Bookings, Discounts, is 20% even possible C&A..HELP!

I posted this on the Oasis board, but I wanted to put it out here where there is more traffic too! :)

We are (supposed to be) crusing on the Oasis of the Seas on 1/16/10.

My immediate family has never cruised on RCL before,but we are veterans on DCL. My aunt spends a lot of time on the Freedom and is in the Crown & Anchor (but I don't know what level, I would assume she is probably Diamond, they go on a lot of cruises and usually stay in suites)..SO...

This cruise is a wedding cruise for my cousin. My aunt is going to book all the rooms for the extended fmaily (including us). According to her she gets a 20% discount on the rates for this cruise. Is this even possible for C&A? I know they get some discounts but 20% seems like a lot.

Also she thinks it will be a LOT cheaper if she waits to book until 90 days out, when the final payments are due. She swears TA's are holding rooms on the Oasis left & right and that the rates will go down and there will be lot of availablity then? Is she crazy? I know DCL is not that way at all. Prices NEVER go down on DCL. PLus DCL ships sail nearly at capcity so there are not any last minute deals.

She tells us to calm down , that she knows what she is doing but we think demand for the Oasis is way higher than she realizes. She is used to hopping on the Freedom whenever she wants at a good price, I just don't think the Oasis will be that way.

Your thoughts???

Thanks so much!

RCCL has fixed prices and C&A members do not get anywhere close to a 20% discount on cabins, so I don't understand how she thinks she's going to get that kind of a rate. C&A members, if they are Platinum and above, do get a discount on balcony or suite categories - for a 7 day cruise it's $100 for Platinum and $200 for Diamond or Diamond Plus... but that discount applies to their cabin only... *not* to everyone in their party.

It absolutely makes sense to book the cabins now... RCCCL will honor any price drops up until the time of sailing, provided they are not their Tuesday Happy Hour Specials and quite honestly, I don't see those being offered for Oasis anytime in the near future.

If you are planning to book 8 cabins or more, I'd suggest she get a good TA that could possibly put together a group sailing... With 16 purchased berths, the group would get 1 free and you could also potentially qualify for amenity points that would give you an onboard credit. Although, even this far in advance, it may not be possible to group space for Oasis.

My experience with Royal Caribbean is that if you want to go in the Oasis you need to book your cruise NOW. Remember that they are the owners of Celebrity and they sail with the Solstice at 2/3 capacity on the inaugural months and keeped the price of about a thousand. Also I think that the cruise is going to sail for first time on december so it is going to be pretty new on January to reduce prices so You are taking a chance and if you wait till 90 days probably you are going to end in the freedom class ship

UGH! That's what I was so afraid of!!! :(

Yes, she does have a TA and they are going to do a group sailing but they have known about it for like a year and we have sat here watching the prices go up...and up.....and up......but she keeps saying not to worry...

We were so afraid we knew better, and we did....

Thanks so much for your reply!!! :)

Your aunt may be saying that but actually paying the difference herself because she wants a lot to go. Even with a group discount, it would not be 20% - good luck!

OMG that would be great...but I doubt she could swing that. She does say not to worry though...heh...:p

My experience with Royal Caribbean is that if you want to go in the Oasis you need to book your cruise NOW. Remember that they are the owners of Celebrity and they sail with the Solstice at 2/3 capacity on the inaugural months and keeped the price of about a thousand. Also I think that the cruise is going to sail for first time on december so it is going to be pretty new on January to reduce prices so You are taking a chance and if you wait till 90 days probably you are going to end in the freedom class ship

Yeah, that is what I had thought myself.

My cousin absolutely wants the Oasis so I guess the date is going to change...LOL....

UGH! That's what I was so afraid of!!! :(

Yes, she does have a TA and they are going to do a group sailing but they have known about it for like a year and we have sat here watching the prices go up...and up.....and up......but she keeps saying not to worry...

We were so afraid we knew better, and we did....

Thanks so much for your reply!!! :)

Do I read that she's doing the booking but everyone else is doing their own paying? Scary.

