5-Year UK Child Passports -confusion!

Kazzykins

Hi, on booking our cruise on Indy in September the TA confused us!

My daughter (who will be 19 when we sail) got her 5 - year UK child passport just before her 16th birthday and was therefore not eligible to get an adult 10-yr passport. Our TA has thrown a spanner in the works by telling us she is sure that as our daughter has now reached 18 she will need to get an adult passport, even though her child passport will still be valid when we sail (we used it last year in Cyprus and the year before in Hong Kong & Australia no problem). Obviously I don't want to fork out £72 for a new 10 yr passport if we don't need one just yet but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if my daughter's 5 yr passport will still be ok for Gibraltar, Italy, Spain, France?

Thanks

Kaz

Manchester

UK:confused:

Hi, on booking our cruise on Indy in September the TA confused us!

My daughter (who will be 19 when we sail) got her 5 - year UK child passport just before her 16th birthday and was therefore not eligible to get an adult 10-yr passport. Our TA has thrown a spanner in the works by telling us she is sure that as our daughter has now reached 18 she will need to get an adult passport, even though her child passport will still be valid when we sail (we used it last year in Cyprus and the year before in Hong Kong & Australia no problem). Obviously I don't want to fork out £72 for a new 10 yr passport if we don't need one just yet but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if my daughter's 5 yr passport will still be ok for Gibraltar, Italy, Spain, France?

Thanks

Kaz

Manchester

UK:confused:

Your TA is an idiot. Your daughter may continue to use her child's passport until it expires:

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-child-rules.asp

You need to be asking this of your UK passport offices, not US folks, as it doesn't look like you are cruising anywhere near the US...EM

OP was provided with a link to the UK passport offices. Her daughter does not need a new passport.

You need to be asking this of your UK passport offices, not US folks, as it doesn't look like you are cruising anywhere near the US...EM

...but we UK folks log on here via Cruisecritic.co.uk so the OP was right in assuming there are UK folks on here too! :)

OP, as your daughter still has a valid passport and the passport office knowingly issued a 5 year passport just before her 16th birthday then I'm pretty sure it's still valid but just to be on the safe side it would be worth speaking to the passport office and double checking - it's only the price of a phone call. Good luck!

The passport is valid. I'll even make it easier for you :D, from Rugrats link....

When is a child too old for a child passport?

If your child is under 16 they cannot apply for an adult passport. For example, a 15-year-old who needs a passport must apply for a 5-year child passport. They can use this until it runs out, in this case when the ‘child’ is 20.

When a child reaches 16 the next passport they apply for once their current 5-year child passport runs out should be a 10-year renewal adult passport.

Archived