London to Amsterdam

Hi- we are taking the mini cruise on NCL Jade from Rotterdam to London and spending a few days in London. However, we want to get back to Amsterdam to stay for a few days before our flight leaves from Amsterdam. I know there are different options to go from London to Amsterdam and would not like to spend a day traveling and have opted to take a flight from London to Amsterdam. A couple of questions though. Which airport would be better to fly out of Heathrow or Gatwick. Also, how much time should I allow to get to the airport before flight etc. - or would I spend as much time in the airport for the short flight as I would taking train / ferry?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking at a similar thing - ship arrives in Southhampton and I want to visit my son in Holland.

Check out British Airways schedules www.ba.com Flights appear short - about 2 hours but I can't find how long it takes to go from Southhampton to one of the London airports, nor does it really say what flight or airport is available.

Trying to find ferries is equally as frustrating. Ferries seem to be about 7 hours to the continent, but are from nowhere near Southhampton.

We need some UK assistance...

I am looking at a similar thing - ship arrives in Southhampton and I want to visit my son in Holland.

You do not say where in Holland but you could fly from Southhampton on Flybe.com

You do not say where in Holland but you could fly from Southhampton on Flybe.com
I tried British Air, but they didn't list anything for Southhampton.

Found this great site for train/ferry transportation.

http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm

We'll probably fly though

Our son lives in Eibergen, over by the German border, several hours drive from any major airport.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the quick responses. To give more information, we have already considered our travel from Southampton to London after our cruise and are staying 2 nights in London (haven't narrowed down the hotels yet). I am trying to figure out after staying 2 nights in London the fastest and most direct route back to Amsterdam which is where we started our trip a week and a half earlier. British Airways leaves from both Heathrow and Gatwick. I was wondering if the flight is the best option from London to Amsterdam and if so, which airport would have the least wait to not add on to the length of the trip. Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

Thanks for the quick responses. To give more information, we have already considered our travel from Southampton to London after our cruise and are staying 2 nights in London (haven't narrowed down the hotels yet). I am trying to figure out after staying 2 nights in London the fastest and most direct route back to Amsterdam which is where we started our trip a week and a half earlier. British Airways leaves from both Heathrow and Gatwick. I was wondering if the flight is the best option from London to Amsterdam and if so, which airport would have the least wait to not add on to the length of the trip. Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

At the airport the EU flight checkin times are about the same,

Gatwick the train is right in the South terminal building so add 5-10min for the transfer to the north for BA

Not familiar with the travel times for Heathrow we use car. BA are at T5.

date for flight is 26/27. (not a lot of the cheap seats left acording to BA site)

I think I would use the airport that has the most convenient flight time/transfer from central London which depends where you are staying.

Please remember that intra-Europe flights have a much lower baggage allowance than Americans are used to and much higher excess baggage charges (even with the recent add-ons U.S. airlines have imposed).

Personally, I'd strongly consider taking the train. From St. Pancras station to Amsterdam central is 5 hours with a easy change in Brussels. Usually more expensive, but easier and just as fast when you consider toing and froing from airports, waiting for your luggage, etc.

If I were flying,I would use London City airport, BA, KLM and VLM all have non-stop flights. City is a small, sensible airport and an easy taxi ride or direct train from Canning Town and it is included without surcharge on a London Travel Card.

I know there are different options to go from London to Amsterdam and would not like to spend a day traveling and have opted to take a flight from London to Amsterdam. A couple of questions though. Which airport would be better to fly out of Heathrow or Gatwick.
Neither, if you're starting in central London.

As ab0si says, London City is the way to do it. Minimum check-in time is typically about 20 minutes - if you have baggage. And rather faster to get to from central London.

Flights appear short - about 2 hours ...
Our son lives in Eibergen, over by the German border, several hours drive from any major airport.
Your son's probably the best person to advise you on which airports are closest to him, and on the difference between them.

But you could also try flying to Dusseldorf from Heathrow with both BA and Lufthansa. And if there is a compelling case for it, you could fly Air Berlin from Stansted to Osnabruck, although the saving in travel time from Osnabruck to Eibergen is likely to be outweighed by the hassle in getting from Southampton to Stansted.

However, if you're going straight there, there is the Southampton -> Amsterdam service which seems to be the most sensible and straightforward.

Archived