Mariner on the West Coast

I remember reading a couple years back that one of the major problems with moving a Voyager-class ship to the West Coast was that there were no dry docks large enough to hold the ship if it needed repairs or just a routine dry dock. If that was the case, the Mariner would have to be coming back to the East Coast within the next couple years? Is that still an issue or is she likely there to stay?

I don't believe the dry dock situation for the West Coast has changed... The new locks that they are building for the Panama Canal, which should be done in a couple of years, will allow Mariner to make a quicker trip back for dry dock than going around South America though.

The Golden Princess is at the dry dock right now in Victoria,BC. So That might be another possibility?

I think the Golden is about the max size the dry dock in Victoria can hold and Mariner is quite a bit bigger... Golden is a little over 100,000 GT and Mariner is almost 140,000 GT

The article Phamer55 posted does say that the San Francisco dry dock is the only one on the West Coast that can accommodate current post-Panamax ships.

Archived