadian "Seabourn" friends!! "

How exciting. That's a trip I would love to take. Of course I have to get to Oz first. Already, I am looking forward to your trip report. Just because it's not a cruise, you are not absolved from doing one!

I wonder if one can manage sending luggage on viva DHL/etc. by oneself? If it's going to a hotel, then it shouldn't need a port agent. I have shipped my luggage via Seabourn when I cross the Pond, as it were. I am lucky, never having has a problem that wasn't solvable by Anita. (Once the luggage wasn't picked up and then got lost in Miami, but it was located and sent on.) Having had to cancel two cruises, my luggage has been to more countries than I have!

• 1 month later...

If you are an Intercontinental Ambassador or Royal Ambassador (RA), then I would recommend the Intercontinental Rome. It is at the top of the Spanish Steps, but we didn't find it to be very noisy as it is maybe 25 meters down a side street from the top. If you are not an Ambassador, then you can purchase membership for $150 US. It includes a BOGO certificate for a weekend night, so is a very good value, and I believe you automatically get a 1 class upgrade. As an RA, you get an automatic 2 class upgrade. We were treated well an enjoyed the property.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just in case someone is reading this a year later, I did spend a day with Katie Parla and she is absolutely fabulous; well worth the price. (I think I wrote more about her on some other post but just in case that one isn't found...)

Archived