Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

OK - my first post.

According to my travel agent there is supposed to be a press release at 5PM Eastern time. She told me to hang tight until then.

Worried also....

Don't be worried.....Concerned...maybe....wait til 5

Although this information is true for most known flus, it is NOT true of this one which seems to be selecting people with presumably good immune systems. The bodies seem to be producing cytochine (sp?) storms in an attempt to protect the body. Doesn't work and causes serious difficulties. The doctor you work for needs to do his homework.

Finally, some accurate information! Swine flu appears to be more dangerous for healthy, young people. Here is a pretty good article that talks about it, and the fact that it does not appear to be more dangerous than SARS.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/hscout/2009/04/28/hscout626500.html

I have not seen that anywhere. In fact I think the opposite is true. Fever is one of the clear symptoms.... A fever over 100.2 ...

As with other influenza viral infections, people infected with the flu are contagious from a day before they feel sick until their symptoms have resolved (usually about 1 week for adults, but can be up to 2 weeks for young kids).

Edit: Fever IS one of the symptoms, but not having a fever does not mean you are not infected. Incubation period for swine flu is only 1-2 days after infection.

Just heard that "reported" cases of the flu coming out of Mexico has gone down in the last 3 days. How effective they are in communicating is a good question, especially if they sense their borders could be closed and tourist dollars, as well as commerce dollars from other businesses, will be lost. Southern california, Texas and other border areas employ a lot of transient Mexicans who regularly cross the border so the pain could be felt here as well. I would guess, though, that there are many in Mexico who cannot afford to see a doctor, or won't even if they could thinking they could just ride it out, so the real numbers could be higher. The cruise ships should, at least, stack up on Tamiflu in cases people start to develop symptoms while on board. An explanation of how the med works, steps taken by the cruise lines to help prevent illness, and generous options especially for those in delicate health, would win them future business.

This is so upsetting. Just read that Princess Cruises changed their Puerta Villarta and Cabo ports to Catalina and San Diego. Why would I want to go there, living in Los Angeles. It is absolutely freezing at sea right now. I dont have a travel insurance, but I hope they let me change my cruise for another time at least.

Kat

I'm surprised they can do this. I thought they had to stop at a foreign port at some point. But I guess in extreme situations you do what you've got to do.

I'm surprised they can do this. I thought they had to stop at a foreign port at some point. But I guess in extreme situations you do what you've got to do.

thats what I thought also? that's why the hawaii and alaska cruises leave from forign ports

I have not seen that anywhere. In fact I think the opposite is true. Fever is one of the clear symptoms.... A fever over 100.2 ...

As with other influenza viral infections, people infected with the flu are contagious from a day before they feel sick until their symptoms have resolved (usually about 1 week for adults, but can be up to 2 weeks for young kids).

Edit: Fever IS one of the symptoms, but not having a fever does not mean you are not infected. Incubation period for swine flu is only 1-2 days after infection.

I knew I had seen this information somewhere:

How can someone with the flu infect someone else?

Infected people may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 7 or more days after becoming sick. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick.

The previous was posted on the CDC site. I would recommend that anyone concerned about it read up here: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

I think I need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the US every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until May anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle Cozumel I'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about N. Korea nuking Alaska or HI. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The CDC should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

Good grief! Have you ever been really sick on a cruise ship? I bet you would care then. If you are going to get this flu, I would want to be at home for sure after the Noro hit me on a cruise. This is not worth taking a chance and getting sick or being a carrier and bringing it home.

Looks like Carnival already cancelled some Mexico ports for ships at sea right now. I'm guessing they will cancel for upcoming cruises as well.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1022010.html

I'm supposed to be leaving on the Ecstasy on May 2 bound for Cozumel and Progresso. Haven't heard any schedule changes yet.

-Jeff

• Administrators

Hi Folks!

I'm posting live from Carnival Splendor, and we just received word that we'll be making an unscheduled "technical" stop in Cabo this afternoon at 2:45 pm. No one will be debarking.

Speculation among the hosts and myself is that we'll be heading north soon afterward, and maybe porting in San Diego and/or Catalina? Wish we could steam north to San Francisco! We're thinking there isn't enough time to do that now. Bummer.

Mood on board seems fine at this point. I suspect people areally aren't paying that close attention to what the captain is saying. As a matter of fact they are still selling/buying shore excursions....

We're still in 'wait and see' mode, but I'm pretty sure our Mex Riv ports are history.

Fine w/ me actually, we're enjoying these sea days. There's a pretty great daytime atmosphere on board.

Laura

I just got back from Mexico a month ago. In March everybody was asking me if I was still going because of the violence in Mexico. That was a YES!! I just booked us a short cruise before school starts. and now everybody is asking if we are going because of the swine flu. My response has been a big YES!!! Whether we get off of the boat or float for 4 days, I don't care. That being said, this is the first cruise for many in my family, and I'd love for them to experience a port. Hopefully by July, all will be clear. I'd rather be safe than sorry anyday!!!

Hi Folks!

I'm posting live from Carnival Splendor, and we just received word that we'll be making an unscheduled "technical" stop in Cabo this afternoon at 2:45 pm. No one will be debarking.

Speculation among the hosts and myself is that we'll be heading north soon afterward, and maybe porting in San Diego and/or Catalina? Wish we could steam north to San Francisco! We're thinking there isn't enough time to do that now. Bummer.

Mood on board seems fine at this point. I suspect people areally aren't paying that close attention to what the captain is saying. As a matter of fact they are still selling/buying shore excursions....

We're still in 'wait and see' mode, but I'm pretty sure our Mex Riv ports are history.

Fine w/ me actually, we're enjoying these sea days. There's a pretty great daytime atmosphere on board.

Laura

Thanks for the update Laura. We sail on the 10th of May on the Splendor!

I do rather wish that people would leave this thread for posts about CRUISES AFFECTED BY SWINE FLU and leave all the medical advice for folks to find out elsewhere.

We can all read. We can all search the internet (we're here, after all).

You can't open a browser page without swine flu stories being plastered all over the front pages.

For goodness sake, folks. This has been going on for days. You mean you're this concerned about it but you don't know the symptoms, or how it spreads, or where it's happening, or whether people are dying? So you come to a cruise board for info on an influenze outbreak?

:confused:

Information is good. Providing medical advise (even if you are "only" copying and pasting (what happened to copyright laws?)), telling people that it will or won't be "OK" to cruise, etc, etc, really is just clogging up the thread that SHOULD be to provide CONCRETE information, rather than the usual speculate, speculate, and speculate some more.

Thanks to Laura and the others for trying to provide us with useful information as to what is happening with people's cruises. That much is greatly appreciated!

This talkes about several cruiselines, with the latest cancellations. 12:05 est

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=66114403.blog

Carnival spokesman Tim Gallagher tells USA TODAY all three Carnival ships scheduled to call in Mexico today also have stayed out to sea. The 2,052-passenger Elation, which sails out of San Diego, had been scheduled to visit Ensenada. The 2,052-passenger Carnival Inspiration and 1,452-passenger Holiday, sailing out of Tampa and Mobile, Ala., respectively, were expected in Cozumel.

This is huge news, thank you, Laura. Wishing you fun and sun wherever you end up! Keep the info coming!

Hi Folks!

Laura

Hi Folks!

Hmm. Satisfying the obligatory Jones Act?

OOPS! Polly says read all the posts before posting :slaps hand:

Archived