Book now. If the price drops, you can always get the lower price.

Well, we thought about it, but we are concerned about getting in on the group and under her reservation, don't know if any of the benefits of doing that outweigh however high the price will go between now and October.

Plus we are kindof hopeful that her evasiveness means she may cover some of the costs. Ive asked her outright and she just laughs and says she wishes she could, we've also asked her straight out for her TA's name and number so we could contact them directly, but she wouldn't give that up either.

No offense intended, but your auntie sounds a little controlling.

I agree that you should go ahead and book your cabin now. She is probably betting on prices going down like other cruises she's been on, and I agree the Oasis is a whole 'nother ballgame. Her TA cannot undercut RCCL's rates, so the only way I see her getting that 20% is she books 10 cabins and gets one free, and then splits the total cost among everyone.

If you book your own cabin:

you can link to her group reservation

get the lower price if she has one (YES, RCCL honors price drops, as mentioned above)

you can change your cabin to one closer to the group if you want, also

you can switch it to her TA later

It's a win-win for you. Just call up RCCL and book the cabin, then change it later on when she books.

the group discount is one free berth for every 16 booked in double occupancy so basically 8 cabins and 3rd and 4th in those rooms don't count towards that total.

She is betting price drops on a ship one month old at that point? Sorry but that TA should be reported for negligence or sheer stupidity if nothing else because when no one can either get a cabin for your cousins wedding or afford to go, what is she going to do then?

My advice is book your self and your relatives now without telling the aunt at this point and this way you get the cabin you want at a price you are willing to pay.

If and when they do book you can be brought into the group as long as they they are still allowing groups and still allowing rooms to be added. There are cutoffs and such for groups. You may want to call RCCL directly and get information.

Confused as to why she is not allowing you to talk to her TA though.

No offense intended, but your auntie sounds a little controlling.

LOL...none taken. Nah, she isn't really...she thinks we are worry warts but we are used to crusing on high demand cruises...we knew right away this would not be like what she is used to. She is actually the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type. No planning. No worrying. She thinks it will all just some together neatly wrapped in a bow at 89 days out.:rolleyes:

I agree that you should go ahead and book your cabin now. She is probably betting on prices going down like other cruises she's been on, and I agree the Oasis is a whole 'nother ballgame. Her TA cannot undercut RCCL's rates, so the only way I see her getting that 20% is she books 10 cabins and gets one free, and then splits the total cost among everyone.

If you book your own cabin:

you can link to her group reservation

get the lower price if she has one (YES, RCCL honors price drops, as mentioned above)

you can change your cabin to one closer to the group if you want, also

you can switch it to her TA later

It's a win-win for you. Just call up RCCL and book the cabin, then change it later on when she books.

Thank you so much. It looks like that is what we will do!

This is great advise....

I'm actually a TA, so I just took a look and the group space for that Oasis sailing is no longer available... so unless she already set it up, you are out of luck in that regard...

Thank you..that stinks, though. Kills me becuase this wedding was not planned yesterday. They've known about the engagement and the prospective plans since right after the Oasis began taking bookings. The price has gone up well over $2,500 just since my husband and I have been watching!!!

the group discount is one free berth for every 16 booked in double occupancy so basically 8 cabins and 3rd and 4th in those rooms don't count towards that total.

She is betting price drops on a ship one month old at that point? Sorry but that TA should be reported for negligence or sheer stupidity if nothing else because when no one can either get a cabin for your cousins wedding or afford to go, what is she going to do then?

My advice is book your self and your relatives now without telling the aunt at this point and this way you get the cabin you want at a price you are willing to pay.

If and when they do book you can be brought into the group as long as they they are still allowing groups and still allowing rooms to be added. There are cutoffs and such for groups. You may want to call RCCL directly and get information.

Confused as to why she is not allowing you to talk to her TA though.

Yeah..me too! Thanks so much for your advice..:)

Now I just have to worry about if we book ourselves and then they decide on a different date after the pentalty phase....:eek: I guess if that's the case we won't have to worry about buying a wedding gift! ;):D

Archived